cars harvesting energy from traffic

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Brilliant. Makes me wonder where we would be right now in terms of harvesting and storing energy if electric vehicles never took backseat to gasoline counterparts roughly 100 years ago.

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
Ok I am going to say this, although it might be unpopular.....

while in a combustion engine vehicle, the need to burn more fuel to overcome the inductive force may outweigh
the charging benefits; because hybrid and electric cars may use more sustainable energy sources for battery charging
at home, the entire process offers a net increase in usable available energy.

what horse****....

Where is that 'sustainable' energy at home is gonna come from...? Windmills and solar panels and waves...? HA! :Flip: You might as well try to harvest the methane gas ejected from the world's livestock....

The most practical idea is a hydrogen infrastructure run by nuclear energy.. Granted nuclear has its drawbacks but those are solvable, while keeping the economies of scale in mind...

PS: i think we will be messing up a lot of those inductive couplings when overtaking those silly @$$ electric and hybrids... :)

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like it would be interesting as a braking system for cars. In my limited understanding of physics, magnetic fields would present hysteresis. This is a force that you must overcome entering and leaving the field. That hysteresis would create loss so I'm trying to understand where the "free energy" or even "higher efficiency" is coming from.
My chop saw has a brake to slow down the blade as soon as I release the trigger. It uses it's own mass inertia from the spinning blade and armature to create an opposing energy presented as a magnetic field to slow the mechanism. That's what they are doing with hybrid cars and buses today. They are using this energy for braking. Great idea for braking because this is energy you've already created (used) and still exists as mass inertia and you are using it against itself to create a hysteresis for slowing the vehicle.
Not trying to be a nay sayer I would just like to understand how this would generate free or more efficient energy other than using it to stop a vehicle. Stopping a vehicle this way will mean less brake pad wear and can use that energy for better efficacy in the electrical system. Remember to create the opposing field and hysteresis I must use energy (create a hysteresis field) or carry a passive device (weight in magnets)....:confused:

Last edited:

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
@ Motogiro you are spot on mate... and the really workable idea is KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems - see Wikipedia). In formula 1 they are used to provide 60 additional HP for about 7 seconds per lap. They are on road cars now as well.

Also, as for tech advances is concerned... this:
BBC News - Near field communication transforms travel in Japan
is far more impressive. Seems the FZ6 was not the pinnacle of achievement of our industrious far eastern brethren...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I am going to say this, although it might be unpopular.....

what horse****....

Where is that 'sustainable' energy at home is gonna come from...? Windmills and solar panels and waves...? HA! :Flip: You might as well try to harvest the methane gas ejected from the world's livestock....

I think they tried the live stock thing but they couldn't pay people enough for replacing the hose every time it pops out! :rof::rof:

Last edited: