Car garage fitting motorcycle tyres

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I do not have the equipment. I'd have done it myself.

Can I have my new tyres fitted at a garage that works with cage tyres? e.g. Kwik fit.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
I have no experience w/this. I'd suggest asking a tire co. (whatever you're thinking of: Big "O", etc.?) if they can do it. If they say they can - take a chance, if you're willing .
Why do that tho' if you can get it done right at a motorcycle shop?

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
The technique for mounting a motorcycle tire is essentially the same as for a cager, but that's not the problem. It's the person using the equipment. Why would you want to trust your relatively brittle alloy wheels to someone who may never have done it before? Do they know how to balance a motorcycle tire? Needs to be done in two planes to do it right. Not worth the risk. Don't be a guinea pig for someone.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Mate, I wouldn't let Kwik-fit anywhere near my bike. There are plenty of tyre dealers who supply & fit bike tyres, typically they are independent, use one of them.

Or take them to a bike dealer / repair shop. I'm guessing you've already bought the tyres & are looking for someone to fit them? All of the above will be happy to fit customer supplied tyres for a fee

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't trust anyone but an experienced motorcycle tire shop to do mine....... and I have the scratches on my wheel to show you why :(

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
Mate i personally would go to a bike shop they will take more care with your wheels.You must have been to get rubber put on your car and seen how they throw the rims around. If they do that to your bike rims what they going end up looking like :eek:

Gary

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Just seen your post.
Try this mob they're in your neck of the woods. :thumbup:

Motorcycle Tyre Fitting and Wheel balancing

I eventually went to these people because I was itching to get back on the bike. I had to call in the recovery services people to take me there. Lucky enough I had the sense to have breakdown cover on insurance policy else I'd have paid thru the nose for just changing the tires.:thumbup:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I eventually went to these people because I was itching to get back on the bike. I had to call in the recovery services people to take me there. Lucky enough I had the sense to have breakdown cover on insurance policy else I'd have paid thru the nose for just changing the tires.:thumbup:

What tyres did you have fitted?

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I don’t believe the tire changing machines are the same. Do you really think they will be as careful with your wheels as you would want them to be? I also don’t believe they know how to identify the lightest point on the tire and that it has to be aligned with the valve stem, although I have read where some motorcycle shops don’t pay as much attention to this any longer. Be safe and take it to someone who is familiar with your product and should know what they are doing.:rockon:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Support your local bike shop. In the long run it will be cheaper.

Most shops give you a deal on mounting if you buy the tires from them. They will charge full price for mounting tires they didn't sell you.

If you do take it to a car shop for some reason make sure they put those low-profile tires on those expensive chrome or black wheels. If they do, then you know they have the rubber gaurds on the tire machine that will prevent the machine from making your wheels look like crap.

But seriously, support your local shop guys and gals. It kinda strikes a nerve everytime you guys call the shops "stealerships" or mention trying on gear at a shop then ordering online. Believe it or not they are there for you.

Sorry, off soap box.

-bryan

corybusa

Reaction score
Visit site
i do mine on a car tire machine (rim clamp style). my machine does a good job on bike wheels. most car shops do not realize how easily bike wheels can get marked up so unless you know the installer well i would suggest your friendly bike shop. cory