Can I have LED for tail and regular bulb up front?

FazrDan

Reaction score
Visit site
Appreciate any help here. Last year I installed an LED tail light with integrated turn signals. I love it. I also changed out the front stem mounted signals for flush mounted LEDs. The flush mounted fronts were not bright enough so I found some bulb style signals which mount on my Powerbronze fairing. They are the three wire type because I like having the running lights. Issue is that when I plug them in they light up but don't flash. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the LED in back? The integrated LED tail light came with a built in resistor. Any ideas?

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
You need to install in-line resistors for the front LED turn signals, or an LED turn signal relay. The stock relay isn't getting enough voltage to trigger the relay, so they stay on.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you can mix LED and incandescent lamps. I don't think load resistors are a good practice for a few reasons.

1-) You have to find a home for them where they will stay insulated and not bother anything because they have to dissipate heat.

2-) The benefit of using LEDs for low current usage is circumvented.

If you change just the rear or the just the front to LED the flasher should still work but will generally flash at a faster rate. Some law enforcement will stop you for this.

Here is an electronic flasher you can get for $8.95. It will solve the flash rate problem and you won't have to worry about what combo of lights you use. It will flash at a steady pace and you won't have to figure where hot load resistors will live and be insulated. You will also save current usage.
The one you want is the LF1-S-Flat here: Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications :)

Also did your integrated tail light come with load resistors or series resistors?

Last edited: