Camping - Compact Tents

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cloggy, how big is your top-case? 60cm is quite long. ;) One thought is to pack the tent without the poles into a smaller bag and tie the poles to the luggage outside of everything. With a top-case, you could bungie them to the mount. :D

I have the same yamaha/Givi top case as is now being sold with the Grand touring I don't know how big it is. What I neglected to write was that I'd removed my tent from it's retainer bag, and strangely enough the poles were about 3/4 of this length, so it fit without any problems. :thumbup:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! That's a NICE tent you're looking at. Super light an spaceous.

I've got this one.

Microlight Tent, Two-Person: Backpacking Tents at L.L.Bean

Microlight tent, 2 person from LLBean in case the link doesn't work.

I bought it a few years ago and took it on the bike last year. It's 23"x6" packed (a bit longer than some, although I roll it inside a therm-a-rest) and it weighs the same as 1L of water (bit over 4lbs I think). Not quite as light as the one you're getting, but it is cheap (only 1/3 price) and very well made. LLBean will also replace just about anything that breaks.

Last edited:

Diger

Reaction score
Visit site
You wrote:
Anyone have an ultra compact tent recommendation for carrying on the bike? I am looking for something that ends up a VERY small package when it's ready for travel.

This is a little "outside the box." Must be seen to be believed.

Hennessey Hammocks sells a tent hammock that pitches damn near anywhere in under 2 minutes, is bugproof & waterproof while still airy, packs incredibly small & light. No poles; you'll think this was invented for bike touring. Reasonably priced. And you sleep better than you ever will on the ground. Hennessey's patented design has you sleep on a slight angle within the hammock with the result that you lie flat, not in the U-shape you'd expect in a hammock.

Downside: sleeps one only, so you'll need another for a partner. You won't store gear inside with you, and getting changed or dressed is a bit of an exercise. Airflow beneath you makes it cooler than you'd think; great for warm nights, but if it gets cool figure on using a sleeping bag rated 10-20 degrees less than you'd otherwise plan on. Don't skimp on the sleeping bag, and don't plan on layers (liners, overbags, etc.): you can't straighten out bags inside bags in a moving, swinging hammock. Just get a really good bag. If you can afford a down sleeping bag, you'll pack both it & the hammock in the same space required for a good hiking tent.

Not comparable to any other hammock: the design really is unique, and it works. See detailed descriptions, videos, user reviews, all at:

HENNESSY HAMMOCKS.com: ultra-light line of jungle hammocks, ultra-comfortable camping hammock /chair/ tent combo

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Trying the link for this hammock but it is timing out. Might be due to the big internet troubles currently in the NYC area. Alternate data routes with less capacity are being saturated heavily. :(

Sounds like a great item for a one-person trip though! I'll bookmark and try again later. Thanks!

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm happy with my hooch (army tarp) and a bivvy bag incase it rains. (Bivvy bag is like an oversized large rubber sleeping bag)
I have 2 poles that are collapsable, one for each end and the hooch holds itself up once I pin it to the ground. And I have a bug net for the times of year where the bugs are bad.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With that said, I LOVE my single wall Squall2 from TarpTent. It's crazy light and very spacious. It's not the best for moto-touring because it requires at least one trekking pole for pitching. I doubt many of us cary trekking poles on the bike. I often do, but I'm strange..

I did about 600 miles of long distance backpacking in 2003 really really liked the Squal2. Henry Shires is da man. I got tired of sleeping on the ground though so I purchased a Hennessy Hammock. Totally in love with that sleep system. However you need a couple trees and you can't sleep 2 with it. Otherwise it's really nice. Special considerations for sleeping in cold weather though since your body weight compresses your sleeping bag insulation under you so a closed cell foam pad or something below you is needed to stay warm when it's cooler. check them out HENNESSY HAMMOCKS.com: ultra-light line of jungle hammocks, ultra-comfortable camping hammock /chair/ tent combo

edit: I see Diger beat me to the hennessy recommendation. anyway i love both sleep systems