Cam chain adjuster

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello my fellow forum participants!

I have a quick question, that I would love an answer to everything please, as well as some advice if possible.

It looks like I'm FINALLY going to get my Fizzer back this week, after my unfortunate lowside IN DECEMBER!

Anyway, my bike, a 2005 FZ6, with 41000kms, makes a bit of a racket I attribute to the cam chain - and now that it has been sitting for over 6 mths, I would like to oil the cam-chain adjuster. (I've heard the auto adjusters can run dry, and thus not offer sufficient pressure on the tension guide)

So, in order to ensure correct operation, and oiling the adjuster, do I need to remove it via the 2 bolts and take the entire thing off the block, or can I just unscrew the end bolt and drop some oil in that?

A how to would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Rick

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd suggest you simply replace it. If you have doubt and it's noisy already, why not just replace it?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd suggest you simply replace it. If you have doubt and it's noisy already, why not just replace it?

+1 on the above BIG TIME.

For an $80 part that may indeed keep your engine from grenading itself, IMO, I think its well worth the investment. For the FJR, the spring, over time looses tension (causing rattling, etc), for the FZ, I suspect the same. As an FYI, the ungraded CCT for the FJR has more spring tension.

Should you wish to just lube it up, (if it was my bike), I'd pull it out and work it checking for any binding/stickyness etc (thats what the shop manual has you do to check it). Lube the snot out of it while its apart if it passes your inspection.

You may have to replace the gasket at the base of the CCT.

As for pulling it, first break the center bolt loose.
Remove the two mounting bolts and gently pull the CCT. DO NOT MOVE/CRANK THE ENGINE WHATSOEVER..

After oiling it, remove the center bolt fully, keep pressure on the tensioner and turn the center screw CLOCKWISE (located under the center bolt), the plunger will push into the CCT. Hold the screw from un-winding and put back in the block, bolt it back down. The center screw should unwind (CCW) and put tension back on the chain.

* If replacing with a new CCT, the new CCT should have a removeable tab that holds the plunger in. It makes installation considerably easier. Pull the retainer tab, the plunger pops out once its in the block.

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're installing an already open CCT, a third hand comes in super handy to keep the spring wound while you tension the bolts.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Are we talking about replacing the cam chain, or the cam chain adjuster?

Cam chain adjuster, from Ron Ayers (PartZilla is more expensive)

TENSIONER ASSY, CAM 5SL-12210-10-00 $90.31

GASKET,TENSNR CASE 4FM-12213-00-00 $2.57

So, not too shabby - it is something I might consider.

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are we talking about replacing the cam chain, or the cam chain adjuster?

Cam chain adjuster, from Ron Ayers (PartZilla is more expensive)

TENSIONER ASSY, CAM 5SL-12210-10-00 $90.31

GASKET,TENSNR CASE 4FM-12213-00-00 $2.57

So, not too shabby - it is something I might consider.

Cheers,
Rick

We're all referring to the spring loaded, automatic, cam chain adjuster that bolts to the right side of the engine, tucked in behind the frame on the right side.