Caliper Seals Parts Question

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I'm planning to rebuild my front brake caliper and looking to buy the caliper seal kits. Item 7 & 9 in the diagram at the following link:

2007 FZ6 - FZS6WC Yamaha Motorcycle FRONT BRAKE CALIPER Diagram and Parts

Based on the diagram, the top and bottom caliper seals have different part number and price. Are they really different? Should I make sure that the parts go with the right pistons?

In terms of quantity, I'm ordering:
1 x Item 7
1 x Item 9
Does that cover the seals required to rebuild both the left and right pistons ?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ S2 yes... The leading edge piston is smaller than the trailing edge by a small amount. This promotes even pad wear from end to end.
The reason being the leading edge (bottom where the rotor comes up), tips in or bites more than the trailing edge. The smaller piston applies less pressure.

Also take note that the seals are directional. It matters which way they go in.

warthogcrewchief

Reaction score
Visit site
#7 and #17 are identical: 3MA-25803-10-00
#9 and #19 are identical: 3GM-25803-10-00

Although, it appears you still need two of each as each piston has an inner and outer seal.

I found them cheaper at PartsPak. I've used PartsPak before and they were reasonable on shipping times/prices.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can get free shipping:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-3MA258031000-Caliper-Seal-Kit/dp/B00817V4LI"]3MA[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-3GM258031000-Caliper-Seal-Kit/dp/B0089ZD2EO/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1431236948&sr=1-2&keywords=3GM-25803-10-00"]3GM[/ame]

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for the explanation and confirmation. I was wondering why they would be different at all. Going for the order now; I intended to use Partspak already.

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
^^ S2 yes... The leading edge piston is smaller than the trailing edge by a small amount. This promotes even pad wear from end to end.
The reason being the leading edge (bottom where the rotor comes up), tips in or bites more than the trailing edge. The smaller piston applies less pressure.

Also take note that the seals are directional. It matters which way they go in.

Hmmmm i have mine but haven't installed them yet, so have not noticed...is the inner facing surface (against piston) of the seals beveled?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm i have mine but haven't installed them yet, so have not noticed...is the inner facing surface (against piston) of the seals beveled?

^^ Yes on the inner seal (I think the outer is just a wiper). As in, if the piston is out, push your finger over the ORIGINAL installed seals and your feel them protrude. Now as you drag your finger out, you feel the inner seal lip catch on that beveled edge.

Clean the seal landings well to remove anything in the path of the seal so its seats uniformly.

** MAYBE?? **
If you can get a macro shot of those new seals inner edges, it would great to share for an example to everyone. Thanks in Advance! :thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Also, this is the difference between Early 02 - 04 R6 calipers and the FZ. The FZ6 S2 has the smaller leading piston which promotes even pad wear. The R6 does not. For those doing R6 fork swaps, the FZ caliper is more desirable.

R6R6

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Yes on the inner seal (I think the outer is just a wiper). As in, if the piston is out, push your finger over the ORIGINAL installed seals and your feel them protrude. Now as you drag your finger out, you feel the inner seal lip catch on that beveled edge.

Clean the seal landings well to remove anything in the path of the seal so its seats uniformly.

** MAYBE?? **
If you can get a macro shot of those new seals inner edges, it would great to share for an example to everyone. Thanks in Advance! :thumbup:

Thanks and sure, when i dig into this i'll take pics.:thumbup:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a seal replacement kit with good reviews from eBay for a third of the price of buying OEMs.

The kit came in with all the seals, parts and even grease to do the replacement. I had a close look at the seals and both sides look the same. Doesn't seem to be directional, at least not in the kit I received.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I did replaced the brake piston seals finally and it was a pain to remove all pistons since there were at least two on each side which didn't seem to want to budge even by pumping oil through the lever. Judging by the state of the pistons and how tough it was to get them to move, I think it was high time for that maintenance. Sorry no pictures, it was too much of a messy work to grab my phone.

Also replaced my hoses with braided lines. A kit I bought on eBay - Venhill ; great quality and service.

All in all it was worth the effort! My bike is a 2007 and I don't know when or even if the seals were ever replaced before. If you haven't done yours in a while, I had recommend at least cleaning them like some suggested.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did replaced the brake piston seals finally and it was a pain to remove all pistons since there were at least two on each side which didn't seem to want to budge even by pumping oil through the lever. Judging by the state of the pistons and how tough it was to get them to move, I think it was high time for that maintenance. Sorry no pictures, it was too much of a messy work to grab my phone.

Also replaced my hoses with braided lines. A kit I bought on eBay - Venhill ; great quality and service.

All in all it was worth the effort! My bike is a 2007 and I don't know when or even if the seals were ever replaced before. If you haven't done yours in a while, I had recommend at least cleaning them like some suggested.

That's when an air compressor comes in handy. Put the tip in the caliper(with the stuck piston), a rag to keep the piston from flying and its a piece of cake..

If you have an air compressor, about every third ride, I give each caliber a shot of air to blow the brake dust and crap out. Seems to help a bit keeping things clean in there..

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
That's when an air compressor comes in handy. Put the tip in the caliper(with the stuck piston), a rag to keep the piston from flying and its a piece of cake..

If you have an air compressor, about every third ride, I give each caliber a shot of air to blow the brake dust and crap out. Seems to help a bit keeping things clean in there..

I didn't have an air compressor so I had to put oil back in the line to push the pistons out with the lever. However the first time one of the piston came out with all the brake oil. Wouldn't an air compressor do the same thing? If a piston come out, any air you put in will just escape that way leaving the other pistons in. In the end I had to use wood and zip tie to lock the non-stuck pistons in place so that using the lever would force the stuck pistons out. It worked but it was a waste of oil and made the whole thing messy.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't have an air compressor so I had to put oil back in the line to push the pistons out with the lever. However the first time one of the piston came out with all the brake oil. Wouldn't an air compressor do the same thing? If a piston come out, any air you put in will just escape that way leaving the other pistons in. In the end I had to use wood and zip tie to lock the non-stuck pistons in place so that using the lever would force the stuck pistons out. It worked but it was a waste of oil and made the whole thing messy.

Naw, piece of cake with the air compressor. I didn't use hydraulic actions when I did my FZ and FJR (same calipers).

Just have a pointy "blower tip". I slipped a tight piece of rubber, cut at an angle over that. Then simply slip that over the orifice in the caliper for each piston and give it a shot. 100 PSI is plenty. A pancake (small air compressor would work fine too)

Your just using air to push it out instead of brake fluid.

There's still brake fluid in there, but not much. You have to put a rag on the other side of the piston (where it would come out) or you'll shoot that thing 25' away!!

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Just have a pointy "blower tip". I slipped a tight piece of rubber, cut at an angle over that. Then simply slip that over the orifice in the caliper for each piston and give it a shot. 100 PSI is plenty. A pancake (small air compressor would work fine too)

Oh I think I get it. You probably sealed the hole where the banjo is bolted in and use air compressor to push each piston through the hole in the caliper. For next time then. Thanks for the tip.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I think I get it. You probably sealed the hole where the banjo is bolted in and use air compressor to push each piston through the hole in the caliper. For next time then. Thanks for the tip.

Exactly!!

The rubber ended tip has to be cut just right to fit nice and snug.
Without the tip, it'd probably not work or be much more difficult.:thumbup: