California Law 'Muffles' Motorcycles in 2013

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
if you ride motorcycles, there's something about the machine between your balls that gets your juices flowing. A louder machine makes the experience of riding much more enjoyable to some, and to others it doesnt matter or makes them cringe. Its not about getting attention for all loud bikers, its about what gets the riders brain raging when riding that bike. The reason we ride anyway.:thumbup:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
If people would self-regulate they'd never need laws like this. Straight pipes or megaphone style exhausts can exceed 120dB. I think anything much above 80dB can be considered a hearing hazard.

Sportbikes are LOUD too when modified. Go to a trackday, bikenight, or a race and it hurts the ears after a while and the high-pitched tone carries pretty far.
I encounter sportbikes from time to time with shortened or hollow mufflers that are really loud and crappy sounding. Usually there is a stench of unburned fuel around these bikes, so you know they are not running properly ie "false performance". Completely unnecessary to be this loud on the street. It should be possible to "make a statement" or improve performance and still keep it within reasonable range of stock.

I'll agree the general tone of an exhaust is something I like but not the extra volume. I guess I'm old now, because I like the stock exhaust. Maybe a bit deeper tone would be nice. And the craftsmanship on some of the aftermarket systems is nice to look at vs. the fake twins on the stock system. But I don't see them when I'm riding so whatever :D

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody else think it's time for California to sink into the ocean. I love a loud exhaust that sounds good but I mean aftermarket loud not NHRA drag bike loud. I know around here there are more pos ricer cars with there fart cans redlining threw town in first gear than there are bikes. People need to stop making everything that annoys them a little illegal. A loud vehicle passes your house it's there for a few seconds, If you have to listen to it in traffic whoever is probably pissed because it's interrupting there phone call. I got my exhaust because it makes the bike look better and sound better to me and stock was just to quiet for my tastes, I dont care what anyone else thinks about it.

WORBC

WOuld Rather Be Cycling
Reaction score
www.smallsats.com
I want to thank everyone for the very interesting points of view voiced within this tread and I have to say, that I'm glad to have spent nearly 25 years as a military man fighting for the freedom of speech so that we can do this.

As you see, I live in California, and honestly, I can't say it’s my favorite place to live as that would be either Paris or Sydney, however, with the weather as nice as it is and being a defense contractor, living here is the best place.

I spent about the first month on my new bike, using the OEM exhaust and while not riding a motorcycle before I didn't know any difference. I did have problems with other drivers not "seeing" me pulling out or changing lanes on me, it was very frustrating. Now since installing the new TBR exhaust for nearly a month and when I split the lane, it helps greatly as other drivers "see" me and most of them, the nice ones, move over a bit so that I can easily slide by.

TO respond to the one comment about loud exhaust being nothing but drawing attention, that's not my reason, if you saw how ugly and fat I am, you would know that the last thing I want is more attention. :BLAA:

Lastly, since the CHiPs and locals haven't been enforcing the law, as it has been on the books already, I can't really see how they will be able to enforce this one, especially since there are so many other, bigger issues out there that require so many more resources than this will.

Respectfully,

--terry

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
80db is a little low. probably some stock exhaust have difficulty passing that. over here its 106db, nothing more. vehicles have to go for annual inspections if the vehicle is more than 3 years old. if you are caught on the road with an illegal exhaust, doesn't matter if its louder than 106db or not as long as authorities dont approve it its illegal, we get a US$500 fine. same applies if we get caught tampering with the exhaust, taking out the db killer etc.
2 bros is illegal here, otherwise i would definitely have got it.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
...Lastly, since the CHiPs and locals haven't been enforcing the law, as it has been on the books already, I can't really see how they will be able to enforce this one, especially since there are so many other, bigger issues out there that require so many more resources than this will.

Enforcement of the current law would require all cops to carry sound level meters and be trained in how to use them and the protocol to do the testing. In other words, a lot of trouble. With the new law, if they think your bike may be too loud, that gives them probable cause to pull you over. Then all they have to do is check for that EPA sticker that will be required and if it's not there, you're guilty.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever. California sucks, anyway.

Why You Hatin!!!!!! Hahahaha! :eek: :rolleyes:

Life as we know it is going to end December, 21-23, 2012 anyway so who cares!!! :BLAA: :rockon:

Yeah, and as it turns out the other prediction is that California will break off and go into the ocean which means that everything around it is going to hell. So come on over Shreevy! We'll be suckin down cervezas and heading out for blasts through the mountains with water all around us! Surf's Up Dudes!!!

I think basically California law, as it is in most states, states that other than stock OEM exhaust (that includes modified) is illegal to begin with.:thumbup:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
This will just be an add-on ticket if your're already getting pulled over. Or it will be an excuse to pull you over. Other than that, cops aren't going to waste their time.

I don't understand everyone who says that it's people with loud pipes that ruin our rights. What rights? The right to have an exhaust of your choice? So basically, to preserve the right to have an after-market exhaust, you need to not have one. oooook. lol How about tell all the crybabies to stuff it? Because of them there's less and less places to off-road, shoot, or do anything fun. We're run by crybabies! How about we bring back common sense? If they don't like the sound of dirt bikes, don't move next to the freakin' OHV park! Don't like loud exhaust? Tough! There's plenty I dislike, and I have to eat it everyday! If you're in the city, it's going to be loud. PERIOD. I personally find people blasting their rap garbage that you can hear a mile away far more irritating than some harley dude with his genere-pipes.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Enforcement of the current law would require all cops to carry sound level meters and be trained in how to use them and the protocol to do the testing.

Again under current law, this is already a practice in certain jurisdictions.

I remember reading about this in the L.A. Times a few years ago - turns out it was 5 years ago!

Making Bikers Pipe Down - Los Angeles Times

The message: don't ride your straight-piped Harley through Laguna Beach. Probably don't ride ANY aftermarket exhaust-shod bike past this one particular officer.

In places where the residents have gotten indignant enough about what they consider to be a disturbance of the peace and have complained vociferously to their Police Department and City Council, they will indeed purchase or rent noise decibel meters, will be trained on how to use them, and will pull loud bikes over and spot check them.

The Vast Majority of those of us who ride with aftermarket exhaust, in Laguna Beach or anywhere else, will not need to worry about this on a day to day basis. In a densely populated area, there are simply too many competing priorities that have to be addressed before they can take specific action against loud exhaust on motorcycles, or any other vehicle for that matter.

In smaller jurisdictions - you may be more likely to get a ticket.

I agree with whoever said that good exhaust doesn't necessarily need to be LOUD exhaust. And, if you ride "quietly" through certain areas, you should be able to mitigate your personal exposure to getting busted.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand everyone who says that it's people with loud pipes that ruin our rights. What rights?

Think big picture.. This has nothing to do with just exhaust, but what you have to wear, where you can ride, when you can ride, or even IF you can ride..

Keep drawing bad attention to motorcycles, and they'll enact laws such as that you have to have headlights on at all times, have to wear helmets, have to have stock exhaust, have to wear protective eye wear, etc... Oh, that's right, they've already enacted those laws, and have tried to enact more that haven't passed, YET...

:(

As I mentioned before, loud exhaust affects everyone around the motorcycle. Small children, old people, or anyone that doesn't want to hear a loud motorcycle.. They bitch to law makers (who have nothing better to do than protect us from ourselves) and the next thing you know, there's horsepower limits, tiered licensing, mandatory gear, limits on hours of operation, NOISE LIMITS, or just an overall banning of motorcycles..

I know.. Sounds far fetched.. But is it??:eek:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
i guess its the same argument as tattoos some like em some dont but its out personal expression and should not be taken away.

It's not the same argument at all.

Your tattoo doesn't intrude into the peace and quiet of my home.

Your tattoo doesn't wake me up on a Sunday morning when I'm trying to sleep in.

Your tattoo doesn't cause hearing damage.

Your tattoo doesn't make me want to fill your exhaust pipe with expanding foam.

Your loud pipes do all of these things.

As for this law, all I can say is "Told you so."

BlueRider461

Reaction score
Visit site
The congressman that started the bill lives very close to the rock store which every week is packed with bikes that come from all over the place. There are plenty of bikes with normal modified exhaust and don't disturb the entire area like the free flow Harley guys and custom bikes that tear through that area each week. They do need to control the excessive noise but to have a law like this is way overdone and will hurt the companies that make great products and are not totally obtrusive. I am still running my new 2bros system and it is louder than stock but nothing like the goof balls that show up each weekend to ride the canyons.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wonder if the AMA will get involved?

Definately not fair to target bikes, cars with modified exhaust make just as much noise. Not arguing about the emissions, just the noise.

I am a strong supporter for using your pipes to your advantage in traffic or even in parking lots. They help you get noticed. I wouldn't go as far as that they save lives, but definatley helps you get noticed when you are next to a vehicle or near or in their blind spots. It's a preventive thing. It's hard enough to compete with loud stereos, cell phones, texting, improved soundproof vehicles.

So now a bike gets wiped out by a car, the rider should be be able to sue the state of Califronia too as they have taken away one of their preventive measures.

Look and Listen will no longer apply to drivers, just the look part.
I don't know if your argument would hold Ken.
Whilst i'm sure loud pipes help to get riders noticed .
it's a bit of a stretch to suggest they are a safety feature.
Personally when I have been in close call situations I would have
to take some measure of responsibility for putting myself
in the blind spot.

Nelly

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not the same argument at all.

Your tattoo doesn't intrude into the peace and quiet of my home.

Your tattoo doesn't wake me up on a Sunday morning when I'm trying to sleep in.

Your tattoo doesn't cause hearing damage.

Your tattoo doesn't make me want to fill your exhaust pipe with expanding foam.

Your loud pipes do all of these things.

As for this law, all I can say is "Told you so."

EXACTLY! Someone else mentioned their "rights" - well, your "rights" STOP at the point where they intrude on MINE. When you're driving/riding on public roads, IMHO, your "rights" stop within the boundaries, or within a few feet, of your vehicle (cage or bike) and, unless you drive in/onto my house/property, that does not include my eardrums while I'm inside my house (not to thread jack, but speaking of "driving into houses" - that seems to be a whole other new skill that a lot of drivers seem to have learned :confused: :( - has anyone noticed how many incidents of cars crashing into houses there have been lately? :eek:) :spank:

What I want to know is how do all these noise makers pass state inspection - at the stealership, no less - WTF??? :eek: :spank:

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if your argument would hold Ken.
Whilst i'm sure loud pipes help to get riders noticed .
it's a bit of a stretch to suggest they are a safety feature.
Personally when I have been in close call situations I would have
to take some measure of responsibility for putting myself
in the blind spot.

Nelly

And from what I've seen of the "big B.A." cruiser biker - they seem to ride as though they don't know what what that means...they're a 1%er wanna-be after all and aren't required to take responsibility for ANYTHING :Flip: - at least in their own minds :(

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Funny, but like most issues, there are two sides to every story and most of us are capable of understanding and appreciating each sides points.

The only real concern I have about this law is that (as has been mentioned already) it is redundant. The 80 db law already exists, however it is not strictly enforced as law enforcement would typically go after only the obnoxiously loud bikes that many of you have mentioned as a concern.

Now with the new law we will be required to get these stickers, which I would assume we will be charged for. If concern over noise levels were the real issue, then the politicians could have simply asked law enforcement to crack down on applying the existing law.

The existing law provides law enforcement with the opportunity to exercise their own discretion when pulling a bike over, while at the same time providing the rider with the opportunity to be different. Essentially this allows many riders to buy or create their own exhaust cans providing them with an exhaust note that is appealing to them, this doesn't mean it has to be excessively loud, like the Harley's around here (I can actually hear them as I type this).

The new law not only removes the discretion from law enforcement, stifles individual rider tastes by eliminating all cans that are essentially not OEM, specifically targets motorcyclists, but also becomes one more annual fee (state revenue source) that we as motorcyclists have to pay for the privilige to ride, very much like the 'Adventure Pass' that we have to pay for to enjoy our Federal Parks, that are already supported by our taxes dollars :eek:

Last edited:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the manufacturers will have to put a little more effort in the stock exhaust design now to go with the personality of the bikes.

Automakers do this...I recall that Honda for example during the last redesign of the Si spent a lot of effort to make a nice exhaust note while keeping it within federal requirements. BMW on the Z4 design put an acoustic enhancer from the engine to the cabin of the car. Nissan put a lot into the tone of the exhaust on the FX. Nobody would argue that a stock Ferarri sounds crappy. None are "loud", but all are unique.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, but like most issues, there are two sides to every story and most of us are capable of understanding and appreciating each sides points.

The only real concern I have about this law is that (as has been mentioned already) it is redundant. The 80 db law already exists, however it is not strictly enforced as law enforcement would typically go after only the obnoxiously loud bikes that many of you have mentioned as a concern.

Now with the new law we will be required to get these stickers, which I would assume we will be charged for. If concern over noise levels were the real issue, then the politicians could have simply asked law enforcement to crack down on applying the existing law.

The existing law provides law enforcement with the opportunity to exercise their own discretion when pulling a bike over, while at the same time providing the rider with the opportunity to be different. Essentially this allows many riders to buy or create their own exhaust cans providing them with an exhaust note that is appealing to them, this doesn't mean it has to be excessively loud, like the Harley's around here (I can actually hear them as I type this).

The new law not only removes the discretion from law enforcement, stifles individual rider tastes by eliminating all cans that are essentially not OEM, specifically targets motorcyclists, but also becomes one more annual fee (state revenue source) that we as motorcyclists have to pay for the privilige to ride, very much like the 'Adventure Pass' that we have to pay for to enjoy our Federal Parks, that are already supported by our taxes dollars :eek:
I think there are some great points in your post. Particularly from an outsider with no local knowledge.
Sadly in my eyes, I think that as always motorists are a soft target. I assume there will be some sort of ticket written for alleged defective pipes? This type of crap happens all the time in the UK. Use the motorist as a cash cow.

Nelly

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Think big picture.. This has nothing to do with just exhaust, but what you have to wear, where you can ride, when you can ride, or even IF you can ride..

Keep drawing bad attention to motorcycles, and they'll enact laws such as that you have to have headlights on at all times, have to wear helmets, have to have stock exhaust, have to wear protective eye wear, etc... Oh, that's right, they've already enacted those laws, and have tried to enact more that haven't passed, YET...

:(

As I mentioned before, loud exhaust affects everyone around the motorcycle. Small children, old people, or anyone that doesn't want to hear a loud motorcycle.. They bitch to law makers (who have nothing better to do than protect us from ourselves) and the next thing you know, there's horsepower limits, tiered licensing, mandatory gear, limits on hours of operation, NOISE LIMITS, or just an overall banning of motorcycles..

I know.. Sounds far fetched.. But is it??:eek:

I don't disagree with you at all. I was just talking about exhaust only. I just chose poor wording is all. lol I was referring to people online(not necessarily here), that claim that people with loud exhausts are going to cost everyone their right to loud exhaust, which cracks me up. This new law really means nothing. It's already illegal to modify exhaust at the federal level, period. This is just CA deciding it needs it's own laws to enforce the existing one. Which they most likely will not bother. It'll just be an add-on, or an excuse to pull us over and give us a hard time.

The way I see it, is no matter what we do, there's going to be the large group of anti-motorcycle people. NOTHING will appease them. And banning moto's doesn't seem far fetched at all. They won't try a bill that gets it all done at once, but rather, they'll chip away at it until it's too hard and/or expensive to get one. Just like they're doing with firearms! I say, regardless of our opinions on exhausts, we all stick together and tell the crybabies and lawmakers to go pound sand! The minor details can be worked out later. If harley dudes get the impression that 130db+ exhausts aren't cool, they'll find some other trend to latch onto. lol

Tuningfork : So true! If stock cans were better looking(some are), and a bit better sounding, some of us wouldn't bother replacing them. I for one think the stock FZ can is ugly. Sounds so-so, but so dang ugly. On the other hand, I HATE the TB's that came on my used FZ. WAY too loud, even with the inserts. They sound great, just much too loud. I feel bad when riding past kids. If I see someone pushing a stroller, I usually just coast by. I want the Remus cans soooo bad! And let me tell you, those inserts they come with will never come out. lol

Last edited: