California Law 'Muffles' Motorcycles in 2013

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
So does that mean if your bike is made before 2013 you have to still have it at or below 80? That sucks, I think even our stock exhausts is louder than 80!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wonder if the AMA will get involved?

Definately not fair to target bikes, cars with modified exhaust make just as much noise. Not arguing about the emissions, just the noise.

I am a strong supporter for using your pipes to your advantage in traffic or even in parking lots. They help you get noticed. I wouldn't go as far as that they save lives, but definatley helps you get noticed when you are next to a vehicle or near or in their blind spots. It's a preventive thing. It's hard enough to compete with loud stereos, cell phones, texting, improved soundproof vehicles.

So now a bike gets wiped out by a car, the rider should be be able to sue the state of Califronia too as they have taken away one of their preventive measures.

Look and Listen will no longer apply to drivers, just the look part.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
So does that mean if your bike is made before 2013 you have to still have it at or below 80? That sucks, I think even our stock exhausts is louder than 80!

Yes as this is already a requirement under CA Law, pre 2013 bikes will fall under this CA Law:

Maximum allowable A-weighted sound levels based on measurements taken at a distance of 50 ft from center lane of travel:1)Pre-1970..92dba; 2) After 1969, and before 1973...88dba; 3) After 1972, and before 1975...86dba; 4) After 1974, and before 1986...83dba; 5) After 1985...80dba (27201-27202. Motorcycle Limits).

I think the biggest thing is that at present Peace Officers pretty much give us a pass as long as your bike is not obnoxiously loud (not sure how Harley's get around this). But with the new law I am guessing that it will draw more attention to motorcycles than in the past.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
This sucks. I can see how it has come to this and other states will surely follow. The general public still see motorcycle riders as rebels, wise guys, attention getters, and law breakers. I understand noise ordinances are in place for a reason, i like and support them, but this ordinance is astonishing. There are sooooo many more noisy cars on the roads than bikes. So many more noisy day to day vehicles, venues, businesses, etc., etc.
Hey arnold, up yours! I'm gonna let my scorpions rip tonight.:Flip:

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And I'm going to be the bad guy, but this is nothing more than enforcing a law that's been on the books for years..

I'm tired of loud exhaust.. It's nothing more than a "look at me" attempt.. Wanna make noise when you need it? Try using the horn.. If your horn's not loud enough, spend $40 and get a loud one, (or two).

Loud pipes scare kids, and piss off people who vote and have nothing better to do than write letters to get more laws enacted against law abiding motorcycle riders.

I know there's a few that don't like this attude, but loud pipes don't save lives, they only remove rider's rights.. The loud pipes are drawing unwanted attention to us, and we're going to end up getting freedoms removed because we want to sound cool..

This is happening all over the country, and the only thing that brought it on was the operation of motorcycles with loud exhaust. It's only going to get worse, too..

I've got 5 bikes, and the loudest one is my stereo on my GoldWing.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
And I'm going to be the bad guy, but this is nothing more than enforcing a law that's been on the books for years..

I'm tired of loud exhaust.. It's nothing more than a "look at me" attempt.. Wanna make noise when you need it? Try using the horn.. If your horn's not loud enough, spend $40 and get a loud one, (or two).

Loud pipes scare kids, and piss off people who vote and have nothing better to do than write letters to get more laws enacted against law abiding motorcycle riders.

I know there's a few that don't like this attude, but loud pipes don't save lives, they only remove rider's rights.. The loud pipes are drawing unwanted attention to us, and we're going to end up getting freedoms removed because we want to sound cool..

This is happening all over the country, and the only thing that brought it on was the operation of motorcycles with loud exhaust. It's only going to get worse, too..

I'm with you on this one.

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm with you. I live on a main road...sucks having to pause or rewind tv because some douche wants attention. Sometimes I have to stop conversations in my home due to it. There is zero point to louder exhausts, and performance gains being minimal in most cases it's even more of a waste. Performance gains on motorcycles mostly come from rider training, and I would bet that 90% of riders of any type can't ride a stock FZ6 to it's limits.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The thing is, it's far from FZ6's that caused this issue.. It's the Cruiser Crowd, pure and simple..

Want a rare Harley??? Leave it stock, and you'll have one in a million. I get a charge out of one of the reasons they put loud, freeflow exhaust on a Harley.. "I wanted it to breathe better for more power and speed." If that's the case, why buy a Harley in the first place?

Again, I'm not trying to be a bad guy and don't shoot the messenger.. Fact of the matter is that this was brought onto us by those that craved the attention.. Sometimes you get what you asked for.

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
I agree to a point, but I hardly think a law like this should affect any of our bikes or exhausts. Never have I heard an exhaust on a sport bike that I thought was so loud it should be illegal. Cruisers/choppers on the other hand.. some of them are just deafening, and they don't even sound good :Flip:

mponder

Reaction score
Visit site
Loud pipes do sometimes save lives, when its late and you half drunk they keep you awake. I live about 4 miles from a biker bar, I can hear the loudest of the recliners at my house as they leave the bar. I would agree those bikes are too loud.:spank:

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site

(stuff snipped)

(more stuff snipped)

I'm with you on this one! Case in point - there's a particularly bad section of road nearby where multiple strip malls converge on a 2 lane 50MPH road. Over the last 2 years, there have been multiple fatal accidents between motorcycles and cars attempting to enter the malls (one has a McD's) or the road from the mall(s). Guess the types of motorcycles involved in the most of the accidents (CLUE: LOUD "chopppers"/HDs/cruiers).

I also have to agree with the other posters WRT loud cars ("tuned" exhaust or other sources) - what applies for one group, NEEDS TO APPLY to EVERY GROUP - and ACTUAL enforcement at that! :spank: :spank:

kober1

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know, some people (me included) really enjoy the sound of a good exhaust, it is usually one of my first mods on all my vehicles. Could be flowmasters on my stang or hks on my subie and now cans on the bike, just love that sound. Not getting it to grab attention although I agree there are A LOT of people who do. Anyway like most people said just doesn't seem fair to enforce on bikes and not on cars. I live on the east coast but if i know cali, I can garantee the night life is full of twice as many loud ass cars as bikes. Unfortunetly I agree that it isn't going to get better, only gonna get worse :( Better have your fun in the next few years cause it starts with exhaust and who knows where it will go next.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know, some people (me included) really enjoy the sound of a good exhaust, it is usually one of my first mods on all my vehicles. Could be flowmasters on my stang or hks on my subie and now cans on the bike, just love that sound. Not getting it to grab attention although I agree there are A LOT of people who do. Anyway like most people said just doesn't seem fair to enforce on bikes and not on cars. I live on the east coast but if i know cali, I can garantee the night life is full of twice as many loud ass cars as bikes. Unfortunetly I agree that it isn't going to get better, only gonna get worse :( Better have your fun in the next few years cause it starts with exhaust and who knows where it will go next.

Good exhaust doesn't have to be LOUD exhaust. There is a difference.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
80 decibels is a bit tight. I factory car stereo is louder than that...... I'm glad I live in a very rural area and I won't have to worry.... How about tractor trailers.... They are much louder

cowboytk

Reaction score
Visit site
i guess i have to be that guy...i love loud exhaust i always have..maybe its my love of any kinds of motorsports. i have had harleys and cruisers and now my fz6. its not a matter of attention getting its a matter of getting a sound you enjoy, and about the freedom to make something your own and make it different that the bike next to you. its what thye did in the 50's with choppers..i guess its the same argument as tattoos some like em some dont but its out personal expression and should not be taken away.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Life as we know it is going to end December, 21-23, 2012 anyway so who cares!!! :BLAA: :rockon: