C/O Adjustment, How To???

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys.
Yeah I know this has been beaten to death, but Im a new FZ6 owner and have been using the search function and google for the past week and cant seem to find a thread about how to do the C/O mod on the FZ6. I understand that you have to do a jumper on the connector that is showen in another post, but do you reconnect the connect to make the adjustment, or just make the jumper between the two points and ground and while disconnected make the change. This isnt the first time doing a mod like this, both my FJR1300 and my Warrior I did this mod, but on each of those the way to do it is differant, as im assuming it is on the FZ6. Any help at all would be great...Thanks

Sean

P.S. Ive seen the Arrow and Leo cat elim pipe, and it looks like a good mod to do, but has any just gutted the stock mid pipe. A flat head screw driver and a rubber malet would get all that out of there, and instant no cat...just curious..

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
My only comment relates to fixing the cat yourself, and you would be helping the flow, but not the weight all that much, alot of people also just get a straight through pipe made really cheap which works well and you aren't destroying your original pipe.
I know alot of people try not to damage parts they intend to replace because you make alot better money when selling your bike by selling mods seperately and the bike as stock.

It also means if you get defected, however unlikely you can just replace the stock parts.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys.
Yeah I know this has been beaten to death, but Im a new FZ6 owner and have been using the search function and google for the past week and cant seem to find a thread about how to do the C/O mod on the FZ6. I understand that you have to do a jumper on the connector that is showen in another post, but do you reconnect the connect to make the adjustment, or just make the jumper between the two points and ground and while disconnected make the change. This isnt the first time doing a mod like this, both my FJR1300 and my Warrior I did this mod, but on each of those the way to do it is differant, as im assuming it is on the FZ6. Any help at all would be great...Thanks

Sean

P.S. Ive seen the Arrow and Leo cat elim pipe, and it looks like a good mod to do, but has any just gutted the stock mid pipe. A flat head screw driver and a rubber malet would get all that out of there, and instant no cat...just curious..

You can do the adjustment with the connector open and the "extra" pin grounded provided you don't run the engine.

Ground pin --> Key on, engine off --> enter diag --> adjust --> key off --> Remove ground--> reinstall connector --> try it out

Note this means every adjustment you want to make you have to redo the entire process so if you were going to dyno tune or something it would probably save time to permanently install the ground.

How much of an adjustment are you planning? I did +20 (edit: this means I added 20 to each stock setting) on both FWIW.

Last edited:

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
Im not sure. Im looking at getting the Arrow Exhaust for my bike, so probibly about +20. Do you have to ground both sides, or just the one side of the connector...Thanks for the help so far..

Sean

motopete

Reaction score
Visit site
Why destroy your mid pipe? A cat eliminater pipe is only $100. Plus changing your CO with stock exhaust isn't going to do anything, except give you a richer mix. I run a set of Leos (no cat) and a K+N, I adjusted CO 1 +22, and Co 2 +31. Both my original settings were at 0. CO2 is supose to be 9 points higher than CO1, to keep the center cylinders cooler. It runs sweet, I want to dyno, but there isn't one in my town. Until I get to one .... I'm a mechanic tho, and I'm old school. Always done things by ear, feel, and checking plugs.

PS. I left the hot wire in, so I can keep adjusting, to find the sweet spot.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Im not sure. Im looking at getting the Arrow Exhaust for my bike, so probibly about +20. Do you have to ground both sides, or just the one side of the connector...Thanks for the help so far..

Sean

For the wire of concern, one side of the connector has a pin, the other is empty (no pin/wire). You just have to connect the existing wire to ground.

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok cool. So its like the pin set-up on the warrior i had. Thanks for that info.
I want to adjust my C/O and use the cat elim. pipe with the stock exhaust for right now. If its like my FJR was, even giving it +5 to +10 will make the bike run better, even with stock end cans. The FZ6, like the FJR comes really, lean from the factory. Leaner is meaner, but with the heat in florida, and opening up the cat, giving it a little bump will help some...

Sean

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Both my original settings were at 0. CO2 is supose to be 9 points higher than CO1, to keep the center cylinders cooler .

Where'd you get the 9 between CO1 and CO2? Seems like every one's factory settings are different and vary in absolute value as well difference between CO1 and CO2. Mine were -21 and 2 from the factory for instance.

motopete

Reaction score
Visit site
I got it from reading all the other CO threads. Most are set 9 point apart, CO2 being higher to keep the center two cylinders cooler. Krid80's write up and the 7 pages of what others have said were quite imfomative. Theres other threads on here as well.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I read the multiple threads on CO adjustment on this forum before adjusting mine - never took away that the difference between CO1 and CO2 was a fixed value (like 9) - just that CO2 was higher for the inside cylinders. Oh well - YMMV.