Buying used FZ6, what to watch out for?

seadworf

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I am thinking about buying a used FZ6 again. I looked at one the other day it was in great condition but quite greasy around the engine area, especialy at the bottom. I was wondering if this is something to worry about and if anyone knows about problems with oil leaks or something similar. Also what else do I need to look out for when buying a used FZ6. I am not a mechanic, so I appreciate any kind of advice comments and know problems with these bikes.
ta

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
check for scratches and/or gouges on the sides of the engine, grab handles, bar ends and frame. Thats a give away that it was dropped. Also it shouldnt be greasy a little road gunk is one thing but if its really oily and greasy thats not good

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I am thinking about buying a used FZ6 again. I looked at one the other day it was in great condition but quite greasy around the engine area, especialy at the bottom. I was wondering if this is something to worry about and if anyone knows about problems with oil leaks or something similar. Also what else do I need to look out for when buying a used FZ6. I am not a mechanic, so I appreciate any kind of advice comments and know problems with these bikes.
ta

What year are you looking at? The "things to consider" vary by year. Earlier models like mine had issues with the TPS and bearings, but the later models seem bullet-proof. We can point you toward what to search for.

Overall, no...I don't recall any "greasy stuff being sprayed about" issues.

seadworf

Reaction score
Visit site
What year are you looking at? The "things to consider" vary by year. Earlier models like mine had issues with the TPS and bearings, but the later models seem bullet-proof. We can point you toward what to search for.

Overall, no...I don't recall any "greasy stuff being sprayed about" issues.

Thanks guys. It's a 2004, but only 15000kms. It has been dropped but not at speed, it only has minor little scratches at handlebars. no scratches on engine, only around where you fill the oil it has some scratches but not from dropping, more from someone being careless when the old oil had been removed. The engine was only greasy at the bottom I ran my fingers along and they came up black and oily. That's what seemed strange, but i rode it for a while and it felt normal, there were also no oil drops, or leaks on the ground after about 20-30 mins.

ta

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey as long as its not buring oil I think your fine..... Make sure you pull out the dip stick to check oil color ect... Feel where the clutch bites and if brakes seem firm. Hold down front break and push forward to check if the steering bearing is wore out and bad. Check shock rebound. Oh and kick the tires. LOL if thats all good and price is right don't be afraid to buy, motorcycles can be easier to fix with minor problems.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. It's a 2004, but only 15000kms. It has been dropped but not at speed, it only has minor little scratches at handlebars. no scratches on engine, only around where you fill the oil it has some scratches but not from dropping, more from someone being careless when the old oil had been removed. The engine was only greasy at the bottom I ran my fingers along and they came up black and oily. That's what seemed strange, but i rode it for a while and it felt normal, there were also no oil drops, or leaks on the ground after about 20-30 mins.

ta

On a 2004 model i would make sure that the TPS has been done , that was a worldwide recall & freebie so i shouldnt be a problem :thumbup: As for the greasy/oily engine , what area are we talking ?? It could be something as simple as crap coming from the front sprocket :thumbup:

seadworf

Reaction score
Visit site
On a 2004 model i would make sure that the TPS has been done , that was a worldwide recall & freebie so i shouldnt be a problem :thumbup: As for the greasy/oily engine , what area are we talking ?? It could be something as simple as crap coming from the front sprocket :thumbup:

What's the TPS? Good call about the sprockets, I noticed that the chain was quite greasy and dirty and the area around the chain too. I might just go and have another look at the bike. Maybe the bike just needs a good clean...
ta

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
TPS= throttle position sensor, recall for < 07 models....
that stuff on the engine casings is strange, wondering
the same thing, accumulation of chain lube and road grime
is the most likely explanation, strange to try and sell a
bike without cleaning it first though

and I agree with the previous comments about obvious damage,
and especially the one about clutch engagement, make sure it
engages firmly, no slippage under accceleration, that's one of the
few things a poor rider can damage, other than dumping it of course

Last edited:

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
The TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor. If it's not working correctly, chances are your not going anywhere.

I guess I would maybe see if you can clean the bottom of the engine and then take it for a ride and see what "appears" when you get back. When the engines clean it's easier to see if there is a leak and where it is coming from.

Good luck with the bike and I hope it works out for you.

microstress

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought my 06 fz6 last month in a similar condition as yours and I had the same question. So far I've clean the area and the chain. I've also done an oil change. The bike runs fine for me without leaks, so I think the previous owner is just bad at doing oil changes and chain lubrication in my case. I did hAve to replace the fuel overflow hose because he also didn't route it back properly after lifting the tank and it got damaged from dropping on to the chain. ReAlly depends on the character of the seller.