Buying used FZ6- corrosion issue?

rednaxela

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, all-

I looked at a used 2008 FZ6 today, 7000 miles. Bike runs great, looks fine with one possible exception - there's a little corrosion at the headers, and a little discoloration on the chain. See pics below.

I think this is probably reasonable fair wear and tear for a five year old bike, but figured I'd check with the experts - is this something I should be concerned about, or is it within reason?

Thanks much - very glad to have found these forums.

2wdzrsx.jpg

t7esd1.jpg

124djid.jpg

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like she spent nights sleeping outside. My 2 cents... Use it to reduce the price (get quotes on new header bolts and chain ) and meet the seller somewhere in between. That assume that everything else is acceptable. You gotta be REALLY MEAN to do any kind of damage. That is not t say you can't.

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like she spent nights sleeping outside. My 2 cents... Use it to reduce the price (get quotes on new header bolts and chain ) and meet the seller somewhere in between. That assume that everything else is acceptable. You gotta be REALLY MEAN to do any kind of damage. That is not t say you can't.

Mine has slept in the pacific northwest outdoors for almost 3 years, both with and without a cover on it, and has nothing even closely resembling that. OP, is this bike near saltwater? If this what it looks like after the seller tried to clean her up I'd be a little concerned.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Vehicles from Sandy are showing up on the west coast of Canada recently....may have been flooded. More likely just ridden in the rain ALOT with no chain lube.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

The biggest thing I would look at is INSIDE THE FUEL TANK. If its been parked, especially outside (likely) without a full tank, the tank will rust inside and later usually lead to fuel pump issues.

The corrosion on the header, not a biggon, the chain, rust on it, as posted above, indicates it hasn't been maintained well (oil/wax would keep it from rusting)

I would also look at the brake fluid colors, the rear is easily seen on the right side, the ft master cylinder cover comes off with 2 screws. If its dark, it hasn't been maintained, count on performing some standard maintainance.

In general, it would indicate to me, the bike wasn't maintained to spec's.

Certainly not a deal breaker but something to bargin with and prepare to deal with....

Good luck..

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
The PO of my bike had it sleep outside for more than 4 years and as you can see in the pic, it's worst than yours.

I cleaned the exhaust and painted it black but haven't been able to do more than that on parts I can't reach. Not equipped or knowledgeable to take things apart and do a proper cleaning maintenance. On the upside, the engine runs like a charm.

View attachment 48788View attachment 48789

Last edited:

rednaxela

Reaction score
Visit site
Super helpful, folks, thank you. My takeaway is that it's not ideal, but not unheard of. And with a purchase price about $500 to $750 below market around here it's not unreasonable.

Thanks again. Off to buy a dual headlight mod wire...

Last edited:

rednaxela

Reaction score
Visit site
Closing the loop - took possession of the bike today. 15 minutes with a brass brush and the corrosion was taken care of. No rust in the tank. All in all - the bike appears to be in great shape.

Thanks again for the input - really helpful to get a sanity check from folks with actual knowledge.