Buying Used 08 FZ6 Question

newrider13

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at a 08 FZ6 being sold by a private party.

The bike has 10k miles and is stock aside from an after-market slip on and zero gravity windshield. The asking price is $3,900.

The owner stated he changed the oil seasonally and did regular chain maintenance (clean, lube, tighten).

The tires, spark plugs, and brakes are all original.

Does the age and mileage on the bike indicate that all three of the above areas will require attention in the near future?

Any other problems area that I should look out for?

Is the price reasonable?

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Brakes and tyres can be visually inspected for wear and depend on the riding style of the previous owner. My guess is the brakes will be OK but the tyres might need changing? I would think 10k miles would be about the most I'd want on a set of tyres. Brakes though can last a long time if used conservatively. Spark plugs should be fine for quite some time if there's no internal issues.

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
The tires will most likely need to be replaced given the miles. The brakes all depend on how much they were used, but I'd expect them to be due in the next year or two, but most likely not immediately. Don't quote me on this last one, but I think the chains will usually last 25k ish, depending on how well they are maintained (you should be able to visually see how clean the chain is). The spark plugs should be fine as well at this point.

Other than the standard things, such as leaks, scrapes, scratches, etc. there isn't anything in particular to look for.

The price is reasonable. I paid $4500 for my 2008 last May with about 5k miles on it.

Best of luck!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the our big family!

I think that's a good price and your getting an aftermarket slip-on which is worth some bucks. I agree the tires are the one thing you may want to change depending on wear and age. I've heard 6 years is the magic number because of aging of the rubber compounds. The compounds on a bike tire are very important because of the limited contact patch you have with bike tires.

The FZ6 is a great bike! Good luck!

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Something else to check is inside the gas tank for rust, particularly around the filler neck. My 08 fz6 had been sitting in the dealers yard for a few months and I was really annoyed that I didn't check this. They were pretty good about it and got it cleaned up for me but it took them 3 weeks.

Anyway things like that can be used to bargain down the price and may indicate neglect.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something else to check is inside the gas tank for rust, particularly around the filler neck. My 08 fz6 had been sitting in the dealers yard for a few months and I was really annoyed that I didn't check this. They were pretty good about it and got it cleaned up for me but it took them 3 weeks.

Anyway things like that can be used to bargain down the price and may indicate neglect.

+1 on the above BIG TIME!

Sounds like a good price, the chain if maintained, should be fine. If test riding, listen for a whine under load coming from the chain area (that would indicate new sprockets and chain will likely be due soon).

As noted above, if their the original tires, their probably worn out (un-less their Metzlers, Michelin PRII's, etc). I have a ft PRII tire manufactured the end of 08 (installed much later) that still looks like new/runs great.

Last edited:

newrider13

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at the bike earlier today.

Noticed a couple of issues.

The tank appeared to be free of rust however I did note some scratches directly below the tank cap. The owner presumed they were from the gas pump nozzle during fill-ups. Does this present an problem?

It will need a new front tire in the near future and the owner acknowledged that and has adjusted the asking price.

In addition there are some spots of moderate rust on the chain.

One final note

It was cold morning (about 30 degrees) and the bike started right up, though there was a little smoking from the exhaust and the bike did stall when the owner threw some revs on the throttle. He started the bike again and bike did not have any more problems.

Seller claimed that brief smoke coming from exhaust was due to bike being run by for about 10 seconds and then immediately shut off by another interested buyer in similar cold conditions a day or so before my visit. He did not have an explanation for stalling, but said that he had never encountered it before.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Did the owner/seller let the engine get a little warm before he threw in some revs - or was it simply a couple of thousand revs and not 10.000...?

newrider13

Reaction score
Visit site
Did the owner/seller let the engine get a little warm before he threw in some revs - or was it simply a couple of thousand revs and not 10.000...?

Bike was probably on for 3-5 minutes. He was showing my the sound of the two brothers slip on and reved to maybe 6k without incident and then went again for slightly more revs and it abruptly stalled.

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike was probably on for 3-5 minutes. He was showing my the sound of the two brothers slip on and reved to maybe 6k without incident and then went again for slightly more revs and it abruptly stalled.

That's slightly concerning..

Edit: Although not necessarily a problem. I would be interested to hear what the more knowledgeable guys say.

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Was it smoke or just condensation because it was cold out? If it really is smoke i'd be slightly concerned, shouldn't be burning oil at 10k but my guess would be it's just condensation :confused:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at the bike earlier today.

Noticed a couple of issues.

The tank appeared to be free of rust however I did note some scratches directly below the tank cap. The owner presumed they were from the gas pump nozzle during fill-ups. Does this present an problem?

It will need a new front tire in the near future and the owner acknowledged that and has adjusted the asking price.

In addition there are some spots of moderate rust on the chain.

One final note

It was cold morning (about 30 degrees) and the bike started right up, though there was a little smoking from the exhaust and the bike did stall when the owner threw some revs on the throttle. He started the bike again and bike did not have any more problems.

Seller claimed that brief smoke coming from exhaust was due to bike being run by for about 10 seconds and then immediately shut off by another interested buyer in similar cold conditions a day or so before my visit. He did not have an explanation for stalling, but said that he had never encountered it before.

If you can post a pic of the scratch on the tank but it shouldn't hurt anything but the looks...

Moderate rust on the chain likely means it likely hasn't been maintained, count on a new chain ( and possibly sprockets) worse case scenerio. Pull the dip stick on the right side of the engine, is the oil black? Shouldn't be if its been maintained...

As warm as it is down here, in the high 40's, on start up, I'll get white, condensation smoke. Likely not a problem, once to FULLY WARMED UP, you can re-check it. BLUE SMOKE-RUN AWAY....(its oil burning). Make sure when you go see it again, it HASN'T BEEN STARTED before you get there...

It does make me somewhat nervous when anyone (especially a bike I'm looking at to buy) revving the crap out of it dead cold... Not good... Does he ride this bike that hard all the time??

The engine is about bullet proof but NO engine, dead cold, likes to revved to 6k, kits just not good for the engine, period...

As for stalling once, it shouldn't have stalled, even cold. I would crank it up again from a dead cold start, (NO THROTTLE), it rev a little high cold and settle down to about 12-1300 RPM's

Let it warm up some and go for a ride... Once fully warmed up (OIL TOO) you can go for a ride and wind it up checking for unusual noises, hard shifting, jumping out of gear, etc...

If you have a trusted mechainic or very mechanically inclined friend familiar with bikes would be worth the investment to look at it with you...

**If you can post several pictures, from all angles, it'll tell a bunch about the bike, possible tip overs/crashes, potential front fairing damage, etc.

Last edited:

newrider13

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can post a pic of the scratch on the tank but it shouldn't hurt anything but the looks...

Moderate rust on the chain likely means it likely hasn't been maintained, count on a new chain ( and possibly sprockets) worse case scenario. Pull the dip stick on the right side of the engine, is the oil black? Shouldn't be if its been maintained...

As warm as it is down here, in the high 40's, on start up, I'll get white, condensation smoke. Likely not a problem, once to FULLY WARMED UP, you can re-check it. BLUE SMOKE-RUN AWAY....(its oil burning). Make sure when you go see it again, it HASN'T BEEN STARTED before you get there...

It does make me somewhat nervous when anyone (especially a bike I'm looking at to buy) revving the crap out of it dead cold... Not good... Does he ride this bike that hard all the time??

The engine is about bullet proof but NO engine, dead cold, likes to revved to 6k, kits just not good for the engine, period...

As for stalling once, it shouldn't have stalled, even cold. I would crank it up again from a dead cold start, (NO THROTTLE), it rev a little high cold and settle down to about 12-1300 RPM's

Let it warm up some and go for a ride... Once fully warmed up (OIL TOO) you can go for a ride and wind it up checking for unusual noises, hard shifting, jumping out of gear, etc...

If you have a trusted mechanic or very mechanically inclined friend familiar with bikes would be worth the investment to look at it with you...

**If you can post several pictures, from all angles, it'll tell a bunch about the bike, possible tip overs/crashes, potential front fairing damage, etc.

The scratches are actually on the interior of the tank, almost directly below the opening.

The bike wasn't dead cold and been on for several minutes (max maybe 5) and was idling smoothly prior to him reving the engine and the bike stalling.

Unfortunately I do not know anyone that is mechanically inclined. There is a Yamaha dealer a few miles away from the seller, so I am considering having the shop take a look at the bike prior to purchase.

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
newrider13 said:
The bike wasn't dead cold and been on for several minutes (max maybe 5) and was idling smoothly prior to him reving the engine and the bike stalling.

That's what worries me. Though I wonder if the bike had been sitting for months before now? Maybe there are some issues with the fuel and it just needs a clean/refill and a good run?

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
If there is any signs of rust on the chain, it has not been maintained. The only exception is if it sat outside for a period of time, but even then if it had been properly preped for winter it should not have rust if it were covered.

Still, at only 10k it isn't a huge problem if it is just surface rust. Most chains can be cleaned up pretty nicely with a little bit of TLC.

As for the stalling, it shouldn't have stalled at all. My bike sits cold in the garage and I can go out at 10*F and start it right up and rev it a little bit (I save the big revs for when it is warmed up). It probably isn't a huge issue, especially if it started right back up again.

Check all the cables, does the throttle snap back or does it glide back slowly? Same thing with the brake and clutch cables too. If they move slowly it could indicate lack of proper lubrication (thinking of which I still need to lube my cables).

How old is the gas that is in it? When was it last registered? As someone else mentioned, check the oil - if you can't see through the oil then it hasn't been changed in a long time. Does it have the proper amount of brake fluid and coolant?

Honestly, even given everything mentioned, if it seems in relatively good shape, it's still a pretty good price. You said the owner adjusted the price for the front tire, keep in mind it'll probably be at least 150 installed ($125 for a tire, $25 if you dismount the rim and bring it in). I'd look to try* to get it for $3600-3700 given what you've mentioned so far.

On that note of having the bike looked at by the shop, if you can get the seller to purchase an inspection, that would help too (so you're not out any money).

newrider13

Reaction score
Visit site
According to the seller the bike was ridden sparingly last season (approx. 1k miles). It has not been ridden since the fall (the age of gas in the tank) and is currently on a battery tender in an unheated shed.

The throttle seemed to snap back, but the clutch lever was very stiff. The bike is located about 65 miles from where I live, so a return trip will have to wait a week or so.

Regarding price, I was able to get $200 allotted for the front tire, so it is at $3,700.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Take this for what it is worth. My bike sat with satbil in the take for a little over a year when I was in Afghanistan. It was run for about ten minutes a handful of times to move the oil around by a friend of mine. When I got home she stalled on me once. It was warm weather and had a bit of white smoke, which suggested a little water. After I ran her a few miles and then topped her of with premium, normally run regular, but she deserved the good stuff after that long, but only about a quarter of a tank the white smoke went away, not a hint of stalling, and she ran like I dreamed she would the whole time I was gone.

PS my wife did get a little jealous at times when I talked about my bike and still does

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't think it'd cost much, but IMHO, I'd bring it down to that dealership and have them give it a once over. If that tank was half filled with fuel, there's a very good possibility of the inside tank being rusted which leads to fuel pump problems. (do a search, there are many threads: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/48043-2004-fz6-fuel-pump-failure.html

Spending a little now BEFORE YOU BUY, will save you down the road..

Between the chain being rusty and a stiff clutch lever, its somewhat obvious it HAS NOT been maintained as it should. Its nothing that can't be fixed, lubed, etc.

It'd just be nice to know what your getting into and any additional parts/labor you may have to throw at it..

** If its too costly to bring to the Yamaha dealership, perhaps, get a good mechanic from the shop(on the side), after work, to take a look and flip him a $20.00 or $ for his opinion...

Last edited:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about others, but mine really doesn't like being revved when cold. While I've never had it stall, it bogs down pretty bad until it gets around 140* or so.