Buying FZ6 that's unused for 2 years.

silasbr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I got good news!
I'm now a legitimate member of this forum with an FZ6! [emoji3]

Here it goes on what went down.

As the Current owner brought the keys out, I was checking the bike.
I could see a dirty bike, mainly street dust that has been sitting on it.

I immediately asked for him to open the tank. He tries to put the key in and it won't go in, the fuel tank cap key hole looks pretty dry. He then goes and gets a WD40 and sprays on the key hole. He keeps trying this for about 5 minutes, thinks he has the wrong key, goes inside gets another key, I tell him it should be the same as the ignition key. He sprays more WD 40 to the point it is already dripping on the side of the tank.
He finally turns the key and opens the tank cap and what do I see? [emoji1317]A ton of gunk all around the fueler tube! [emoji33]
The tank was 3/4 full so I could easily see the fuel level by shining my flashlight in.
Aaaand there was no rust! Zero! Nada! The tank looks perfect! You can see where the ⛽️ nozzle scratched the inside of the tank but no rust at all! Unfortunately since he was around I did not get pictures of the tank, I'll send some in the coming week.

I check all hoses and they all seem good, no major visible rust anywhere, no signs of leakage.

Removed the oil filling cap and shone the flashlight inside and all seems good no signs of rust there either.
Removed the dip stick and the oil looks clean, though by now any grit in the oil is probably on the lowest portion of the engine.

Break pads will need replacement soon.
Front fork seems to need new seals.
Chain and sprocket seems ok but in need of lube.
Exhaust is stock.
Clutch engaged easy though a little heavy. Not sure how it's supposed to be on the FZ6.

Key turns easy but battery was not charged.

All buttons seem to feel functional.

Tires are shot, need new tires. Any recommendations? Not going to be taking the bike to track just gonna use for daily commute and for some trips.

Cosmetics now:

Windscreen is yellow.
Front fender has a crack.
Front right signal mount seems to be broken .
Rear right side fender is a duck tape.
Seat looks good but dirty.
Tank has a really small dent.
Levers have a little scrape.
Bar end on right side is a little scrapped.
Engine has some scuffs on the left.
Frame seems good with no scratches.
Cowling seems misaligned to the tank but nothing major.

I can't think of anything else.

He was advertising it as a 2006 but it is a 2004. He honestly seemed surprised.
I explained to him the year mistake and everything needed to get it looking and running good and we closed the deal at 750. Also Included is a cover, tender, extra battery and a big GIVI Trunk.
Gave him a deposit and he gave me one of the key sets as he had the spare as well. I will pick up the bike tomorrow.

Thank you all for the help and soon I should start a new thread with the revival of this FZ6.

Please let me know if you can spot any point of concern, nit mentioned by me, in the pictures.

Here goes the pictures.

03f60a55e1df4a25fba2ef5020941c35.jpg

864b8a788ff292c9f4df856e8b806931.jpg

b3e315d7ec4e390462cf0fce7f59bd9b.jpg

2e2782a04bc683f106a39fcc626af6f2.jpg

082f538e62bab1b2b1627164b6a2e77a.jpg

3f8ea5394c608ce092ce54b9c07aa3ff.jpg

90e6b32f89d9542fd795bbfb859a8fa8.jpg

fcbc3c38dbc1d9c110b1ab3de1474581.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_6033.jpg
    IMG_6033.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 29

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the front fairing bracket is a bit bent from the pictures. You can try to bend it back once you have all the plastic off.

The GIVI case and rack is a nice bonus. If they're in good condition that covers nearly half your purchase price right there.

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Pujazuba,

Can you share your concerns as well please?

Also, what do you consider a bargain?

Thank You,

Silas
Congratulations! The bike looks better than I expected.
There's plenty of great advice above.
I would also do the following:
- Definitely / Replace brake fluid front & back completely and bleed the system.
- Preferably / Replace the seals in the brake system.
- Definitely / Check the strength of the coolant.
- Preferably / Flush & replace coolant.
- Clean and lube all moving parts such as gear lever linkages/pivots, stands, pegs, clutch/brake handles.
- Dismantle, clean, lube throttle grip.
- Lube throttle/clutch cables.
- Check & adjust chain slack.
- Synchronize throttle body (professional task).

And of course a full service according to the manual.

Last edited:

Topher

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck I did the same thing with mine its a 2005 a guy had sitting in his garage for a while and it runs great.

silasbr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, sorry for the disappearance got busy at work this week.
[MENTION=27937]Pujazuba[/MENTION] thank you for this last list it will be helpful.

Today I started cleaning the FZ6 today and boy it is dirty, it has leafs all over and gunk all over the chain and other parts. Apparently no leaks of oil.
The coolant level was low, not sure if I should worry about it.

It still needs a lot of cleaning and detailing.
It has a ton of grease mixed with dirt in the chain and sprocket, still trying to find out the best way to clean it.

Intake was clean of critters.

Should I crank the engine manually before trying to start it?
Should I fog the engine? This one I might do as there is no harm.

Thank you all for the support again!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd replace the oil and filter, drain the fuel and put new one, take off the spark plugs and pour 1tea spoon of oil in each cylinder, then put it in 6th and rotate the rear wheel, check the battery and only then try to start it.
Also, I'd be sure the CCT is functional and not seized, checking it as soon as possible as well.

PS: great find for 750! If not stolen and with no crash signs I'd have bought it on the spot.

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Clean the chain/sprockets with what Yamaha recommends.... Kerosene, then gently rinse with soapy water. After it dries use Honda Pro Chain Lube with moly. For 10 bucks a can it's the bees knees.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Clean the chain/sprockets with what Yamaha recommends.... Kerosene, then gently rinse with soapy water. After it dries use Honda Pro Chain Lube with moly. For 10 bucks a can it's the bees knees.

Just an FYI, I contacted Honda about that lube ^^^, vs the same with WHITE GREASE: https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Chain-White-Graphite/dp/B007XHPUW6

They recommended the white graphite for street use as it lasts longer. Moly is more for race bikes, that get lubed much more often...

Been using it for at least two years, great stuff.... Just about no fling...