Buying FZ6 Fazer before test / insurance

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
best of luck, don't do anything stupid or try and be clever. your instructor must think you're ready for it, so just try not to do anything wrong. If you think you've made a mistake, forget about it and carry on :)

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my mod 2 tomorrow, bricking it a bit now, trying to think along the lines of "Just ride the fekin bike, you know how too ffs" but its hard to keep that thought. Perhaps after a warm up lesson beforehand I will feel better.

Wish me luck.

I wish you luck! I was bricking it too when I had my mod 2 but just treat it as a normal ride out and enjoy it and soon you will forget about the fat balding instructor following you ;) good luck :D

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, not long got back home, been a long day without food etc.

Took my test at 10:55am after a lesson around the local streets in Burton on Trent. First left out of test centre, straight over first island, follow signs for A38 and head towards Lichfield. So far so good, hit 70 mph on A38 and felt quite nice :) Follow signs for Walton-on-trent, came off slip road, right indication for island - balls! missed the lifesaver, never mind, carry on.

Felt better at that point and continued the ride, 40 minutes was over in a flash!

Back to test centre, not sure of result as had a couple of moments.

Result - PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 - Minors.

Bike is on it's way, will be delivered at 6pm today, insurance arranged also.

Ain't felt like this since the birth of my 2 kids.

Fantastic!

Steve.

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike has arrived as promised, had a quick look over but have to babysit the kids tonight while Mrs is at work, shame, nice weather here for a quick ride :)

Maybe tomorrow.

Insurance was £240.99, thought that was ok fully comp for new rider.

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats mate! Enjoy and make sure you have decent leathers or textiles everywhere on your body. Hope weather is half decent where you are, was pretty good south today.

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
That's fantastic news, Steve! Well done! :) Now the real fun starts. :D
Like Tanman said, keep fully clothed all the time and take it easy. The FZ6, she is a beast and ye shall learn to tame her :D:thumbup:
Word of warning, watch the throttle, I imagine it's more responsive than the ER.

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Ref clothing, currently wearing textile gear, RST ventilator III jacket (which is excellent btw) and RST Trousers, both with armour in all the right places. Got some decent boots but will get some summer ones as the Spada's can make my feet a bit warm. Alpinestars SP8 gloves and a Shark S700S skid lid. All i need now is a satnav and a full tank of fuel!

Roll on the summer!

NakedRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I think thats the best decision Steve.
Are you doing direct access or are you taking it on a 125cc? If direct access, you should have no problem riding the FZ6 straight off. If you're jumping from a 125 to FZ6 it may be a bit of a shock but after a couple of weeks on the carpark, you'll be as good as gold.
Good luck with the test.

Got to agree, did my DAS on kwak ER5 then a few more weeks on my 125 before getting my FZ6. Best move I made.

Spine just noticed your pic, is that outside Rivi Barn?

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back in from my first proper ride of the FZ6, impressions so far.

Negatives

1) gearbox has an industrial feeling to it but works well enough
2) Engine / transmission whine, especially evident in 4th
3) bit windy from stock screen.
4) Seat hurts my arse after 2 hours in the saddle :)

Positives

1) Goes like stink!
2) Nice and controllable at slow speed
3) Goes a long way on a little fuel.

Have loads more to add later but at the moment my brains melting, Shark helmet is bit noisy, might have to go and try a shoei or arai.

Bit wet at times today, made me tighten up as never been out in the rain before but it soon dried out enough to get composed again. Had a good ride around Hinckley / A5. Opened it up to 10K and felt a sudden rush of power / adrenalin. Can see what this biking lark is all about now and arrived home in 1 piece :)

Time for a sleep now.

Steve.

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
Glad you had a good time on your first FZ6 ride, Steve.

Re: Gearbox, I always find neutral to first, and first and second a bit clunky but that's a running issue with Yamaha's in general I think (at least the FZ1 from peeps I've talked to)

As for the seat, that's why god made Top Saddlery!
Top Sellerie, sellerie moto

I'm thinking of a top saddlery seat too as my bum is uncormfortable after a solid hours riding without stops.

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Well its been a week since owning the FZ6 now and it feels great, managed to put 170 miles of local riding on her since Sunday and feel far more relaxed now. Brakes are sharp and only need a small amount of pressure i'm finding, usually only need one finger on the lever to use them. Throttle can be a little bit sharp at times even though it's had the tps recall done and the clutch seems to have a narrow operating window but it's getting easier and thinkg with a few more miles i'll have it cracked.

Engine does seem to whine in 4th more than others but not overly intrusive. Love the power for overtaking, even in 6th doing 40 mph it pulled like a train for a recent overtake. Got myself a Drift HD now so looking for the next fine day for a bit video work.

Really enjoying riding though, sense of freedom and involvement in whats happening makes the cage dull in comparison.