Buying FZ6 Fazer before test / insurance

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Just joined and have a quick question, has anyone purchased a bike before passing direct access / test and managed to insure it while it's kept in a garage. If I see the right bike I want to get it before my test and will need somekind of insurance on it even though it won't be ridden. House insurance won't cover it unfortunately.

Any views on this?

Thanks,

Steve.

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
Hey Steve and welcome to the forum

When you get your insurance, they'll ask you what sort of licence you hold. If you have provisional down, it might rocket your insurance sky high.
Some dealers will hold the bike for you for a few weeks if you buy the bike or you can pay them to keep it there under their insurance. Again, not all dealers will do this, just the nice ones in my experience, so it's worth asking them.

If I was you, I'd wait until you've actually passed the test until purchasing. In the meantime, close your eyes and don't look for any bikes for sale and concentrate all your energy on the test. Good luck! :thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
you can get it insured for transporting and storage in your garage (normaly for people with track bikes), costs about £100/yr), can't remember what company offers it though

alternative is to get soime very good locks and hope it doesn't get stolen, or get the bike once you pass

if you're doing DAS then the FZ6 is a fairly manageable bike

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I got mine insured before I passed my test, but only because I bought it and arranged to trade in my 125 the day after my test.... which I failed on the u-turn.

I had to get someone else to ride it home for me then it sat in the garage as I failed the damn u-turn another 2 times before passing on the 4th attempt. 4 years later I can't think of a single occasion when I've had to do a "no feet down" u-turn. Grrrr.

I told Bennetts (the insurers at the time) and it didn't make any difference. I guess they think I'm less likely to drop it if it's in the garage than riding it :p

Excellent first bike though. You'll enjoy it.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my timeline:

*Scheduled course
*Got permit - quick written test - $8
*Found bike - got insurance over phone at time of sale - priced at new rider with permit
*Got temporary tag - $10
*Could legally ride now within parameters of permit (no night/passenger/highways/...) but I chose to put it in the back of a pickup.
*Inspected/titled/registered.
*Took course over weekend - will call insurance company once I go back for the official M endorsement, and get my rebate.

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all, as hard as it will be i have decided to wait until i have my full license in my grubby mit before spending my hard earned. Mod 1 is next Wednesday at Burton on Trent, mod 2 asap afterwards but have heard that they are quite busy and could be up to 3 weeks.

Damn hate waiting ..............

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
they are quite busy and could be up to 3 weeks.

Damn hate waiting ..............
That's nothing. Delaware course is booked 8-9 weeks out right now. Imagine the feeling... "Hmmm, you know what? I'm going to buy a bike just like I always wanted! Yessireee! Now let me just sign up for that course....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s]Darth Vader NO! - YouTube[/ame]
"

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your test!

There is no need to rush to get your first bike before you've taken the test. At this part of the season there are plenty of bikes for sale.

Also you should check out this post. It's a long artical but very informative.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/new-riders-q/983-potential-riders-must-read-15.html

Just read through that info, as you said it's quite a long read but does highlight a lot of important issues. I am still seriously considering the FZ6 as my first bike, if i could hire a 125cc from somewhere local I would but nobody does that kind of thing round here. I am not daft though, if I doubt my ability to ride it after passing my test then of course I will go for something less powerfull until ready.

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
I think thats the best decision Steve.
Are you doing direct access or are you taking it on a 125cc? If direct access, you should have no problem riding the FZ6 straight off. If you're jumping from a 125 to FZ6 it may be a bit of a shock but after a couple of weeks on the carpark, you'll be as good as gold.
Good luck with the test.

eddie444

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi gd luck with ur mod one it's a piece of piss don't panic just ride an don't try an concentrate to much on it you'll b fine

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with your test! I purchased my fz6 2 weeks before my test. It was just a case of right bike wrong time and I just had to get it there and then. My old man had passed 6 months prior and I was still living in his 3 bed house alone so I managed to store it in the lounge as I was the only one in the house! Drove me mad just sat there staring at me.... I got my bike insured the day before my test so I could ride it straight away after getting home from my test on my Peugeot 125. The insurance company were really helpful and had no issues doing this for me. I think it was mce insurance although looking through the docs just now I see I paid £1,254 for the year though! Age 19 with 1 year ncb. Due for renewal next month and have been quoted £300 with 3 years ncb :). Good luck and don't do what I did and worry yourself stupid :D

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with your test! I purchased my fz6 2 weeks before my test. It was just a case of right bike wrong time and I just had to get it there and then. My old man had passed 6 months prior and I was still living in his 3 bed house alone so I managed to store it in the lounge as I was the only one in the house! Drove me mad just sat there staring at me.... I got my bike insured the day before my test so I could ride it straight away after getting home from my test on my Peugeot 125. The insurance company were really helpful and had no issues doing this for me. I think it was mce insurance although looking through the docs just now I see I paid £1,254 for the year though! Age 19 with 1 year ncb. Due for renewal next month and have been quoted £300 with 3 years ncb :). Good luck and don't do what I did and worry yourself stupid :D

So far been quoted between £236 and £265 for fully comp on a 2006 FZ6 Fazer, no NCD or otherwise. Must be my age :)

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
I think thats the best decision Steve.
Are you doing direct access or are you taking it on a 125cc? If direct access, you should have no problem riding the FZ6 straight off. If you're jumping from a 125 to FZ6 it may be a bit of a shock but after a couple of weeks on the carpark, you'll be as good as gold.
Good luck with the test.

It's direct access on a 500, Kawasaki ER5 at the moment, it's nice enough to ride but I feel a bit squashed at the rear, want my arse a bit higher up :)

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Did my Mod 1 at Burton, was quite hot on the pad but PASSED!!!!!!!!!

No minors either, clean sheet, well chuffed :)

Got my Mod 2 booked for 13th June (good job I'm not superstitious)

So, with that in mind and the fact I have missed 2 nice Fz6 Fazers recently I decided to take a trip to Alf England at Bedworth and have secured a 2005 FZ6 Fazer, 17K on the clock with TPS recall completed in 2006. If all goes to plan it will be delivered on the 13th to my house. Dealer will store bike for me until I pass which is nice :)

Will come with a new 12 month MOT, Serviced, Taxed and full valet.

Happy days :)

Can someone recommend me some summer textile gear now, today was killer in my semi-winter stuff.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my timeline:

*Scheduled course
*Got permit - quick written test - $8
*Found bike - got insurance over phone at time of sale - priced at new rider with permit
*Got temporary tag - $10
*Could legally ride now within parameters of permit (no night/passenger/highways/...) but I chose to put it in the back of a pickup.
*Inspected/titled/registered.
*Took course over weekend - will call insurance company once I go back for the official M endorsement, and get my rebate.
The UK test is like taking a PhD in comparison to what you guys need to do. I wish it was as easy for the UK riders.
Nelly

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
Wahey! Congrats Steve! Hard part over, now it's just the Mod 2 which I believe isn't as hard.

Great news on the bike too, hope you show us some pics of your baby when you get him/her/it?

I ride with Hood kevlar jeans in warmer weather, like what we've been having recently. Rode an hour to Southport on Monday in the heat, it was top banana.

Motorcycle Jeans from Hood Jeans UK

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
The UK test is like taking a PhD in comparison to what you guys need to do. I wish it was as easy for the UK riders.
Nelly

Yeah, but I kinda wish it was a *little* bit more challenging (or at least better designed/paced) for the US.

For me with ~1500 miles on the saddle by the time I took my test, I could have passed the skill/written evaluation without the course. BUT, I would have come nowhere near the score I got WITH the course (100/100).

I did learn a lot, but I had to mention to the instructors about the pace. It's designed for people who have never ridden before. There should be a Never Ridden Before course, and a Can Get Around The Block Without Dumping course. The instructors said they hear this comment all the time.

---

Congrats, BTW. I can only attest to one pair of gloves - A* SMX2. I like them quite a bit.

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my mod 2 tomorrow, bricking it a bit now, trying to think along the lines of "Just ride the fekin bike, you know how too ffs" but its hard to keep that thought. Perhaps after a warm up lesson beforehand I will feel better.

Wish me luck.