Burning oil/rubber smell?

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
After turning the bike off I notice a burning smell. Its kind of oily, but there's no leak. Its also a little rubbery, but nothing is rubbing or melting that I can see. There's also no smoke. Bike runs fine, sounds fine, feels fine. Just wondering if there's anyone with similar experience. Its an '07 Thanks! :thumbup:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I get the smell after I change the oil, I always manage to get at least one drop on the headers. It also had a burning smell when it was new. I think it went away around 150-200 miles.

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
That might be it. The last oil change did get a little messy. I thought I had cleaned it all off though. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it gets better. Thanks!

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
I get the smell after I change the oil, I always manage to get at least one drop on the headers. It also had a burning smell when it was new. I think it went away around 150-200 miles.

+1. I can never seem to clean off 100% of the spilled oil, and then I freak out when the smell hits me! Every time!

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i notice it from time to time, and i think it is indeed because of the oil that accumulates on the underside of the bike. for me it mostly gets on the center stand and immediate area. a blast of WD-40 on it, a hard wipe, repeat, and that should take care of it. also i get a funny smell when i have applied too much chain lube. it slings off around the front sprocket and burns. the first time i lubed the chain i had put on so much, i was at a light and noticed smoke around the bike. i thought it was the POS car next to me and started to laugh at him, until i realized it was me :eek:. freaked out for a second until i figured it was the lube burning off something hot it had touched. that is what made me change chain lube tactics: center stand, slowly roll the tire down (like the bike would be going backwards), gently spray WD-40 on chain until you reach the point where you started, crumple a few paper towels in your hand and grasp them around the chain, roll tire again to get the chain moving until you have made a few revolutions, then spray a few new papertowels with lube until they are quite soaked, roll tire again until all chain is covered, get new papertowels and lube them again, roll through the chain again, take new towel and wipe off excess, and all done. dunno if that is the perfect way, but it eliminates sling and is an easy way to clean at the same time. works for me, anyway.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
better than WD-40, brake cleaner works great in removing all the oil and chain grunge that gets sprayed near the sprocket area, oil pan and the side stand pivot ..

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for the chain lube slinging and burning. A month ago I warmed the chain, sprayed a good quantity of lube and several hours later had to drive hard for 1+ hours. When I stopped there were even some smoke coming from the vertical part of the exhaust that's under the seat. It was the chain lube... :)

BTW when changing oil I always put some aluminium foil (used for cooking) and wrap the exhaust pipes with it to avoid spilling oil over sensitive places.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After turning the bike off I notice a burning smell. Its kind of oily, but there's no leak. Its also a little rubbery, but nothing is rubbing or melting that I can see. There's also no smoke. Bike runs fine, sounds fine, feels fine. Just wondering if there's anyone with similar experience. Its an '07 Thanks! :thumbup:

I've smelled it too. I don't know what it is.