Broke something on the bike today :D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
MY L PLATES!.......

Passed my R class practical test today - I'm fully legal on my FZ6 :cheer: :cheer:

In Western Australia, you first get an RE class learners permit (maximum 250cc) then sit for your RE class. I did this a year ago, passed, then immediately got my R class learners permit (any motorcycle over 250cc). For the past year I have had to ride my FZ6 with an L plate, my R class learners permit and a shadow.

Today I sat my practical test (in the rain...... :() and passed with flying colours - not one point off.

Mike took me out to lunch to celebrate and then I went for my first SOLO FZ6 ride.

I'VE BEEN SET FREE PEOPLE :cheer::D:cheer::D

Big kiss to Mike for being patient with me and helping me become a good, safe rider :blowkiss:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I'm impressed with how in depth the process is for you guys! Perhaps, we should be adopting something similar here in the US to prevent squids from getting Busa's and killing themselves. Congrats!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats!!

Here you do a figure 8, go up an incline from a stop, and do some right and left turns while up and down shifting.

Then you get your license and can go to hell and back on whatever you prefer, be it a moped or hayabusa.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had to do figure 0's not 8's here, emergency stops and just a general ride around a suburb with an instructor, making sure to indicate correctly, keep in the correct wheel track, etc etc.

WA is different to the other states. Some of the other states allow you to ride up to a 600cc bike on your learners permit. Not to worry - all legal now :thumbup:

Last edited:

Skeebo

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, way too easy to get licensed here in the states. I was exempt from the riding test since I took a moto safety course, but I actually failed the "written" test the first time cause I studied the wrong book :spank:
Studied the right book for 5 minutes, re-took the test and got a 100.

Anyways, congrats on the new-found liberation and ride safe. ATGATT!

On a side note, I think the requirements to get a regular driver's license needs to be a little tighter, cause there are some real IDIOTS out on the roads these days. If I have another close call due to someone on their phone, I think I'm gonna shoot something. :Flip:

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
I started from scratch...

49cc for about half a day [CBT] - On a Twist & Go bike
49cc to 125cc, moving onto a geared bike - 2 days [DAS]
125cc - 500cc Kawasaki - 6 Days [DAS]

All were about 1-2 hours sessions, I passed my Direct Access on a Kawasaki allowing me to ride any bike/any size :)

Nice to hear you took your time, and was taught properly. Two years down the line, and i'm still learning... :rolleyes:

vj

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Kazza! I remember going for my first solo ride after passing my test - what a great feeling! In the words of Mel Gibson's William Wallace - Freeeeeeeeeedoooooooooom!!!!!!!!!!! :D

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done Karen,nice feeling isn't it :thumbup:

I did my test in the rain too,but being raised in Tassie I didn't have much choice ,lol

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
So for 12 months you have to ride with a "shadow"? Someone else on a different bike with you? Wow, Crazy....... Here in the ACT we are Power to Weight restricted (150kw/tonne) for minimum 3 months up to 2 years, then same restrictions for 12 months on P's (Provisional licence), then whatever. Power to Weight Restrictions means some people can jump on a 1300cc Cruiser on their Learners Permit!!

Congratulations :cheer:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well Done Kazza, told you that you would kill it! Good Job, and you must have a decent teacher in that boy of yours too...and lunch as well!!! Sheesh!

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, congratulations Karen! It's always nice to lose an "L" off of something you have to "wear." ;)

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done Karen! :thumbup:
I only wish we had the same stringent licensing requirements here. But I guess that would dry up the "used, low miles, down only once", Gixxer market...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:cheer::cheer: Congratulations Karen! :cheer::cheer:

Didn't know you folks had to go through all that, but to tell the truth, as many have mentioned, it might be a better process for us in the states.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Way to go!! That 'L' plate looks like a damned parachute... how could you move??? ;) Seriously though, good job! :cheer::cheer::cheer: