British Superbike @ Brand's Hatch (Pictures + Video)

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So BSB is kicking off...

And I can sum BSB at Brand’s Hatch up pretty much in two words…

…HOLY ****.
Haha

So amazing. To the guys here it’s just their domestic league and local circuits. But the sheer scale combined with the outstanding quality of it all….it just boggles the mind. Seriously. From trackdays to club level racing through the various groupings you progress through to get to the BSB race teams and league… the whole thing is just one big, giant community that is extremely well organized and run.

It’s massive, well-organized, and the quality is just spectacular. It is a testament to what is possible when people work to build something and keep at it for a really long time. I mean, Brand’s Hatch opened in 1929…haha that’s mental. The British brought a great many things to the world. And motorsports is one of them. This place is pretty ridiculous. The accessibility alone really shows you how good it can get. If you look up the various trackday companies and start plotting a list of what tracks you can haul a bike to and start turning laps (for a surprisingly reasonable price) it’s pretty wild.

Anyway… On to the purpose of this thread.

Race season 2013 is kicking off in clubs and leagues around the world. Appetites have been building over the off-season…but it’s all here now, finally.

Good times.

Thought I'd throw up some pictures and relive the magic.

bsb-bh01-banner-960x300px__1_.jpg

Circuit info:
Brands Hatch - Circuit Information

They ran the “indy circuit” for round 1:

brands-hatch-indy-circuit.jpg

Don't have a copy of the schedule I can throw up, but it's a really full day from 10am till about 5:30 or thereabouts. LOTS of racing.

Get there and check out what’s going on:

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

Coming round the front straight…

IMG_3234.jpg

They get up to a pretty good pace, as is quite clearly shown here:

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

I’m not sure if the bigger venues for the MotoGP races around the world give you the same level of access, but with this place you really feel like you are in your own backyard. You can drive all the way up to the circuit in some places, and walk around wherever you want. Everyone just kind of sets up in a really laid back way and nobody is really that bothered about anything. The organizers are really laissez-faire with just about everything but they run everything like clockwork and you don’t see anyone really break a sweat while managing and running a ridiculous number of machines. Everything runs RIGHT on time. Crashes are cleared out instantly. Potentially VERY dangerous situations are dealt with without any hoopla and with staggeringly quick response times. I’ll explain that one a bit later.

So anyway, you can pretty much walk around the circuit and go anywhere you want except the main central hot-pit area which also has the top BSB riders set up nearby in the built-in facilities. All the other riders (in a giant maze of caravans, vans, and tents haha) set up in the lower paddock. You can buy passes to the individual grandstands as well. The views are better from the grandstands, but the ones closer to the end of the circuit and the front straight are a bit too far from where most of the action takes place between paddock hill and cooper straight. But since there’s so many races and the track’s so big, having the ability to go wherever you want is nice. You have just enough time between the races to go get set up somewhere else. There’s a lot of angles you can watch the race from and you can literally walk right up to the track surface in most places. It’s pretty damn sweet. Some of those corners are fast as hell. And these guys really want to win. So intense.

You can get some special packages for £50-75 on top of the admission cost of £31. But I just went with getting access to a couple grandstands for £10-15 each. In the end this seems like the best way to do it. You wouldn’t get much better views from being inside the buildings, and being in the open air picking up the smell of the race gas and the noise of the machines is way better than being tucked away behind glass. If it was raining though…
They do have a package which lets you go into the director’s tower though. THAT would have been sweet. But I didn’t realize you could do that until after the races were over.

View from the best grandstand imo…Paddock Hill. You get to see the most action from here and can still see the rest of the circuit as well. Good seats:

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

A little bit further down the circuit near the lower paddock area:

IMG_3276.jpg

^That corner has a wicked drop. It’s not as crazy a drop as the corkscrew, but it’s still enough to make your heart jump into your throat I’m sure. Loads of riders were having their machines squirm around in the dip at the bottom. Crazy stuff.

IMG_3277.jpg

Walking around the lower paddock you get to see everyone from guys who showed up in a van all the way up to proper race teams just hanging around and getting **** done. Just spectacular.

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

Sweet setup:

IMG_3285.jpg

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think she wants to come out and play…

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3296.jpg

Dunlop tire changing station:

IMG_3294.jpg

Came across a statistic that Pirelli (not shown) brought 4,000 tyres and five trucks, with 16 tyre fitters working from Thursday to Sunday. Big scale production no doubt.

Back over to Paddock Hill for the literbikes!

IMG_3268after.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

I’ve got to take off for a bit, but I’ll throw up the rest a bit later. Got some video too.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great picture Lone! Looks like you really enjoyed the day. Thank you for bringing us to the races! :)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
tbh I heard (rumours) that some of the teams aren't playing fair and are cheating, or at least bending the rules quite a bit. I guess that's inevitable when you have sponsors throwing stacks of cash around

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

“Please send help. Must win races.” Haha awesome.

IMG_3396.jpg

From vans to big corporate teams. Big range of competition with rider ability being the great equalizer.

IMG_3400.jpg

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cooool.
IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

IMG_3423-1.jpg

“Don’t mind me. Just won some trophies is all.”
IMG_3425-1.jpg

BSB about to kick off…
IMG_3430-1.jpg

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Great photos!

Brands Indy circuit is brilliant to watch races as most places offer views of the complete track.
Got a couple of mates racing minitwins there this weekend. Only £10 to get in I think and you can wonder around the main pits too.
Proper grassroots racing!!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be envious! I'm sure there is tons of epic racing action reasonably near you if you put some time aside to go check it out.

It's always worth it.

More pics and video coming. The best stuff is still on my hard-drive I'll post it in the morning.

XD

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome pics man! Brands is one of those "Must See" places on my list...along with Cadwell, the I.O.M., The Nordschliefe etc... Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Lucky dog you.:steve::popcorn: One of the best tracks in the world.:rockon:

Great photos.:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Epic thread Lone , thanks for sharing !!!! Cant wait for the video , I have always dreamed of visiting 'The Hatch' now I dont need to ;)...... Always wanted to go there & watch the BTCC :thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Helicopter on standy!
IMG_3791-1.jpg

IMG_3795.jpg

IMG_3799-1.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3813-1.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3817-1.jpg

IMG_3818-1.jpg

IMG_3837-1.jpg

IMG_3843-1.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4159.jpg

Best race of the day kicks off. This one was wild. Epic battle at the front of the pack.
British Supersport Championship Round 1
IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

The guys on the green kawis put on one hell of a show.
IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_4577.jpg

Dropped down to third place on the final few laps…
IMG_4583.jpg

Big gains up to second place…
IMG_4581.jpg

But the hero on the day, #34….this guy!
IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

IMG_4607.jpg

Getting ready for the second BSB race…
IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4643.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

IMG_4680.jpg

*Hear a buzzing noise* Oh hey, it’s the young’uns on the wee-bikes!
IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

They still have the aggression though, that’s for sure…
IMG_4696.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg

Maybe a bit TOO much aggression though…
IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_4703.jpg

The crews reacted immediately though. It was actually pretty amazing how quickly they managed the situation. One guy came ripping past a red flag he should have stopped at and a couple guys in the next corner started running at him to get him to slow down and take the inside line. If they hadn’t done that there would have been one more bike added to that pileup…
IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

Stuck around for a bit to check out the sidecars after this, but ran out of space on the memory card for the camera. Good times.
IMG_4709.jpg

Got some video I’ll throw up at some point but for now this has sapped the majority of the morning getting these sorted. Haha hope you guys enjoyed em. Amazing racing at an amazing track.

Day after tomorrow they are at Thruxton. Pretty wild.