breathing !

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
If you combine it with a PC or Rapidbike you should get some gains.
On a stock bike it's not really worth it.
If your stock is worn and you need to replace, you could get a K&N, pipercross, ... But you might as well get another stock one.

Ps: 5hp on 95hp ... that's 100hp :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you combine it with a PC or Rapidbike you should get some gains.
On a stock bike it's not really worth it.
If your stock is worn and you need to replace, you could get a K&N, pipercross, ... But you might as well get another stock one.

Ps: 5hp on 95hp ... that's 100hp :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

I changed to a K&N, opened the airbox and Dyno'd the bike. Saw 4 HP difference at the rear wheel. Also keep in mind that most of us that are doing this have a different exhaust.

If I didn't have other mods I would stick with the OEM filter and keep the airbox stock.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed to a K&N, opened the airbox and Dyno'd the bike. Saw 4 HP difference at the rear wheel. Also keep in mind that most of us that are doing this have a different exhaust.

If I didn't have other mods I would stick with the OEM filter and keep the airbox stock.

Did you dyno the same day with about the same temp, before and after?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW

Here is Micah's take on it... he is a "dyno tuning God" (per Hellgate):

"I have K&N filters in a couple of my engines, but most I keep the stock filter. After almost a decade of dyno tuning I have yet to see an actual gain on a modern sportsbike from a low restriction filter and often a tiny loss. I assume this due to a diminished resonant effect in the airbox since the filter "backflows" air as well as it does let it into the box to began with. Resonant frequency is determined by several variables including total airbox volume which is the volume from the filter to the intake valves of the motor. Now exceptions to this general rule are made for cruisers, especially Yamaha cruisers with their TINY little air filter, replacing it with a low restriction unit definitely makes power. The SXV and RXV are another example of anything or nothing being better than stock.

I suppose the thing we have to remember is that we do not care at all about big "flow" numbers, we care about charge trapping efficiency. This is what makes power, bigger holes and less restrictive filters will definitely win on a flow bench, we are not driving/riding flow benches.

In general sportbike airboxes seem to be very well designed and thought out from the factory. The Honda CBR1000RR is no exception but this was the first and only time I have ever had to actually read the instructions to install an aftermarket intake filter...."

dobbeusaf

Reaction score
Visit site
K&N, I am not using it for the power gains but for the fact that it is cheaper in the long run vs stock. I don't mind the fact that I have to clean it every once and awhile.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
In my manual they state to change the air filter after 40.000km.
Thats about 24.800 miles if I am correct.
I don't know how many miles you guy's are planning to do on the FZ but ...

3 stock filters = 74.400 miles (120.000km) ... :eek::eek::eek:

Cheaper ....

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The nice part about the OEM filter, is you don't have any opportunity to over-do the oil like you can with the life time filters.... and how many people are likely to keep the bike [/I]long[/I] enough to make it profitable to go with the V&H?

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
lol are you just looking to disprove his figure to convince yourself its not worth it?
Just trying to convince myself it's not worth splashing out hundreds for a power commander if the stock FI adjusts itself. I have Scorpion cans, the airbox mod and a decat pipe. The bike seems to run fine with it, but I'll be replacing the stock filter with a K&N when the time is due and hoping it won't need dynoing etc to run fine.

joshfz6.2008

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm planning on keeping the bike, normally do close to 20k a year, but had back surgery this year, i bought mine mid 08 an put 11k on it.

but also hate the yamaha dealers anywhere close and refuse to go to them

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you have a power commander to adjust things, or was it just dynoing to see the power gain with no adjustments from yourself?

Yes on the PClll. We were tuning the bike. I personally feel that the K&N makes a difference if you're tuning the bike and have the less restrictive exhaust.
It never ran like it does now, after it's been modded and tuned. It lifts the front off the ground when it hits it's power band, without jerking it or slipping the clutch. I notice from 2 separate bike videos, while riding together at the same time,(one on my bike the other on the Kawa) that where I run RPM's up the mountain against a Kawa ZX6, I use lower RPM and feel good about the roll on power. I know that can be preference and bike setup but the FZ6 power feels good where I plant it and I feel like I have to drop a gear less often.
Can't for sure tell you how much difference in H.P. there is between the stock and K&N filter. You'll have to have your own dyno or pay the bucks to find out the difference but the bucks I spent on the filter with a larger opening in the airbox and the dyno made me smile.

Now where I'm really crying these days is for front and back suspension!