Break In questions

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about to buy a new 2007 fz6. I have no real road experience on a bike so do not mind the break in period. However, I was wondering... what is the approx. top speed in 6th for the first stage of break in? I was considering knocking out 500 or so miles in one road trip after I have had some practice on it. I would go out of my mind at 55mph though. I am hoping someone will say at least 70mph (I do 80-90 in my car.. haha)

P.S. It is supposed to stay under 8k for the first stage right?

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
true. but i dont think highway is the way to break-in a new bike. everyone will have a different answer to this question. but i feel multiple warm-ups & cool-downs will have more effect on the parts that are being broken-in. and i believe the manual says no prolonged operation above a certain rev range ie: highway.
there are owners manuals available for download here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/320-2004-through-2007-manuals-download-here.html
it says how yamaha wants you to break it in.

also having "no road experience" is not what i would consider ready for the highway. Slow moving back road with little traffic would be ideal for a beginner, believe me i found out the hard way that stuff happens really fast on the interstate (plywood flying off of the truck in front of you) if you haven't learned to swerve slowly then you can not swerve fast.

be safe

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the not highway for break in ( you are supposed to vary speed). But the top speed at 7k rpm is about 75ish mph

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about to buy a new 2007 fz6. I have no real road experience on a bike so do not mind the break in period. However, I was wondering... what is the approx. top speed in 6th for the first stage of break in? I was considering knocking out 500 or so miles in one road trip after I have had some practice on it. I would go out of my mind at 55mph though. I am hoping someone will say at least 70mph (I do 80-90 in my car.. haha)

P.S. It is supposed to stay under 8k for the first stage right?

No prolonged operation above 7k for the first 1000km. The key word is "prolonged".. doesn't say you can't use quick bursts to redline. Check out this link to breakin. I have used this or similar method for about 5 bikes now and no issues...

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Richard

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Boring on break in? I had mine broken in and serviced in the first week, okay, so I had just quit my job and taken a week off to play before starting the new one but still. 600 miles isn't all that much. Just look at how many miles Steve has on his bike:D

Break in is a good time to get to know the bike before you just let loose and grab a hand full of throttle.:thumbup: 7k RPM is at legal speeds in every state have been to, even most countries.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
This is something that we argue about in the apt. One of my roomates is a car nut, and he insists that it is fine to beat the heck out of the motor when breaking it in. He says that he will just ease a motor around for a hundred or so, then he just beats on it, hitting the rev limiter several times.

That just makes me kringe (spelling) seeing that I have always heat cycled every motor I have broken in. R/C engines and bike engines. I always bring the motors up to temp at a fairly rich A/F ratio and run them for a few minutes, then shut them off to cool down completely and repeat.

However, every ATV that Honda produces begins its' life at WOT. My father, when he was working at a Honda dealership, went to one of their factories around here for a school. Part of the trip included a tour of the factory. One workers job is to take the completed unit off the assembly line, strap it to a dyno and fire it up. Then he proceeds to pin it and run it through all the gears and then back down and shuts the motor off. From there he takes it to another person that tears it down to ship it. That was quite an eye opener to say the least

However, I would not recomend to do this, lol. I prefer my heat cycling and I would suggest you break the method in the way Yamaha suggests.

-bryan

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
As you can see I am new to this forum. Thanks to everyone for all the quick replies and wealth of information. This is probably one of the best online forums I have ever used. Glad I joined.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Me toooo!!!!:rockon:

What I do is just go real fast, like 80mph, then slow down to 60mph.. I'll just repeat the process while driving...

the guy behind you must be thrilled....jk, thats just about the best way to do it for 600 miles, only question i have is that the breakin is supposed to be for the tranny too, so are you finding ways to shift through all the gears as well as the 60-80 mile bursts?

Hazardous006

Reaction score
Visit site
if you have the time, just drive it everyday 10-20 miles and get a feel for the bike. Go do errands and help break the bike in by getting it up to normal temps and shutting it off. Don let it cool to far down and repeat this many times for a couple of weeks and it the easiest way to break it that first 1000 miles without damaging the engine

castle228

'07 Kobalt FZ1
Reaction score
Visit site
If I can add one little item, I have always been told to keep the rpm's fluctuating during the break-in period. For example, you shouldn't go get on the highway and pin the throttle to 65mph (say 4500rpm) and ride like that for 500 miles.

And I second someone's suggestion to go read the 50 things that might save your a$$ thread.

Other than that, just enjoy your new ride. :rockon:

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I got it warmed up around the neighboorhood. Then was like lets hit 8-9k and then slow back down. I down shifted to first in my 25mph neighboorhood. Reved to about 9k and shifted to second.. looked down, i was going like 48... woops. Haha.. this thing is so fast... I love it!

Gdubya

Reaction score
Visit site
There are different opinions on brwak-in procedures with varying logic. One thing I think everyone should be able to agree to do different than the manual is DO NOT WAIT until 600mi for the first oil/filter change. Make the first change about 90-100mi and see how much silver tint it already has from break in. The filter is overwhelmed by the particles quickly. Then make sure to notice how there is still a bit (but much less) in the 600mi change. Nobody can honestly say that it would be a good thing for all that crud to float around in there for another 500 miles.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
There are different opinions on brwak-in procedures with varying logic. One thing I think everyone should be able to agree to do different than the manual is DO NOT WAIT until 600mi for the first oil/filter change. Make the first change about 90-100mi and see how much silver tint it already has from break in. The filter is overwhelmed by the particles quickly. Then make sure to notice how there is still a bit (but much less) in the 600mi change. Nobody can honestly say that it would be a good thing for all that crud to float around in there for another 500 miles.

i do agree with this and have heard from automotive engineers that it should be done with cars also.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
i do agree with this and have heard from automotive engineers that it should be done with cars also.

Bikes are even worse because as we know the same oil lubricates the transmission as well. Most break-in metal comes from the gears meshing together, knocking off the microscopic metal high points left over from the manufacturing process. I changed my oil initially on my '07 after about 100kms... I can confirm it was full of shiny metal flakes....

Last edited:

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
breakin' it in

I broke my bike in with ZERO road experience and even now almost 3 months later I am 5 miles from hitting the 1000 mile mark. I began riding a little bit every day and increased my daily riding slowly. I tried to mix it up but I spent a good bit of time in the city and neighborhoods.

I would usually finish my ride at the end of the day by going out of my way to get on the highway while the bike was good and warmed up and go to about 6000 in each gear and turn around and do the same thing on the way back.

Taking it slowly has already saved my ass twice. Like someone said earlier about weaving slowly I am glad I had a lot of practice with that because I was on the highway the other day looking at someone's badass BMW when I looked up and was about 30 feet from slamming into the back of a van. I made a highspeed swerve and went on through the light.

I should have had my eyes on the road instead of someone's car especially when approaching a very oddly placed traffic light on a highway but my many days of taking it easy has helped me learn a lot.

And where I live with lots of really twisting and turning roads going up and down steep hills staying under 7k is easy to do and a lot of fun. I spend a lot of time in the 4k range commuting and trying to save gas but I swear that now that I have broken it in everything seems a lot smoother in the 4k-6k range I stay in in these hilly and twisty turny neighborhoods and it makes it a lot more fun and smooth with I get out on the the highway and take it up to 9k in sixth gear on my usual eand of the day run up and down the highway!!!

Sorry for the long rant I just got out of surgery and am loopy- don't waorry not bike related but they said I can't ride for TWO WEEKS!:rolleyes: