Brand new 08 FZ6 no starting

Ohenry

Reaction score
Visit site
So I ride my bike with only 1000 miles on it to work today for the first time and had no problems getting there but on the way home I noticed that the bike hit almost 250 degrees while stopped in traffic. Once under way it was down to 205. Then I start seeing the check engine light but it was not over heating then I go to hit the throttle and there is no display and the bike is off! I push it and try to bump start it but nothing. I find a shade parking space and once it started to cool down I turned the switch on but only a tick tick tick when I try and start it and the check engine light lit. I started looking over the bike and notice a small rock lodged in the cooling fan! OK so I take it out and turned on the bikes power and it just does the same tick tick tick nothing. Do I have a burned cooling motor? I had to get it towed home yup brand new first commute not a successful ride grr!!!

Anyone help?

Thanks!

Ohenry

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I'm guessing the bike shut down because of the over heating and then the battery went dead as you tried to start a overheated motor with a stuck fan that also must have been drawing some current. Charge the battery and it should start. Keep a eye on the fan to make sure it still works.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the fuse for the fan, then the fan relay. If it's neither of those your fan is probably toasted. It should come on between 210 and 212 degrees. I had the same problem with mine and it ended up being the fan motor itself. It's a PITA to change but not impossible if you do it yourself.
Hope this helps.

Ohenry

Reaction score
Visit site
That was fast..:thumbup:
I checked the fuse and it was OK
Crazy location for the fuse box!
I am charging it now so I hope it will do the trick.
Thanks guys!:Sport:

Ohenry

Reaction score
Visit site
Fan motor is dead! Come on!

:(

What is me cheapest way out? I guess I can still ride but...

Ohenry

Ohenry

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish but I picked it up a few weeks ago it is an 08 so it only came with a 1 year from the factory.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I wish but I picked it up a few weeks ago it is an 08 so it only came with a 1 year from the factory.

What is GA's lemon law? Any chance you can leverage that?

The fan motor on this design is prone to locking up and burning out... if you do a search on the forum, you may find a detailed process for R&R and the costs. I know it's not cheap.

I'd suggest you hold off on riding the bike until you can replace the fan.....

WIyamirider

Reaction score
Visit site

You picked it up used or new?

If you bought it new, even though it's an '08, factory warranty starts from date of sale, not date of manufacture. If you are the first owner, you have a warranty until May 2012.

If you bought it used, then you're kinda out of luck. If you got it at a dealer, maybe try and take it back and see if they'll work with you. Granted, getting a rock stuck in your fan isn't something that they have to compensate you for, but a good dealer should sympathize with the situation.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some FZ6 fans are known to get jammed with a pebble between the fab blade and the radiator.. Check that it rotates freely.

Edit: (Derrrrr!?!?!) Didn't read you original post very well...

Last edited:

Ohenry

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked it up used with only 1094 miles on it. The fan spins free after I removed the pebble. The previous owner bought it new in 2008.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the bike start and run now? Did you get that resolved?

2nd Q; how long did you crank on it when it died, does it make sense that the battery died after cranking for X____ minutes?

Ohenry

Reaction score
Visit site
After I charged it over night it started right up and ran like a top.:thumbup:

As for starting attempts I was in traffic at a light idle and when it turned green I hit the throttle and noticed it was not only not running but had no power so I hit the starter and it didn't even click or light up at all display was even dead. Once I got it to the a shaded parking lot I tried to bump start it and you could hear the motor rev but it did not start. I left it for a bit and found the asphalt pebble and dis-lodged it. I then turned it on and the lights and speedo came on but wouldn't start only go tick tick tick.

Ohenry

Reaction score
Visit site
The fan came in and I installed it tested OK!
I read that connector was behind the battery box but quickly realized the air box is behind the battery box the connectors are in the front left of the battery box. It is a bear to get your fingers in there to disconnect and reconnect the ends because there is only a half inch play! The whole job took under an hour.

Last edited:

Raffe

Reaction score
Visit site
In Sweden any Yamaha bike comes with a 5 years warrenty.
Last week I picked up a 2009 model from the factory and the warrenty is untill may 2016.

Last edited:

Ohenry

Reaction score
Visit site
Lucky!
I called Yamaha and gave them my vin# and they said mine has no warranty left.

It is crazy how a small rock could get in there look how little space there is..
RF1.JPG

RF3.JPG

RF2.JPG

RF4.JPG

RF5.JPG

Last edited:

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
In Sweden any Yamaha bike comes with a 5 years warrenty.
Last week I picked up a 2009 model from the factory and the warrenty is untill may 2016.

Unlimited km? Here in aus it's 2 year unlimited km with optional extended now as of 6ish months ago. but 5 years is awesome warranty for a bike from the manufacturer :)

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Sir,

May I make a suggestion:

After your near overheating incidient, I would do an oil change and a coolant flush - this is good maintenance and peace of mind for a bike that came from someone else.

Raffe

Reaction score
Visit site
Unlimited km? Here in aus it's 2 year unlimited km with optional extended now as of 6ish months ago. but 5 years is awesome warranty for a bike from the manufacturer :)

I know that the services have to be done by Yamaha certified workshops and the service book need all the stamps. Will check when I'm at home if it's unlimited km. Though I believe it is.