Brake lines

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy rode my bike and said my brakes are a little spongy. He recommended new steel braided lines. Anyone know of a good place to pick some up?

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
You might just need to bleed the brakes...but if your bike is an 06, it might be wise to replace the original rubber hoses and go for steel braided lines.

Spiegler, Galfer, HEL, and Goodridge are some of the names I've heard mentioned here...they're all more or less the same as far as I can tell, with minor differences in the color schemes. I think that as long as you go with a well-known name, you'll be fine. I bought Spiegler lines, ordered them through a local dealer, and am very happy with them.

Sweeney_Todd

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to get some braided lines at some point. Many people say good things about HEL.
Hey thethendi do you have two lines going from the master cylinder to each caliper?

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, one to each caliper in the front...I think most steel line kits come this way.

I think I remember reading that one company makes a steel line kit that uses the stock line configuration (one line from master cylinder, then one over the front fender), but I can't remember which one.

Sweeney_Todd

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, one to each caliper in the front...I think most steel line kits come this way.

I think I remember reading that one company makes a steel line kit that uses the stock line configuration (one line from master cylinder, then one over the front fender), but I can't remember which one.

Thanks,
I think HEL does. Didn't you have any problems with the routing?
People say it's better to have two separate lines to each caliper, but I like the stock configuration

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the HELs. Awesome lines. They offer both the original line style and the race style with two lines from the master to each calliper. Routing was no issue, just used a few tie wraps as there is now two lines running, but looks great!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i installed the HELs on mine the other week. They were a little bit tricky, as they needed to twist around 90 degrees in order to connect to the caliper. I also had to work out the best way to connect them up, as each end is different (long line for the far side, angled connector for the near side on the master cylinder, and angled connector for the other side on the caliper, with the bent cylinder connector going over the straight one)

having just 2 lines is a lot easier to bleed than having one with 3 lines though i believe

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If your fluid is old it will feel spongy.

I have a 2006 and just last month I replaced the fluid and bled the brakes for the first time...HUGE improvement in brake feel!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy rode my bike and said my brakes are a little spongy. He recommended new steel braided lines. Anyone know of a good place to pick some up?
What experience has your buddy got over you to suggest your brakes are not up to scratch?
Definitely worth changing the front lines. The rear stock line is more than up to the job. Some people feel that the extra bite a braided rear line give can actually increase the instance of rear wheel locking under hard braking.

Nelly