Bought her and a month later, went cross country

Paydrow

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks! I'm Pedro Rodriguez out here in sunny California and I've been stalking this forum since Mar-Apr while deciding on my next bike. If the FZ6 had a shaft drive, It'd be my perfect bike :D

I bought the (slower) blue 06 with 21k miles bone stock.

My only upgrades thus far have been:
-Puig Double Bubble
-Frame Sliders
-2" Bar risers
(Picture Prior to Sliders)
hMwJt7w.jpg

I spent a good month getting used to the quick clutch and throttle before finally taking off for a month around the country.
TiMrkIz.jpg

I was really worried about doing this on the stock seat but during the month long trial period, It never became an issue. It is a very firm seat and I'm proud to say I did 1,000 miles in a day between Point 10 and 11 (through the Tail of the Dragon). The final stretch home from Tuscon, AZ was a 910 Mile day as well.

My only complaint was my right wrist. I used a throttle lock but it would still complain on the longer days. I'm definitely considering the FZ1 bar switch for the less aggressive pull.

WFwnPGF.jpg

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Heck of a 1st and 2nd post on the forum. :thumbup:
:welcome: and thanks for the pics of your ride.
Serious rep for your 14 day adventure! :rockon:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Pedro, Welcome to the forum! And WOW, that looks like a great ride. :rockon:

How well did your tires hold up for that long of a trip?

Oh, and welcome to the blue club - the very best color, at any speed.

Chris

Paydrow

Reaction score
Visit site
Well Shoop, I'll take your word for it but the red one does look awfully fast.

My rear tire is a bit squared off but still has a good amount of thread. It had maybe 1000 miles on it before the trip. Probably due for a changing here soon.

My chain on the other hand, only made it to Texas before no amount of lube could remedy the awful tight spot. What a difference the new chain made!

Here's one of a 12 mile gravel road
SlL8T2Q.jpg

Falkor

Falkor
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done on the great trip. This is the reason that so many of us purchase these great bikes. We bought a new 2014 FZ6R a few weeks ago and so far only done 500 ams but expecting to travel many many more.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great family! Wow! I did a coast to coast a long time ago. But a month of touring and across twice!

Hope you'll hook up with us SoCal riders one of these days for a day down here in San Diego.

You are a warrior! :rockon:

Paydrow

Reaction score
Visit site
Falkor- Never did I doubt the reliability of this bike. That piece of mind alone is worth so much to me. Looking forward to many more trouble free miles.

Motogiro- Just give me a date and a spot of dirt to lay a tent and I'm there. Hardly a warrior though.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent ride report. What happened in New Mexico between 13 and 14? Looks like you made a few turns and a loop.

Hats off for a great ride!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome trip! That's a lot of sights in 2 weeks!

I wouldn't last 1,000 miles in a day, my knees and lower back just can't do the seating position of the FZ6 for that long anymore.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Impressive trip. Even more so that is was done on the stock seat!! I couldn't imagine riding that many miles on that log.

Paydrow

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome.

nivag: I actually wanted to swing by the store and grab some milk before coming home so I can tease that I got a little lost. But the last hundred miles, I was a horse on his way back to the barn. 2550 miles is no walk in the park really.

Red Wazp: I got a wee bit lost. My phone had died and my usb cigarette lighter was acting up so I opted to continue onward without it. How hard would it be to stay on ONE highway up to White Sands, New Mexico? haha. Hard enough. An hour and a half later, after 4 right turns, suddenly it all looked so familiar again. I drove in a circle :D
Frustrated and tired, I opted to skip White Sands and continue on my merry way to Tuscon. Well, that too proved to be a challenge. At some point, I realized I wasn't on i10 heading west but was actually on i25 heading north to Albuquerque. DOH!
I fired up the GPS and found a shortcut down NM-152, my favorite road of my entire trip. 60+ miles of lonely curves was not what I expected out of New Mexico. Part of my joy was due to the much needed increase In altitude after dealing with all that heat down in Texas. I hope to someday come back and ride this road again.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is awesome! Did you take I-59 S through AL and MI down to I-12/ I-10 into TX? I'm curious...is it really 800 miles from the east of TX to the west on I-10?