Bought an FZ6! Noticed possible hose was cut?

mixtape

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought her today :thumbup:!

2007 FZ6 :) with 4322 miles, has sliders, but was unfortunately dropped before the sliders were installed. Talked the guy down to $3000!

I am concerned about a few little things though. First off, I noticed these two hoses (or one cut hose) towards the bottom of the bike. I asked him why there were cut hoses under the bike, but he claims that he never cut any hoses and that they are probably some type of overflow lines? He is the original owner so I wasn't sure if that was true or not. He claims that it doesn't over heat, and that he rode it without problems.

Second issue is that the bike makes a slight rattling noise from the rear while riding. I asked him what it was, but he said the chain might need lubing. He's never had any problems with it though and always did an oil change every year. Uses Mobil1 filters.

Third issue: I had trouble finding neutral when I went to park the bike. The guy told me that it's fairly common to have to slightly release the clutch (just a tad) before trying to go into the neutral. Is that normal? He did mention unplugging a wire so that the bike can start in gear (in case it were to stall on the highway) so I'm not sure if that's related.

For $3000, I figured it was still a good deal. I had trouble walking away. Hope this hose wasn't cut to mask a problem :eek:.

scaled.php

scaled.php

5L45N25G23K13Jc3H7c3q4750782009861c43.jpg

5N25I35K23La3Ia3H8c3qe300f859f8ca1047.jpg

5G15Kf5H63Lb3J13N1c3qdf2f98c828bc19e2.jpg

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Last edited:

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
My god...that's the hose to your blinker fluid!

I thought it was from his left headlight :BLAA: also check your tool bag to make sure it came with a left handed screwdriver :cheer:

BTW, nice looking bike and I think you got a great deal

mixtape

Reaction score
Visit site
My god...that's the hose to your blinker fluid!
I read the first two words of your post and my heart skipped a beat haha. I was thinking it was something serious like brake fluid or something lol.

So I'm guessing these hoses are supposed to be this way? :confused::rolleyes:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the hoses are the breathers from the tank, they are about the same length, one of yours is in the right spot, running through the metal loop. It looks like the prev. owner has had the tank up and not made sure the lines are in place when he's re-lowered the tank. you might wanna check that they are not kinked under the tank. Undo the two Allen head Bolts at the front of the tank and lift it a little, You'll be able to see the two hoses, when you re lower the tank pull gently on both hoses and make sure they both hang about the same length through that loop.
You can start the bike in gear if you pull in the clutch, I had a similar prob last year, the micro switch on the clutch lever was a bit gummy, I squirted a bit of wd 40 in the mechanism and squeezed the lever a few times and its right as rain. You shouldnt have to disconect anything along those lines.
Clean yer chain and get in the habit of lubing it every 500 ks, or after a wash or every 2nd w/end,.....whatever works for you

and btw

Welcome to the forum,
ride safe and ATGATT

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! Yes, those are factory overflow hoses. As for the rattling, on my 06, the end caps of the swingarm, where the chain adjusters are, can rattle if not properly secured. I know the 07 is different but take a look, just in case.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
When I had first started riding, my friends and I went for a short jaunt around town. We were coming up to a roundabout when one of them shouted something at me and seemed very concerned.
I immediately pulled over, thinking something was wrong. He came up next to me and excitedly pointed to the slash-cut hose sticking out from the bottom of my bike.
Not wanting to hold up the cars behind us, I lifted my visor, shrugged and shouted, "It's fine!"

I want to say it's the hose that excess fuel runs out of when you overfill.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, they are supposed to be that way. :) The rattling can be the adjustors on the end of the swingarm being loose and rattling or it may be a dirty chain. My chain, which only has a couple of thousand miles on it, was dirty and and made a kind of clicking rattling sound just at takeoff. Neutral can be difficult to find sometimes - takes a certain touch sometimes. My favorite way to find neutral is shifting from first to second!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum :D

As previously said, it's supposed to be there. Ignore some of the smart answers - they just playing with ya. We're a great forum and, while we might make fun of you now and again, it's always done in jest.

NEVER feel afraid to ask a "dumb" question. You'll always get the answer you need. Eventually :)

JonM

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, yeah, as everyone has already stated they're supposed to be there. I believe one is the fuel overflow, and the other is the drainage tube for the gas cap. Water seeps in between the cracks of the gas cap, but is kept out of the tank by the seal.

But BE CAREFUL! The drainage tube is very easily pinched when setting down your tank after working on your bike. So always pull the tubes back down when your done. If it does get pinched, the water pooled under the cap will poor into your tank when you open the gas cap.

Last edited:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a heads up in advance- during the summer you might notice a couple drips of fuel come out of one of those tubes when your bikes parked, especially on very warm sunny days. It's ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ordnance3466

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike and welcome!

You got a great deal. As a matter of fact I was looking at the same bike! He wanted 3500 from Flemington NJ. That is kind of funny.

As stated hoses are supposed to be there, no worries.

:welcome:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you said the sound is coming from the rear but just for the heck of it lift the seat and make sure the sound you hear isn't the tool pouch or something else sitting in there making the noise.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great family!

Your hoses are good. They cut them at that angle from the factory. Two vents and an overflow in case you overfill it. Have your chain checked for proper alignment and proper slack. Slack travel at the bottom of the chain should be between 1.2 and 1.7 inches. Don't let some pro over tighten the chain and tell you it will stretch. We see it every day. The spec. is what you go by... :D

and don't mind some of our members...they're harmless...

hillbillies.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^Cliff, stop posting pics of yourself....

Remind me, you're the one on the left or the right?

;)

Shucks....well okay...ya got me....I'm on the right...wait which side is right again? okay my ears are a lil bigger n ma brudders....oh and I'm a little taller than my brother...

Last edited: