Bought a new bike....

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Made the trek to pick it up this weekend and thankfully it looks even better in person - can't find anything that doesn't look new on the bike save for one bolt head that has a little rust.
Me and two friends left my place about 6:30AM on Sat and got to Cinci, OH around 9PM to make contact with the seller. I didn't ride it then except for a quick check to make it shifted ok and there were no gross problems. We got it loaded on the trailer and turned around for home. Got in about 2:30 Sun with 1760 miles under our belts. Needless to say, I'm pretty much running on fumes now. I took it for a quick trip around the block and have some early observations but I'll have to follow up more later.
1. It's got serious power - but we knew this already
2. It's heavy feeling but well balanced - it feels like it takes a bit to get it upright off the stand and get rolling in tight areas but you pretty much don't notice after you're moving a little.
3. The BMW sport cases are a PITA to close up - first you clip the accordion piece, then you pull the ratchet straps out and clip, then you ratchet the case closed.
4. Riding posture is significantly more forward than the FZ (especially mine which has about .5 in risers (1 in riser but .5 inch fork drop) but was natural and comfy on my short ride. Reminds me of 02+ VFR
5. The full Remus has nice sound quality but is freakin' loud - it shakes the windows in my house - it may have to go but I'm going to give a bit before I decide.
6. PA and OH on an interstate mostly in the middle of the night is boring.:D

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
How is the mpg?? Performance ofcourse needs no mention. Must be comparable to the FZ1 though. How are the insurance costs? I am thinking of trading the FZ6 on a K1200.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
How is the mpg?? Performance ofcourse needs no mention. Must be comparable to the FZ1 though. How are the insurance costs? I am thinking of trading the FZ6 on a K1200.

Sorry missed this post when it came up - I've been getting 32-35 mpg with a lot of city riding (it's only 5 miles to work and I barely break 40 mph on a light traffic day). I haven't ridden a 2nd gen FZ1, just a first gen and not back to back either but I'd say they're prolly both about the same at lower speeds given the K12S is heavier but that the K12S has an advantage at highway and above speeds mostly due to the fairing and a little more power. FWIW the full Remus that came on mine is good for a claimed 11 hp bump to 175 (crank).

Insurance was a surprise - there was huge variation when I got quotes - from 400 to 1300 a year for the same coverages. My existing insurance co was the cheapest for the K12S - I went from 396/yr for the FZ6 to 408/yr for the K12S. Oddly when I was shopping for bikes I asked them about 07 F800ST and 07 VFR800 - both were quoted more than the K12S with my co.