Bottom triple clamp rusting

Olas

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '07 Fz6 and while working on the bike the other day some rust on the bottom triple caught my eye. The clamp seems to have a very poor finish and seems like it will keep rusting unless I do something about it.

Anyone else notice this on theirs? The bike is all stock and previous owner did no mods to it so I have no reason to suspect it was from something he did. I plan on refreshing the forks and greasing the steering bearings in a couple of weeks so Ill just paint it then.

Sent from my ADR6350

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I help a customer to change is exhaust and install a PCV yesterday. I did notice his getting rusty also. I think it's due to salty ambient air here since we are so close to the beach. His bike sleep outside also... doesn't really help. A good squirt of WD-40 won't hurt. If you want to step it up a notch get some BoShield T9. You can get it to any boat supply store. It's $15.00 a can!!! But this is the $$$$hit! LOL I use that on all the classic cars under tray. Work like magic!

Give it a good soak and let it sit for a bit.... wipe the excess. Don't try that on your disc brakes... lol

Olas

Reaction score
Visit site
Right on, thanks for the suggestion. It is very dry here and we are very far away from salt water which is why this surprised me. The clamp looks like it is cast iron, that combined with the poor finish means rust is inevitable.

Sent from my ADR6350

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Right on, thanks for the suggestion. It is very dry here and we are very far away from salt water which is why this surprised me. The clamp looks like it is cast iron, that combined with the poor finish means rust is inevitable.

Sent from my ADR6350

I'd clean it real good (get rid of ALL the rust) once you have it apart and use Rustoleum spray paint on it. It dries pretty quick and holds up well.

I think I have a little bit of rust on the bottom of my triple as well..