http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Camiaz/IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Camiaz/IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Camiaz/IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Camiaz/IMAG0173.jpg

If you cant see these, let me know.

Wow thats horrible! Ive never sceen one that bad on any vehical except something out of a junk yard. Honestly i would probably start from scratch, new tank, and new pump. With all that trash in there even if you could clean it its probably just a matter of time before it goes out forever. After seeing it all i wonder if the previous owner had pissed someone off and they tried messin up his.bike by dumping something in his tank like bleach, salt, or whatever could have caused it to get that bad.

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow thats horrible! Ive never sceen one that bad on any vehical except something out of a junk yard. Honestly i would probably start from scratch, new tank, and new pump. With all that trash in there even if you could clean it its probably just a matter of time before it goes out forever. After seeing it all i wonder if the previous owner had pissed someone off and they tried messin up his.bike by dumping something in his tank like bleach, salt, or whatever could have caused it to get that bad.

I have to agree. That tank and everything inside looks like a world of a headache to try to mess with. I'd replace everything rather than trying to fix it. I'd probably KEEP the pump assembly and such as a "just in case" for spare parts, but I wouldn't attempt to use it. If the tank is any indication, the inside of that fuel pump is probably shot to hell and will only cause more problems down the line.

I'm amazed the bike ran at all!

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad found a tank, pump, and cap assembly for about $100 and bought it for me, so ill have something to use while the riding season is still good, but i still plan to try and fix this up as much as possible. Ive disassembled the fuel pump as far as i can and done some hefty cleaning, and its looking pretty good. Im not sure i trust the metallic cylinder that is the actual pump though.... Will probably see if a shop will service it. Ill post some "after" pictures so you can see what it looks like after i get done.
I was reading in another forum that r6 fuel pump assemblies are nearly the exact same thing, just much cheaper(Different way of measuring fuel, however you can attach your old fuel arm w/ float and it will work the EXACT same way a fz6 pump works). Is this true? Anyone had experience with that yet?
Thanks for the idea. This tank will probably just be a Frankenstein experiment for me to see what works. Its kinda sad though, the tank is practically undamaged besides a paint chip, no massive dents like all the ones on ebay, but damn near worthless now.
Talked to the previous owner today and told him what was going on, and he said the only thing he did was put a red gas additive in that he bought from wal-mart called stable or something like that, he didnt really know. Im assuming he's talking about sta-bil. He also said the bike was ridden around a little every weekend. So, still cant really pinpoint what caused the problem, but i guess we will never know. :confused:

Edit 1: I should specify before people get confused. It has to be a R6-S pump. If you do buy one, ensure the plastic piece where fuel line out connects has a 90 degree elbow in it, not the ones that have a straight down connection piece.

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
@ BurnitDown..... if the tank looks that bad, and the owner has no idea what happened I am guessing he's the second owner. That thing looks like it might have been submerged in salt water, to be that bad. If this was a bike with a salvage title, I'd guess it's been rebuilt.

My suggestion would be to take a REALLY good look at all the other electrical connections on that bike to see if any where else has that much corrosion on it. Look behind every panel, and inside every metallic pipe for signs of rust. At the least, pull the axles and look at the wheel bearings.

It's very hard for me to believe this one bike in central FL has so many more corrosion problems with the fuel tank alone, than anywhere else in the country.....

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats actually a real good possibility seeing how its a 06 with only 1500miles, burnitdown do you have the title to the bike in hand? I ask because the title should give you a pretty good idea of wether its rebuilt or not by anything it says on it.

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
I know, it seems like bad news. Ive checked over the motorcycle and cant find any other signs of rust or submersion. I do have the title in hand, just a regular old title. I actually double checked the VIN with a Yamaha dealer, and the guy is the original owner, and there is no history on the bike other than that. Im with you on guys on the fact that it shouldnt be THIS bad, but it could be attributed to a number things, such as contaminated fuel from a gas station that sat in the tank (1500 miles, i know it wasnt driven THAT much), or possibly some other sort of abuse that the previous was or was not aware of.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If he was the only owner and it has a clean title then maybe he had a really pissed ex who tried to sabotage his bike by putting something in the tank....maybe

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing that he stored the bike with an empty, or near empty gas tank which allowed water into the tank and rusting the pi$$ out of it.

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing that he stored the bike with an empty, or near empty gas tank which allowed water into the tank and rusting the pi$$ out of it.

Yeah, I'm more inclined to think that he left it empty, though a pissed ex would make for a funnier story.

Here's some after clean up pics and one of how much LOOSE rust came out of the tank.

IMAG0189.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Camiaz/IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Camiaz/IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Camiaz/IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Camiaz/IMAG0196.jpg

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I'm more inclined to think that he left it empty, though a pissed ex would make for a funnier story.

Here's some after clean up pics and one of how much LOOSE rust came out of the tank.

WOW! That cleaned up really well, and WOW! That's a lot of rust!

One trick I've heard is that you can add some BB's to the inside of the tank, seal off the holes, and shake the hell out of it. The BB's will help knock more loose stuff off. You could then use a gas tank sealer to seal the inside of the tank. May be worth doing if you ever need to replace the "new" tank.

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
WOW! That cleaned up really well, and WOW! That's a lot of rust!

One trick I've heard is that you can add some BB's to the inside of the tank, seal off the holes, and shake the hell out of it. The BB's will help knock more loose stuff off. You could then use a gas tank sealer to seal the inside of the tank. May be worth doing if you ever need to replace the "new" tank.

It really did, im very surprised. Ive heard of the same trick, just with washers and spare nuts, but same effect really. I plan to do that first, and then use this stuff called Kreem that i bought a local motorcycle gear store. Im at a loss for how to fashion a cover for the pump hole in the tank though. Ive heard of people using wood, but as i plan to use this with liquids as well, i dont want to use something that will cause the liquid to soak through after sitting for a while. Any thoughts?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
It really did, im very surprised. Ive heard of the same trick, just with washers and spare nuts, but same effect really. I plan to do that first, and then use this stuff called Kreem that i bought a local motorcycle gear store. Im at a loss for how to fashion a cover for the pump hole in the tank though. Ive heard of people using wood, but as i plan to use this with liquids as well, i dont want to use something that will cause the liquid to soak through after sitting for a while. Any thoughts?

Without knowing what size the hole is, it's hard to offer a suggestion. Maybe the bottom of a plastic cup?

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
Without knowing what size the hole is, it's hard to offer a suggestion. Maybe the bottom of a plastic cup?

Not really sure, havnt measured it, but a plastic cup would be slightly too small i think. Also, not sure if it could stand up to the tank etching fluid that your supposed to use before re-coating the inside. The directions on the packaging for this process arent very informative, ill have to do some research to be able to tell what i can and cant do.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Not really sure, havnt measured it, but a plastic cup would be slightly too small i think. Also, not sure if it could stand up to the tank etching fluid that your supposed to use before re-coating the inside. The directions on the packaging for this process arent very informative, ill have to do some research to be able to tell what i can and cant do.

Maybe a tin can, or modified coffee can.

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so i finally got around to working on it some this weekend. I reached as far as i could inside the tank and scraped as much rust as i could out with a metal brush, and actually got a significant portion of rust out. I was able to fashion a cover out of the side of a oil jug, and tested it today as i washed the tank out with laundry detergent and water, no leakage. Hopefully it can stand up to the etching stuff, it would be a shame to come back out and see that it has eaten through.

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
Put a wrecked 2007 fz6 tank (pristine condition on inside) and fuel pump on this weekend and took it for a nice long drive. The bike runs like a dream now. Ill probably re-line the other tank with that stuff called "Kreem" and eventually put it back on, but im liking the wrecked tank right now hehe. Thanks for the help guys! :Flash:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A little moisture in an empty tank and the bike going through daily temperature swings hot cold hot cold (maybe outside in the sun?); well that moisture condenses and rusts the cr@p out of everything. Its why keeping them full helps reduce the exposed surface area and reduce the amount of area that can be rusted.

As I recall the fuel injectors have removable screens atop them. I'd highly recommend pulling the rail off and replacing them as you know the filter didn't stop all of that, so don't ride far from home.

Lastly - At Wide Open Throttle (WOT), one or more of the injectors may not be able to spray at full capacity due to blockage and you could damage the engine by running it lean. I'd hate to see your engine get ruined so give it a thought OK.
Maybe even grab some used ebay injectors???