blown main fuse ?

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
ive blown my main fuse 5 yes FIVE times in the last month , i think its down to the excess snow and rain Ireland has had over the last few months ,

but my bike does be garaged so only exposed to the elements when im riding , anyway long story short , any time i lock the steering to park (or to get out of a parking spot) the whole bike goes dead and ive to replace the main fuse ,

bit annoying having to remove the fairings and lift the petrol tank , extra annoying as the cross head on both plastic screws has worn and its near impossible to get them out --

so anyone any imput on why locking the steering to the fully right position is killing the fuse , ive since put a 40amp fuse instead of the 30amp and it hasnt blown but having said that im very careful not to overly push the handlebars to the right when parking up and i know its not recommended to use higher amp fuses but after 5 times blowing it sems worth it to run the slight risk than to be stopping in town in the freezing cold doing fuse changes

:BLAA: thanks

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't go to a 40 amp fuse unless that was what was the original fuse rating. Your harness has a dead short somewhere. It's happening intermittently and the harness could be worn through or pinched near the steering and shorting to the frame. Inspect your bike carefully. If you go to a higher amp fuse you could burn the wire that's shorted and also burn through other wire jackets causing more damage or even worse. Again carefully inspect your wiring. Put on some safety eyewear unhook the battery and find the culprit. :Flash:

Let us know what you find because we all learn together and it helps others :D
Happy hunting! :rockon:

Edit: You may have to open that harness the see the wires causing the problem....

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above.

Put a new, correct size fuse in the holder and gently start moving wires (in short/small area's) until it blows. With the same conditions-(running or not running) that'll help narrow it down..

You'll probably be able to hear the bad wire arc to ground when the fuse blows if the bike is not running. Its probably going to be up near the steering stem obviously as thats the only wires moving when you turn the handlebars...