Blowin Headlight Bulbs

faseljd

Reaction score
Visit site
My newly acquired 04 FZ6 has a LSL naked headlight kit on it an is continually blowing the headlight bulb. Bulb is a Sylvania 9003/HB2 55 watt. At first I thought it was the plastic ring that holds the bulb in as it was loose, thinking it was rattling around in there and the vibrations were causing the filaments to break. Wrapped the ring with some electrical tape so it seated the bulb firmly. Then out test driving at night it worked fine till I opened it up to about 9k then the low beam instantly blew. Flipped it to high beam and drove conservatively for awhile more then that blew. So I am thinking voltage regulator?, rectifier?. How do I test to determine the problem? I tried the search on here but couldn't find much. I did see something about someone saying something about running a 35watt bulb versus a 55watt bulb but not sure if this would apply to my situation. Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
Check the battery with a voltmeter, and run it to 8-9k for 5 seconds and check the reading. Then also check at bulb connection with the bulb lit up. The bulbs are guaranteed for 12V. If you should have way more than that then that's your problem. Maybe check for a faulty alternator. Last case should be the vibration or a faulty connection at the headlight. Also check if the headlight has the original connector running to it. May be something improvised with a different ground. Also look at the fuses. Maybe there's a higher spec one put in place for the headlight circuit

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My newly acquired 04 FZ6 has a LSL naked headlight kit on it an is continually blowing the headlight bulb. Bulb is a Sylvania 9003/HB2 55 watt. At first I thought it was the plastic ring that holds the bulb in as it was loose, thinking it was rattling around in there and the vibrations were causing the filaments to break. Wrapped the ring with some electrical tape so it seated the bulb firmly. Then out test driving at night it worked fine till I opened it up to about 9k then the low beam instantly blew. Flipped it to high beam and drove conservatively for awhile more then that blew. So I am thinking voltage regulator?, rectifier?. How do I test to determine the problem? I tried the search on here but couldn't find much. I did see something about someone saying something about running a 35watt bulb versus a 55watt bulb but not sure if this would apply to my situation. Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

After you check your voltage which I think will be fine I think you want to check and see that when you turn on your your high beam the low beam turns off. If both beams are running at the same time the lamp will be damaged from overheating and fail prematurely. If the voltages were high enough to pop filaments then I would think there would also be lamp failures as well as other system shutdown or failure.

If your low beam is staying on when the high beam is turned on it will occur again. You need to modify the bike because from the factory they had two separate lamps for low and high beam.

Contact me if you need to mod the headlamp circuit and check out the link on my signature below. :D

Last edited:

faseljd

Reaction score
Visit site
With not enough time to do it myself (and probably skills) luckily I have a friend who is a student at MMI. So I purchased MOTOGIRO's relay kit and took the bike over to my friends. End result is it is fixed. Had 1 wire that was bare and shorting out, 1 bad ground wire and 1 wire in headlamp area that was in the wrong place from previous owners conversion. By the way, my mechanic was thoroughly impressed with MOTOGIRO's relay kit, said it was high quality and well built. So now just gotta rack up some miles to test it out.