Bike started up...now won't stay on . . .

Truthalive7

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I had a salvage bike, and it has been hell getting it to start, but I am proud to say that today my new fuel pump came in and the bike cranked up! It had trouble starting at first, then I got to where it would idle just fine, and then I even put it in first and made the wheel spin in gear while on the stand! I was so excited, but now all of a sudden it will only stay started up for about 1 seconds. It cranks and starts up and then just dies. I was so excited and now I don't know where to begin on the diagnosis of this new problem. Any ideas guys? Thanks . . . .

godminus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I had a salvage bike, and it has been hell getting it to start, but I am proud to say that today my new fuel pump came in and the bike cranked up! It had trouble starting at first, then I got to where it would idle just fine, and then I even put it in first and made the wheel spin in gear while on the stand! I was so excited, but now all of a sudden it will only stay started up for about 1 seconds. It cranks and starts up and then just dies. I was so excited and now I don't know where to begin on the diagnosis of this new problem. Any ideas guys? Thanks . . . .

Do you have any gas left in the tank? :)

Truthalive7

Reaction score
Visit site
There is gas in the tank, I'm not sure how to check for codes . . . . CEL was off when it first started up....

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Does it have engine oil? Not trying to ask a stupid question.... as I understand it, most FI bikes will not run, with low oil pressure. If the ECU doesn't get a reading from the sending unit, it would start, expect to 'see' pressure and continue to run.... no pressure, shut off the motor.

fredraction

Reaction score
Visit site
How old is the gas? Assuming it's new, it sounds like maybe a fuel problem; maybe clogged injectors.

Put brand new gas in and a full load of Seafoam and see if you can get it running long enough to run enough cleaner through the system. A (little) squirt of starter fluid in the throttle body can do wonders.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure the hoses under the tank aren't kinked. If they're kinked or plugged, it'll create a vacuum inside the tank, and the bike won't run.

Truthalive7

Reaction score
Visit site
Weird. After I posted this thread the bike started back up without reason, ran and idled fine for about a week straight (tested every day), and then yesterday quit working again! Yesterday it would start up for about a second and then die, today it won't start at all....starter will run forever. When it ran there was no check engine light on, bike has 2 gallons for fuel, battery is strong, oil level is slightly above the top mark (without bike running) vaccum lines are unobstructed..... I just can't figure out why it is being so fickle!

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
just have a look at the engine kill sensors like side-stand, lean angle, clutch/gear, kill switch you never know....some of them could be damaged and only a little vibrations from the engine could open/close them, also headlights short sircuit or something, this should blow up a fuse but you never know....an other reason for cranking forever and not starting up is the immobiliser

Last edited:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Another arb thing to check: air filter?

You mention it's a salvage, so it would be safe to assume everything is dirty. Fuel, fuel filter air filter etc.

Double check all electrical plugs, battery connections etc.