Bike shop should be ashamed

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly you tell the truth you might not make 2 grand but you tell a lie the truth comes back to get you whether it be 10!minutes or 10 years it will come back,

I'm a mechanic and I try to tell people how and what I'd do if their car was mine I suggest if they say no and want to go the cheap route no problem ill do as you command but ill follow all laws and regulations an note what I told the customer on the ticket.

You can fix stupid but you sure can charge for it, definitely a crooked dealer like Eric said better to sell her a 250 and have her come back alive to buy the 750 in a year or two but now they made a quick buck just to put someone else's life endanger,

Sad sad world we live in as the generations age the care for others diminishes eventually we will repeat the history we have made but I won't be part of that problem ;(

She should have done more research on best bikes for her situation, the dealer was wrong to a certain extent but she must take most of the blame for her lack of understanding of what she was buying. Should have walked away and got some advice, crikey the internet is full of it! (mainly duff advice though) :)

If she can afford the Gixxer then why not get a cheap ****heap for a few months and learn the basics, keep the prize bike in the garage until it's "Time"

Just my humble opinion of course.

S.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
She should have done more research on best bikes for her situation, the dealer was wrong to a certain extent but she must take most of the blame for her lack of understanding of what she was buying. Should have walked away and got some advice, crikey the internet is full of it! (mainly duff advice though) :)

If she can afford the Gixxer then why not get a cheap ****heap for a few months and learn the basics, keep the prize bike in the garage until it's "Time"

Just my humble opinion of course.

S.

i ll agree to a point here ... i put a lot of time into figureing which bikes i liked ... then worked out what i would look like on em ... i .e : a clown in a clown car style or actually fit ... then narrowed it down to what worked in theory then found out everything i could about the bike i whittled it down to ... in my case at the time it was a fazer fzs 600 - 99 model .... ( beautiful machine :thumbup: )
Scared the crap out of me for a min but when rolled out ... it was good ... relaxed got on with it .... now have a tourer ... Honda Varadero 1000 ...

Overall should have looked into things a little further before jumping on a power crazy machine .... with no real idea what was what

On the other hand maybe she did ? ... dealers are pain in ass in my experience .... they seem to just want £££ don't care what you do with bike after you paid up .. you bought it now its your problem attitude :spank:
that's just way i see it of course ... interesting reading though as always :thumbup:

Happy rideing whatever happens be safe

Last edited:

SAFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I hear Trepettti. Believe me its not only her well being. But the thought of a brand new nice bike laying on the ground.

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
That couldn't happen this side of the pond. Lot of hoops to jump through to get a licence.....particularly in the UK.

40 years ago it was a lot easier......ride round the block for 15 minutes, answer a few questions, and you were good to go.

Not any more.....there's now multiple stages to get through that takes a lot of time and money.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Stupidity of my co-worker can beat yours...

when I took my MSF, guy told us that most people will buy their 1st bike as not something that they will ride but something that other people will go WOW over it. Than park it in the garage cuz they are too afraid to ride. I dont see nothing wrong with what the sales guy did, she saw a bike she liked and bought it. Keep an eye out on CL and she will be selling it soon enough

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Stupidity of my co-worker can beat yours...

when I took my MSF, guy told us that most people will buy their 1st bike as not something that they will ride but something that other people will go WOW over it. Than park it in the garage cuz they are too afraid to ride. I dont see nothing wrong with what the sales guy did, she saw a bike she liked and bought it. Keep an eye out on CL and she will be selling it soon enough

That's why I am not all that furious about all of this.

Cheaper used bikes for the rest of us.

F

fazergal

Firstly I'd just like to say wow! :eek: And secondly that would never happen in the UK. We have tests and regulations in place for you and others safety. We have a similar Preliminary test called a CBT (Competent Bike Test) Depending on your age you are restricted to different cc's. From 24yrs you can apply for a Provisional licence that has to be no greater than 500cc. Or you can buy a 600cc but restricted to 500cc. It does get more confusing the younger you are and this law was brought in a few years ago. I was luckly when I passed my test back in 1993. I was 18, had an 80cc scooter and then I could go out and buy myself a 600cc.. but I didn't, I just waited until I was a mature 37yrs :Flash:

SAFZ... I hope your co-worker does the sensible thing; to be careful, gets the support she needs and enjoys her new machine!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I started out on the Fz6 and was beginning to get bored after about 2 weeks. yes, I crashed, yes there were a myriad of factors. Then I got the Fz1 and crashed that within 24 hours. Now I've got 3,000 miles under my belt without incidence. The only difference between a 600 and 1000 is you have less than half the time to save yourself in a given situation.

Maybe if you have started on a 250, and if you did, stayed on a 250 for about a year, you may have not crashed. The point is, the smaller bikes are much more lighter and much more foregiving.

Those two things alone can be the difference whether you crash or not. You said you got bored? I think you are missing the point, you should focus on improving your skills rather than having the power of the bike dictate your ride.

It's amazing and truthfully very scary to watch some people show up on their bikes and watch them attempt to negotiate around other bikes and people. They have or lack very little control. Anybody can ride in a straight line. I

I've received a lot of trash talk, but enjoy them on the local rider forum up here in Boise from other riders who think they know it all and can ride. Apparently bike night is real popular here in the summer. Went to one, everyone showing their bad ass bikes, but when it came to competition time, nobody came close to me. Slow Ride Competion, stay within your lane without putting your foot down, first one crosses the line loses.

p714114199-4_zps51bd5599.jpg

Last edited:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe if you have started on a 250, and if you did, stayed on a 250 for about a year, you may have not crashed. The point is, the smaller bikes are much more lighter and much more foregiving.

Those two things alone can be the difference whether you crash or not. You said you got bored? I think you are missing the point, you should focus on improving your skills rather than having the power of the bike dictate your ride.

It's amazing and truthfully very scary to watch some people show up on their bikes and watch them attempt to negotiate around other bikes and people. They have or lack very little control. Anybody can ride in a straight line. I

I've received a lot of trash talk, but enjoy them on the local rider forum up here in Boise from other riders who think they know it all and can ride. Apparently bike night is real popular here in the summer. Went to one, everyone showing their bad ass bikes, but when it came to competition time, nobody came close to me. Slow Ride Competion, stay within your lane without putting your foot down, first one crosses the line loses.

I wish we had those! I practice those all the time. Even at a red light I will juggle the bike to see how long I can keep it balanced..

I'm really not sure of that older gent is laughing at the squid on the ninja or checking you out though ;) jk

Last edited:

Chickenz

Big Wide B*****d
Reaction score
Visit site
what has already been stated is correct....the best thing you can do for her now that she has the bike is put a zip tie on the butterflies so that she can only reach 1/2 throttle or so. kinda like the "38 hp" restricted version in the UK?. and make her watch youtube videos and ride with her for a good while while she gets comfortable on the bike.

It's 33 bhp. I started off on a 125cc then passed my restricted test which means I have to buy or restrict a bike to 33bhp for two years. After that my license automatically upgrades and I can buy whatever bike I like.

The reasoning behind that is to try and cut down on injuries and deaths on our roads where motorcyclists are concerned.

Chickenz

Big Wide B*****d
Reaction score
Visit site
Firstly I'd just like to say wow! :eek: And secondly that would never happen in the UK. We have tests and regulations in place for you and others safety. We have a similar Preliminary test called a CBT (Competent Bike Test) Depending on your age you are restricted to different cc's. From 24yrs you can apply for a Provisional licence that has to be no greater than 500cc. Or you can buy a 600cc but restricted to 500cc. It does get more confusing the younger you are and this law was brought in a few years ago. I was luckly when I passed my test back in 1993. I was 18, had an 80cc scooter and then I could go out and buy myself a 600cc.. but I didn't, I just waited until I was a mature 37yrs :Flash:

SAFZ... I hope your co-worker does the sensible thing; to be careful, gets the support she needs and enjoys her new machine!

Kind of Fazergal.

I think it has or is about to change but it used to be:

At 16 you could get a 50cc bike as long as you had passed your CBT

Then at 17 you could move onto a 125cc but no higher with just a CBT

At 17 you could pass Module 1 and Module 2 on a bike no bigger than 125cc and be restricted for 2 years. So at 19 you could have any bike you wanted but have 2 years experience.

Or if you over the age of 21 you could do your Direct Access Course and buy anything you wanted straight away.

The restricted test is open to anyone of any age as I passed it at 27 due to costs of the DAS and insurance.

Older carbed bikes are restricted my placing washers in the intake somewhere I think. Fuel injected bikes are either restricted by flashing the ecu or using a throttle stop so the bike can't be opened up all the way.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 big time!!!

Try doing a full, lock to lock, "figure 8", "iron cross" on a full dress HD. If your not dragging your pegs, literally carving up the parking lot, you won't make it. That's with feet up too.

You learn real quick how to adjust your speed with your rear brake, some throttle, clutch at constant slip.

This BTW, is in the advanced, Police Motorcycle School...

Anyone can run at 30 or 150 MPH, the slow stuff WILL show your skills as Vegas points out correctly. :thumbup:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I really don't care what people buy for their first motorcycle.

If you are stupid enough not to do some proper research and take advice of +20 year long motorcyclists rider veterans than whom am I to judge or tell you not to buy that Haybusa?

I say it's just evolution at its best. Somebody has to win those Darwin awards afterall, right?

I say keep on truckin' on. I hope you don't crush and burn, but if you do it's your own god damn fault. Everybody needs to face the consequences of their stupid decisions. It's called personal responsibility and all that.

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the bike shop should be ashamed. Selling a bike means selling the lifestyle and the intensely important discipline involved in safe motorcycling. It's much worse than just selling the wrong bike to make a buck. There are lots of people of all ages and professions that get bitten by the biker bug, the freedom, romance, thrill, etc. But at least gently giving them some very sobering education up front is the best way to develop the active survival instinct so important. True, a lot of people are buying the image and place less respect on the reality of biking. Nobody wants to hear that they are unprepared or have no idea what is involved in riding, but it's so important to be brutally frank. Would the shop lose the sale trying to downsell to a less sexy less killer bike? Perhaps. But the gaining trust factor, the investment of time in that customer still goes a freakin long way. But here, not to fit her to the right bike (maybe scooter first?...!), not to fill her with the need to learn correctly, and practice correctly is a) too common these days, and b) sick. You can't place a lot of blame on the customer being "dumb", since they are walking into Mr. Dealership to get some education, no?

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the bike shop should be ashamed. Selling a bike means selling the lifestyle and the intensely important discipline involved in safe motorcycling. It's much worse than just selling the wrong bike to make a buck. There are lots of people of all ages and professions that get bitten by the biker bug, the freedom, romance, thrill, etc. But at least gently giving them some very sobering education up front is the best way to develop the active survival instinct so important. True, a lot of people are buying the image and place less respect on the reality of biking. Nobody wants to hear that they are unprepared or have no idea what is involved in riding, but it's so important to be brutally frank. Would the shop lose the sale trying to downsell to a less sexy less killer bike? Perhaps. But the gaining trust factor, the investment of time in that customer still goes a freakin long way. But here, not to fit her to the right bike (maybe scooter first?...!), not to fill her with the need to learn correctly, and practice correctly is a) too common these days, and b) sick. You can't place a lot of blame on the customer being "dumb", since they are walking into Mr. Dealership to get some education, no?

I don't know where you are from, but here in the United States, dealerships are stereotyped as being scammers and not to be trusted.

The dealership is selling you a product, nothing else.

Good dealerships will advise you what to get but thee are few of those here in the States.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I really don't care what people buy for their first motorcycle.

If you are stupid enough not to do some proper research and take advice of +20 year long motorcyclists rider veterans than whom am I to judge or tell you not to buy that Haybusa?

I say it's just evolution at its best. Somebody has to win those Darwin awards afterall, right?

I say keep on truckin' on. I hope you don't crush and burn, but if you do it's your own god damn fault. Everybody needs to face the consequences of their stupid decisions. It's called personal responsibility and all that.

Hopefully they won't hurt anyone else....

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know where you are from, but here in the United States, dealerships are stereotyped as being scammers and not to be trusted.

The dealership is selling you a product, nothing else.

Good dealerships will advise you what to get but thee are few of those here in the States.

True. And this story is an example of why dealers are stereotyped, and rightfully so. That's all too common. The real product is the sizzle of motorcycling though, not just the bike, whether the dealer recognizes it or not. Customer is buying "what will make me feel great". And good dealerships? Darn right there are very few, and the good ones have to operate with that stereotype hangin over them.