Bike Protection

adpr02

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought an FZ6 last night - my first bike - so I'm now part of the community :). I would like to put some protection on it.

Frame sliders go on for sure. Most likely WoodCrafts unless someone has a strong argument against them.

I also want to put handle bar sliders - are there any drawbacks to that? I don't see them being as common as frame sliders. Same for engine case cover.

Is that overkill?

Cheers

Last edited:

Clovis

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set of WoodCraft frame sliders. I picked them up after a low slide.

The FZ6 by itself is pretty well protected. My bike barely had any damage despite sliding 15 feet or so. I don't think you need bar ends/crank case protector.

Your first priority should be to get a full set of safety gear. Don't skimp. Go with name brand leathers (I prefer Alpinestars).

I did a nice little write up on the crash and why gear is important.

adpr02

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write-up. Glad to see everything was okay. No worries about me: I plan on getting top of the line gear head to toe. No skimping on that.

adpr02

Reaction score
Visit site
How about Frame and Axle sliders? Don't I have to remove engine guard to change oil or something?

Edit: I ask because I imagine that if I start adding all this protective equipment, past a certain point it will start to hinder rather than help. Want to make sure i'm not doing something stupid here.

Last edited:

adpr02

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I want to buy the crash bars. been convinced they're better and i don't mind the look. bad news is that the bars for my motorcycle have been discontinued. Can't find them in stock anywhere. If anyone knows where to get a TN354 GIVI for the 2006 model let me know...otherwise i guess wood craft sliders will have to do.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I want to buy the crash bars. been convinced they're better and i don't mind the look. bad news is that the bars for my motorcycle have been discontinued. Can't find them in stock anywhere. If anyone knows where to get a TN354 GIVI for the 2006 model let me know...otherwise i guess wood craft sliders will have to do.

Competition Accessories seems to have them in stock :thumbup: And free shipping :rockon:

You could also search for the SW Motech engine guard. Maybe you'll find that one in stock closer to you? :)
Grtz,

Degake

Last edited:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's my understanding that engine guards are more likely to protect, and less likely to do damage. That being said, I own only a set of sliders.

adpr02

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm.. they don't have the tn354 but they have 2 tn358. one for 2006 and before and one for 2007 and after. i wonder if that's a typo. if they do have it then I'm a happy guy with a new engine guard.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm.. they don't have the tn354 but they have 2 tn358. one for 2006 and before and one for 2007 and after. i wonder if that's a typo. if they do have it then I'm a happy guy with a new engine guard.

damn...i would definitely call them up and make sure

LOL! I was just thinking about you and how much you like the guards when I read this post:thumbup:

Hell yea! When i took a spill they held up so well, took most of the beating, and are still holding up

William

Reaction score
Visit site

If I could ask, what’s got you leaning in the direction of the Givi as opposed to the SW Motech Guards? I just picked up a 2006 this week too and need to come down on one or the other.

adpr02

Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing really. I just researched GIVI more and everybody says it's great quality. Does the SW Motech block the oil filter or drain?

BTW, GIVI is out of stock everywhere for my model. All stores said that i'm out of luck....

William

Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing really. I just researched GIVI more and everybody says it's great quality. Does the SW Motech block the oil filter or drain?

BTW, GIVI is out of stock everywhere for my model. All stores said that i'm out of luck....

That’s a bummer about the Givi. Imo, it’s at least the better looking of the two. There’s a thread I tripped over searching here where some guy had the welds on the Givi break on him.

I’ve found some references in this forum and elsewhere that the SW Motech guard doesn’t need to be removed or loosened to replace the oil filter, although it’s apparently more difficult when using the longer oil filters. I guess the biggest thing that bothers me about the SW Motech is that the back left mount appears to attach to the engine case in some manner. Here’s a LINK to a review where I read that; it was related to an 05 model. That strikes me as somewhat counterintuitive for a device that’s supposed to protect the engine.

If I could ask, what’s got you leaning in the direction of the Givi as opposed to the SW Motech Guards? I just picked up a 2006 this week too and need to come down on one or the other.

Oh, and looking back at my post, I should add that no pun was intended ... :)

keith w

Reaction score
Visit site
I am more concerned about no speed or low speed dropping of the bike. I accept there is risk of bike damage from any crashes at speed. That's why I have insurance. I am also on the cheap side and the Shogun frame sliders at $40 are fine for me. Good luck whichever direction you go!:thumbup:

adpr02

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to keep things updated:

I got the GIVI model:TN358 crash bars which are for the 2007-2010 and it fit on my bike. Apparently the TN358 is just a newer version of the TN354, according to GIVI, and can be found all over the place (I got them for 131$ off e-bay). Bars look nice, and I'm happy that I have the protection. Along with my very good gear I feel I don't really need to worry too much and can just focus on learning to ride well.

Some Issues:

One issue is that the screw where the two bars connect at the front of the bike is supposed to have a tubular spacer over it. This spacer is too short for some reason - causing a loud vibration sound while riding. Annoying and will be removed once I change oil.

On that note - I am pretty sure that the bars are blocking the oil drain plug. Haven't tried to remove it (never removed it), but doesn't look good. I think I'll look to buy another oil drain plug and grind it so that it can be removed without removing the crash bars.

The good side is that the oil drain plug is on the easy side when it comes to the crash bar install. The right hand side is a bit of a pain to install as you have to remove the center stand bolts (you don't actually have to remove the center stand). Kick-stand is unaffected by the install so my bike was on that all the time.

Last edited:
D

Dave.TX

I bought Motovation frame sliders because their shop is about 25 minutes from my house, I stopped by and purchased them in person. Nice folks that love riding. They had some nice bikes in there too (not FZ6's). They didn't look down on me because I didn't ride a supersport.

That's the only protection I have for the bike. They're there in case the bike falls over when I'm not around. I don't plan to crash. Never crashed while riding in the sand dunes for almost 10 years. If I do I'm less concerned with the bike than I am for myself. It can be replaced, my appendages can't. I have insurance for the bike and insurance for myself.

Besides, if the bike gets totaled I'll get another one, probably a Triumph Tiger XC.

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
On that note - I am pretty sure that the bars are blocking the oil drain plug. Haven't tried to remove it (never removed it), but doesn't look good. I think I'll look to buy another oil drain plug and grind it so that it can be removed without removing the crash bars.

I've got the Givi bars as well & ground down the lower corner of the left bar to access the oil drain so I don't have to remove the bar to change the oil. I just painted the ground area back with flat black spray paint & you can't even notice it. :thumbup:

pj24678

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought the tn358 from comp acc for my 2008 fz6. The instructions say from 2004-2006. I took one out of the package and it seems like they don't fit on my 2008. Comp acc said they talked to Givi and they told them they will fit. They are going to try to make me pay shipping charges if they find after I return them that they do in fact fit. Can anyone post a close up picture of theirs installed on a 2007 or later. Thanks!