Bike painting progress...

FUseaKU

Rebellion Is Imminent
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Well guys and gals, I decided to paint my bike from the not so manly purpleish looking dark blue the bike was to metallic black and metallic red. Right now it's just in the primer stage, but already I think it looks better! What do you all think?

As you can see, the only thing I have left to sand and prime is the gas tank... anyone have any suggestions on how I should tackle that?

Photo0202.jpg

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I cannot believe you took it apart, primed it, and put it back together just to take it apart to have it painted. Looks good though. The black and red will look good I think. Here is a shot of some after market plastic for a VFR.

FUseaKU

Rebellion Is Imminent
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
I cannot believe you took it apart, primed it, and put it back together just to take it apart to have it painted. Looks good though. The black and red will look good I think. Here is a shot of some after market plastic for a VFR.

haha Yeah I know it sounds crazy at first, but the reason I had to put the bike back together is because I'm doing a benefit poker run ride on Sunday. Otherwise I would've waited till next week when I take it to my shop to paint it. I can't wait till it's all done though. Thanks man!

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you do this for a living? Looks great in primer!

Anyway, I'm curious, do you have to bake or cure the paint to get it hard like the factory finish? Or what?

FUseaKU

Rebellion Is Imminent
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
looks good.. wonder if you can photshop for white just to see what it would look like

If I was better at photoshop I could probably pull that off and I agree with you, I think the bike would look real good as a super white pearl!

Looks like you do this for a living? Looks great in primer!

Anyway, I'm curious, do you have to bake or cure the paint to get it hard like the factory finish? Or what?

Actually, I don't do this kind of stuff for a living lol... I am a videographer and editor. The thing is that for the past 6 months I have be filming a muscle car tv show at a restoration and custom cars body shop, so I guess I have learned a few things about painting. haha I hope the end product comes out as good as the primer looks! :rockon:

From what I understand about the paint, when you mix the paint with all the other stuff you can put hardener in it. Then after the clear goes on it looks nice and shiny!

I suck at photoshop, so here's what I came up with really quick. Obviously it will be black under the windshield as well. The back piece of the bike where the grab handles are will also be black. Lastly, if you can see it a little, those side pieces that are right below the seat will be black and red. If you look at yours and follow the body line of it, you can see where I'll be putting the red accent through it. Oh yeah, and the tank will be all black as well.
Bike.jpg

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you are well on your way to a great paint job. 9/10th of a nice one is prep.

With your tank be careful not to get water inside the tank while sanding. I had that happen to me on a bike once and even after chemically removing the rust that formed, and coating the inside of the tank I have rust problems develop about 4 years later.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
That color scheme is hot ;)

IMG_1497.jpg

I myself did not paint, I just bought all new plastics(after accident)
Main fairing is for the 2004, fairing sides are from the 2006, and grab handles/side pods are from the 2007.

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
That color scheme is hot ;)

IMG_1497.jpg

I myself did not paint, I just bought all new plastics(after accident)
Main fairing is for the 2004, fairing sides are from the 2006, and grab handles/side pods are from the 2007.

That turned out nice, good job.:thumbup:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
i think it looks really good as just plain white. Maybe with some pearlescent paint it would look awesome!

That is what I thought too! Perhaps some red highlights....

93vfr.jpg

I think the 2006 VFR model is similar to that. Anyway, the more esoteric the paint scheme could effect resell value in the future. I would stick with a primary colors and perhaps use light flakes light effect to enhance the curves. The clear coat finish should make it look even better.

You might throw up the paint color up for a vote on here. I think a burnt orange is popular. You also can't go wrong with the famous Ducati red.

thumbup.gif

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
These bikes look SICK!!! Anybody from the site near Waukesha, WI who feels like getting a little business? "Raven" looks hot, but wanna add some striping or accent of some kind... Just too rich for my blood...

Adamfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, be very careful when handling the tank. The metal is very thin an can dent easily. Don't drop the orbital sander on it.

I would remove the fuel pump, just to be safe.

vela

Reaction score
Visit site
White! Go with white or silver with black! I'm painting the bike as we speak, originally it was same as yours... I just didn't like that violet - blue combo. I chose this! Silver will be as light as possible and black will have some kind of pearl effect. (originally VW colour :D)
04FZ6_SLV_1_6391.jpg

And look at this! Put a red stripe over the tank like new white ones have... :rockon:
white2ag8.jpg

Last edited:

FUseaKU

Rebellion Is Imminent
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Are you just going to paint the plastics or are you going to paint the frame and motor too? Either way, it's gonna look good!

Nah, I'm not gonna get that crazy with it. Just gonna paint the plastics and tank. But now that I see the bike with the light color primer, it kinda makes me wanna paint the bike a light color instead of black... you can see all the lines much better! Oh well, we'll see what happens.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look with just the primer! The matte gray and black looks like the Navy's paint scheme. Evokes thoughts of fast and powerful. Fitting. Plus it looks unique. No one dresses their bike up to look non-flashy, and in a way, doing that makes it more noticeable.