Bike not starting after putting tank together

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Started taking the bike apart last week to begin going naked after it went down a couple of weeks ago. I removed the tank and took the fuel pump out so I could take things to my buddy to start painting things. I had some problems getting the fuel pump out and after read that it can be somewhat sensitive so today I decided to put the tank back together and make sure I didn't damage the fuel pump when I took it out. I have everything back together but the bike won't start. When I turn the key it sounds like the pump turns on and after I try starting the bike it sounds like the pump runs. I pulled the hose off the fuel pump and I get fuel. Kind of at a loss as to what to check next. Any suggestions would be great.

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Turns over but wont start. Once you let go of start switch it sounds like pump is running. Also when you first turn on the key pump runs for a few seconds.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
So you just swapped tanks right? any other work you did to the bike recently?

Here is what I'd look at:

1) you're getting fuel from the fuel line, so it's not kinked (common problem), but I would check it carefully anyway, as it may be kinked after you drop the tank down (look at the routing of the cable)...

2) I don't know if you messed with your airbox at all, but check that you did not leave a rag in the nozzle :)

3) Defective pump (I know you hear it, but it may be something else)... you broke it! :)

You could also take a look at your spark plugs...

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar problem when I took my pump out to paint the tank. After I checked ensuring I had everything hooked up right, I simply kept the ignition button pushed in till it started. Not sure if that was wise but it worked.

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I found the problem. I dont have time to explain it all right now but I will post what I found when I get to work.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you a news anchor? "Solution at 11:00"

j/k :D Glad you found it, looking forward to hearing what it was.

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well this experience taught me one very important lesson: always check this great forum before doing something to find out any problems other people run into and how to avoid them. :spank: When I was taking the fuel pump out I was having trouble getting past the one little tab/stop for the float that measures level. I noticed that the upper part of the fuel pump was a little bit smaller in diameter than the bottom of the pump. I also noticed that the pump could be separated into two parts. So I separated it thinking I might be able to get past the tab/stop that was keeping me from removing the pump. This is where things may get hard to explain and I will do the best that I can. If you were to separate the two halves of the pump housing you would see that there is a nozzle with an o-ring in the upper half of the pump that fits into a round opening in the lower housing. When I put the two halves of the pump back together I didn't line up the nozzle with the opening so it turned the nozzle sideways which must have been starving the bike. Once I straightened the nozzle out and put everything back together the bike started up fine.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
YAYYYY!!!!So glad that you were able to fix it. Now what to do with that "extra" $300 you won't have to spend at the repair shop!! :) Good job! :cheer: