Bike Loading Fails

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty funny, but I wonder why so many feel they have to take such a run at it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2EfBPgwi8E]Top 10 Bike Fails Loading Unloading - YouTube[/ame]

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never tried to ride up a ramp into my truck or a trailer. So many bystanders and none help until after the fall:squid:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I don't get the run thing either. I stay on the right side of the bike and use bike's power to get it up the ramp. Far from easy or comfortable, but not terrible.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Jacknife91

Rubber Otaku
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a little hill near where I live that has like a 4 or 5 foot drop off. We just back a truck up to it and ride the bike in. Very easy, and safe. Now we have a trailer made for bikes so it's even easier now.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a little hill near where I live that has like a 4 or 5 foot drop off. We just back a truck up to it and ride the bike in. Very easy, and safe. Now we have a trailer made for bikes so it's even easier now.

Trouble is finding a hill when you get to your destination!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The problem with pickups is the height. I have a trailer that is low enough for me to load and unload unassisted.

Of course, the day I decide to video how I do it there will be an accident so don't hold your breath for a visual!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I guess I'm either an expert or just damn lucky, because I have ridden my FZ up onto a rental truck many times. But unlike many of the riders on the video, I always wear full gear when I do it.

Whether it's a pick up or anything else, whenever you have an opportunity to lessen the angle of the ramp the better it is. The last clip of the video, looks like the truck could have backed up to the edge of the driveway from the street, or even to the lawn, which appears to be a couple of feet above the driveway, assuming that they can get the truck at a 90 degree angle in the driveway.

I guess the most important thing to be successful at this, is keep your forward momentum going. Once you stall or stop, there is no place to put your foot down so down you go. If you ride into a box truck, remember to duck your head!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I guess I'm either an expert or just damn lucky, because I have ridden my FZ up onto a rental truck many times. But unlike many of the riders on the video, I always wear full gear when I do it.

Whether it's a pick up or anything else, whenever you have an opportunity to lessen the angle of the ramp the better it is. The last clip of the video, looks like the truck could have backed up to the edge of the driveway from the street, or even to the lawn, which appears to be a couple of feet above the driveway, assuming that they can get the truck at a 90 degree angle in the driveway.

I guess the most important thing to be successful at this, is keep your forward momentum going. Once you stall or stop, there is no place to put your foot down so down you go. If you ride into a box truck, remember to duck your head!

When I used to rent a trailer (with a ramp that was the width of the whole thing), I would ride up onto it too. My current setup: 11" wide, 8 foot long ramp. Not riding up on that one! Friction zone + walk alongside FTW!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Years ago ran an XR500R in a desert race in Nevada. Each lap was like 25 miles or something crazy like that. On about the 3rd lap I deviated from my last position, came over this knoll caught air and landed on this knarly rock bed blowing out both tires and bending the rear wheel. Thankfully it still rolled but with a little knobby rub on the swingarm.

My uncle and cousin kept going and sent someone back with a truck but I had to get out of this canyon which was about 7 miles. Anyone ridden a dirt bike 7 miles in the desert on flats/bent rim??? I'm not sure how we found each other but I saw this dust cloud headed my was and figured that was my help. The truck wasn't all that high but it was 77 HighBoy F250 with good sized tires and single narrow metal bike ramp.

The guy was too old to ask for help, the angle steeper than I can stand on the side and clutch it up, so squirrelly as it was, I rod it up. It felt like kite in a wind storm flapping back an forth before the ramp and up the ramp. Hit the back of the bed and nearly fell over. Had there been a camera it wouldla been pretty damn funny to watch.
If you haven't ripped through the desert sage brush at 75mph its an experience I won't forget.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i love fail videos but hate the bike loading fails, i just hate seeing bikes smashed up falling off trucks.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
It takes more than one person to properly load a bike into a truck. waiting for help is cheaper than fairings/stator cover or whatever else you break.

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
As I watch these videos, a question comes to mind (as I've never loaded a bike into a trailer before):

"How do you get the bike back down off the trailer?"

Do people back them down while walking alongside and letting gravity do its thing or do people do the "spin it on the kickstand" trick and ride it down?

It'll be a few years before I'm moving anywhere but seeing this made me realize "one day I'm going to have to do that..."

BajaBob

Reaction score
Visit site
As I watch these videos, a question comes to mind (as I've never loaded a bike into a trailer before):

"How do you get the bike back down off the trailer?"

Do people back them down while walking alongside and letting gravity do its thing or do people do the "spin it on the kickstand" trick and ride it down?

It'll be a few years before I'm moving anywhere but seeing this made me realize "one day I'm going to have to do that..."

Very simple. The more help the better. Just get some peeps to keep it balanced and keep a pinch on the handlebar bar brake. The bike will do all the work for you. Two guys can manage an FZ6 but three people is better. Also the longer the ramp the better. The FZ6 is pretty top heavy. No kickstand in tow. Use straps and don't over tighten as your forks don't like non lateral pressure.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BajaBob

Reaction score
Visit site
I would not recommend riding the bike off a truck. If a bike gets damaged that's one thing. But personal safety should always be a priority.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do people back them down while walking alongside and letting gravity do its thing

I do exactly what you said, I back it down while walking alongside it. My trailer is not very high so I can hold the front brake, step off the back next to the ramp then gently let it down.

Loading, strapping and unloading unaided is easy if you take your time.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do exactly what you said, I back it down while walking alongside it. My trailer is not very high so I can hold the front brake, step off the back next to the ramp then gently let it down.

Loading, strapping and unloading unaided is easy if you take your time.

I walk mine down too and my trailer is relatively low. However, it's actually harder for me to unload the bike than load it! With my narrow ramp, it's a guessing game if my rear wheel is near the middle as I walk it down.. it's very difficult to see it. It helps a great deal if someone's there to tell me if I need to correct my line.

Oh I also use a small step near the trailer for smoother transition as I walk the bike up/down.