Bike electrics open to the elements?

fz6blue

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I've just completed the dual light mod to my fz6 and am very pleased that I'm no longer flashed all evening by car drivers being 'helpful'.

Anyway, when I put everything back together I noticed for the first time how big the gap is in front of the fuel tank but behind the handlebars which looks down to some of the electrical connectors just in front of the battery box. I tucked the male/female connector back into the frame from where I found it after the dual light mod was completed but if you peek down you can still see it! Is this likely to cause an issue - I'm guessing water must be able to get in there when washing the bike or in the rain?! Do any of you guys put some extra cover down there to protect the electrics more or am I just over-reacting?
:don'tknow:
You're advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Anything that could be damaged by water is well sealed. Don't worry about it.

All the really critical stuff is under the seat anyway.

I sprayed the connections with electrical cleaner when I just did my dual setup. Just made sure the connection was clean, I don't think enough moisture will get down there to start a problem. I usually clean things as I go when I have certain parts of the bike open anyway.

I shrink wrap my wires...
1.It looks better
2. Keeps them neater & less exposed
3. The heat dries em and seals em
4. It looks better
5. I just like to play with torches

If you're talking about the exposed battery box area in between the tank and the frame, it's not a problem. I've washed my bike plenty of times and sprayed water on the tank and haven't had an issue, although I wait for it to dry before I ride it.

That's good to hear, I didn't want to blow the electrics by riding in the rain. I might wrap the cables next time I have that part of the bike exposed but I'm glad other people had noticed it too. Thanks all for the answers!

Cheers and safe riding. :D

I know I am kind of stupid, but I love to ride in the rain. Never a problem with electrics.

Although I don't love it...rain is definitely something I have to embrace riding and living here in the uk!! Now I just need to rewaterproof my textiles so that I don't get a soggy crotch once I get to work and I'll be sorted!

Back