bigger front sprocket

DeadRider

Relax & Enjoy
Reaction score
Visit site
I run 17T JT sprocket & have checked speedo vs. GPS (Garmin 60CSX) and it's completely accurate at 60, 70, 80, 90 & 100 mph. If there is a difference it is so little that I can't read it...

Difference in odometer is 5% less than GPS.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
'since I don't think I ever take my bike to 120MPH & 14KRPM, I was thinking going to 15 tooth counter sprocket. Any thoughts on this...aside from being higher rpms & quick.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
'since I don't think I ever take my bike to 120MPH & 14KRPM, I was thinking going to 15 tooth counter sprocket. Any thoughts on this...aside from being higher rpms & quick.

more wear and tear on your front sprocket and chain. and speedo being even more optimistic. odometer will add miles too fast as well. you can correct the instruments, but you'll have to shell out more cash for a speedohealer.

I don't get gearing the FZ6 even shorter. I don't need 1st gear to be any lower. And I certainly don't want 6th gear to be any lower. I'm going +1 up front when I change my chain and sprockets. From what I've read, the difference in acceleration is negligible. And if I was worried about acceleration, I could always keep it a gear lower than normal.

If I rode primarily in urban and suburban areas at lower speeds I guess I could see it. But for riding in the country and on highways, the higher cruising RPMs would frustrate me. I'm really looking forward to a dead-on speedo as well!

Reaction score
Visit site
The 17t JT drive sprocket that i bought a few weeks ago, was finally installed.
Before the switch, 60mph was 5000rpm, and 80mph was 6500rpm.
There is no change after the switch, which makes no sense to me at all.
It does feel that off-the-line has a small distance increase before shifting tho.
The sprocket is a bit noisy, but not intolerable.

I'll be going back to stock when the new nut arrives..

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I might do the +1 front at some point. Kinda like the stock gearing. What about going -1 or 2 teeth on the rear?

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
The 17t JT drive sprocket that i bought a few weeks ago, was finally installed.
Before the switch, 60mph was 5000rpm, and 80mph was 6500rpm.
There is no change after the switch, which makes no sense to me at all.

Your speedometer reading won't change when you adjust the gearing. It's not an actual measure of your speed. It's a calculation based off the spinning of the output shaft, before your sprockets come into play. So now when your speedometer says you're going 60MPH, you actually are. Before, you were actually going about 55MPH. The RPM did not change even though your actual speed increased. If you really want to compare RPM vs. speed with different sprockets, you need to use a GPS for your speed measurements. From what I've read, I believe your sprocket change yields a 300-400RPM decrease at cruising speeds.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy Sprockets and chains? I have heard that its a good idea to change them all together as the chain and both sprockets tend to wear together.

Indysuperbikes has good deals on sprocket sets w chains. I just bought a JT -1 sprocket for the front from motorcycle superstore. Jake Wilson also has deals on sprockets as well.

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking of going +1 in the front as well for some lower RPM. Living in Italy the speed limit on highways is 130km/h. The vibrations annoys me at that speed, hoping to cut it down a bit. I find myself looking for a 7th gear at time so from what people are saying I think I will be happy with the results.

Any online places anyone recommends getting a new front sprocket at for an 2006?

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up ordering a 17 tooth SuperSprox Stealth Front Sprocket from Kneedraggers, came out to $34 shipped to my APO address. Not to track down the washer I need replace with it. Knee Draggers only wanted like $3 for the washer but another $15 to ship it, not sure whats up with that. I hate my APO address at times. Won't get to install them until Mid September but I look forward to it.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I've now done this and am really pleased with the result. It may not be for everyone, but it's perfect for people that spend a lot of time on the motorway like me. I've put details here.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I've now done this and am really pleased with the result. It may not be for everyone, but it's perfect for people that spend a lot of time on the motorway like me. I've put details here.

That is a good writeup of how to change your chain and sprockets, but where is the sidestand mod for lowered bikes?:BLAA:

FWIW with my -1/+2 sprockets (opposite of you guys I know) I run 8000 RPM at 80 MPH.

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got around to putting on my 17t SuperSprox sprocket I got from Kneedraggers. Installed it in about 30 minutes yesterday and enjoyed a nice 180 mile ride to the mountains in Italy today. What a difference cruising on the autostrada (freeway). I'm no longer searching a 7th gear anymore and vibes that I used to have are now non existent.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Smart mod, I always found myself looking for 7th gear when on the freeway.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a good writeup of how to change your chain and sprockets, but where is the sidestand mod for lowered bikes?:BLAA:

FWIW with my -1/+2 sprockets (opposite of you guys I know) I run 8000 RPM at 80 MPH.
Lol. I ****ed the titles up when posting. Got Boneman to sort it for me now. I've done the sidestand mod & have pictures and details ready to post. Just need the time! Couple of other bits too...