big bore kit

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
well considering i have about $500 in my bike TOTAL invested from price to mods, i got alot of money to spend if you wanna look at it like that lol

i look at it like making the bike how I want it, more power and more comfort are always going to be on the forefornt of my thoughts

I'm not against mods. Just seems like you can go overboard. I would like to upgrade the suspension on mine. There are some mods that I think are worth doing. I was also thinking of the ECU reflash just to possibly make the engine more efficient.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not against mods. Just seems like you can go overboard. I would like to upgrade the suspension on mine. There are some mods that I think are worth doing. I was also thinking of the ECU reflash just to possibly make the engine more efficient.

Yeah everybody has their own thing and me personally growing up at a dragstrip, you could never have enough power as long as you had traction and I still gots traction so I could use more power lol

Will I do this? No because I couldn't justify spending the money or even have the money vs just buying a fz1. Which is probably the case for most middle class americans.

Would i do it? Sure if I had tons of money laying around, of course I would because I love the fz6 just like everyone else who owns one, hell I might even 1up that guy from England who supercharged his fz6 and go turbo!

Ahhhh... A guy can dream cant he lol

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I would be very surprised if it took more than a few mm longer 'throw' on the pistons to achieve 900 cc displacement.

I reckon it would take roughly 50% more stroke to go from 600cc to 900cc. :BLAA:

So, just add another 22mm stroke, figure out where to fit that extra 22mm between shorter rods, shorter pin-to-crown pistons, and higher deck, and go for it! :thumbup:

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
So just to clarify, are all years fz6 based on the 2003 r6 motor? I have an 08 and I'm interested in figuring out which years r6 cams would be a drop in replacement.

Is it 03 through 05, or just the 03?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
So just to clarify, are all years fz6 based on the 2003 r6 motor? I have an 08 and I'm interested in figuring out which years r6 cams would be a drop in replacement.

Is it 03 through 05, or just the 03?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yes sir they are, all fz6's have the same engine which is based of the 03-05 R6 but some of the later model R6s have the same engine and will work too.

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Please answer if you did the cam swap

To anyone who has ever done the cam swap....

-Did you notice a drop in low-mid range torque?
-What was the overall impression?

Clay

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I reckon it would take roughly 50% more stroke to go from 600cc to 900cc. :BLAA:

So, just add another 22mm stroke, figure out where to fit that extra 22mm between shorter rods, shorter pin-to-crown pistons, and higher deck, and go for it! :thumbup:

The con rod offset on the crank would only have to be 11mm, as it affects the stroke plus and minus..... that would get you to 900cc. If you are simply looking for more HP out of the FZ6 mill, I doubt you'd have to go that far. A 5mm increase would give you a displacement of >750cc. That's probably more attainable, and would still show a significant boost in HP.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The con rod offset on the crank would only have to be 11mm, as it affects the stroke plus and minus..... that would get you to 900cc. If you are simply looking for more HP out of the FZ6 mill, I doubt you'd have to go that far. A 5mm increase would give you a displacement of >750cc. That's probably more attainable, and would still show a significant boost in HP.

I think weisco makes a 636 stroker kit for the R6 but i cant imagine there would be much more room with out some SERIOUS ENGINE MODS to allow for much more stroke. but combine the stroker and big bore kit and WOW that would be a force to be reconded with

Stroke Any Engine - How To - Hot Rod Magazine

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think weisco makes a 636 stroker kit for the R6 but i cant imagine there would be much more room with out some SERIOUS ENGINE MODS to allow for much more stroke. but combine the stroker and big bore kit and WOW that would be a force to be reconded with

Stroke Any Engine - How To - Hot Rod Magazine

That sounds like it would be cool. Someone on here need to DEW IT!!!!!

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the 636 kit is just bigger pistons from wisco. The same mob make high comp stock bore piston kits that would go straight in the fz6. The pistons are the same part number as the r6 :) when mine gets a bit tired that's what it will get. Will be a while yet though.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It might be, but I know I have seen stroker kits available, but there is no such thing as just installing bigger pistons for more cc's it has to be bored or stroked

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Stock:
Bore/Stroke
65.5 × 44.5 mm (2.58 × 1.75 in)
= 149.99CCs per cyl

Desired: 750
65.5 × 55.8 mm (2.58 × 2.20 in)
= 188.5 CCs per cyl or 754 CCs

Now you need the big headers, a new intake, new TBs, and injectors.
So the question is; can the block be relieved 6mm to accommodate a stroker crank? Plus you'll need custom pistons made so they don't smash into the head when they go up another 5.7mm!

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys this has all ready been discussed in the past. Essentially not REALISTICALLY possible with the FZ6 motor. From what I remember the only option was slightly bigger pistons for somehthing like 40cc extra displacement. One guy was going to attempt this but I never heard the outcome. It was a big job with re coating the cylinders. And then dealing with the issue of very thin sidewalls.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Anything is possible with money, time and will. Obviously most people will not want to spend this kind of money on a bike that is worth half of the mod, but there are also people out there who spend $10,000 on a set of wheels for a car that is only worth $1000.

The fz6 engine is the same as the r6 on the bottom end so this will work.

I don't get why so many people shoot down ideas like this when it's not their bike or there money to spend. If someone doesn't want to do it to their bike then dont, but just because someone else wants to think outside the box doesn't mean it's a bad idea or impossible.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anything is possible with money, time and will. Obviously most people will not want to spend this kind of money on a bike that is worth half of the mod, but there are also people out there who spend $10,000 on a set of wheels for a car that is only worth $1000.

The fz6 engine is the same as the r6 on the bottom end so this will work.

I don't get why so many people shoot down ideas like this when it's not their bike or there money to spend. If someone doesn't want to do it to their bike then dont, but just because someone else wants to think outside the box doesn't mean it's a bad idea or impossible.

Stroking this engine is certainly doable even if you had to weld up the crank case. Its a matter of finding a stroker crank and having the pistons made.
But before either kit goes in, I'd want to know the ideal bore stroke ratio as it will have a huge impact on the cam timing too. So I guess this is my way of saying if be prepared for custom cams and ignition too!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Stock:
Bore/Stroke
65.5 × 44.5 mm (2.58 × 1.75 in)
= 149.99CCs per cyl

Desired: 750
65.5 × 55.8 mm (2.58 × 2.20 in)
= 188.5 CCs per cyl or 754 CCs

Now you need the big headers, a new intake, new TBs, and injectors.
So the question is; can the block be relieved 6mm to accommodate a stroker crank? Plus you'll need custom pistons made so they don't smash into the head when they go up another 5.7mm!

I don't think you'd need larger diameter headers, or a new intake -- odds are the same throttle bodies and injectors would work, as well (they'd spend more time open all the way across the RPM range). Powerwise, the top end would suffer some compared to the optimized setup now, but would that matter if you increased the bottom end by 20-30%?

The rotational area of the crank likely doesn't change, you'd only be moving the con rod connection 5 mm outwards (for a ~750cc motor). I say all of this, because Honda has already done this. I've ridden those bikes. They are an impressive accomplishment.

The biggest issue (in my view) is the need to increase the deck height of the head that 5mm to maintain mechanical clearance. The lower end of the cylinder bores would have to be checked to ensure the rods don't clip the bore....

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think you'd need larger diameter headers, or a new intake -- odds are the same throttle bodies and injectors would work, as well (they'd spend more time open all the way across the RPM range). Powerwise, the top end would suffer some compared to the optimized setup now, but would that matter if you increased the bottom end by 20-30%?

The rotational area of the crank likely doesn't change, you'd only be moving the con rod connection 5 mm outwards (for a ~750cc motor). I say all of this, because Honda has already done this. I've ridden those bikes. They are an impressive accomplishment.

The biggest issue (in my view) is the need to increase the deck height of the head that 5mm to maintain mechanical clearance. The lower end of the cylinder bores would have to be checked to ensure the rods don't clip the bore....

I was simply throwing out the "keep it mind stuff". It would be fun to play in this realm. . . A fiz that pulls the nose up with little effort would be sweet!

Increasing the deck height is no simple task and its why I opted for new pistons. Granted this short piston may not be optimal as it also has to clear the crank with its increased throw. Even if you shortened the rods, it still needs piston work. So the question is; is this doable or is it easier to re-sleeve the block increasing the bore? Still need custom pistons made.

The mid range torque would be so Sweeeeeet!

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Im not shooting anything down. I would love to have a little more displacement even if it cost some top end power. I realize you can do anything with enough money and time. I love modding things. I said REALISTICALLY in my response for a reason. There are to many hurdles to overcome trying to make this engine bigger for a REASONABLE amount of money. It would be several thousand. Anyone ever thought of or know of any good candidates for an engine swap?