Better windscreen advice !

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a stock windscreen on my FZ6 its a 2004. When I am riding I get a pretty good wind blast from the screen. I am 6 ft tall. I get hit on the chest and upwards. I have looked at various options like the Yamaha oem Tall windscreen which makes the bike look a lot less sportier :( Also seen posts on Puig etc.

Please give some advice from personal experience and any pics would help too.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, there.
Here is my experience with wind-screen.
Mine is 2006, and might same type as yours, and I'm 5' 11'' tall.
I replaced my windscreen with Yamaha Taller Windscreen a month ago.
And the winds turblance is almost (95%) gone for me.
You won't regret it, if you changed it with Taller Windscreen.
I searched here for the same problems that you're having now.
And no good luck for me, but there are other options like shortening the windscreen....and etc.. try to search here.
And seems that about 5' 7'' to 6' xxx heights persons will have advantage with Yamaha Taller Windscreen.
Now, I'm having very comfty highway riding with Taller Screen...
Just for my experience.

GAH

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently using the taller Yamaha windshield on my '06' again (I've switched back and forth a few times). I agree that the stock piece looks better, but the taller one works better in my opinion. Less wind noise, less helmet buffeting and way fewer bugs, in other words, a much more pleasent ride.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Man up, go NAKED!!!

Just kidding ;) The Puig Double-Bubble is about 3 inches higher and provides alot of shelter, and in my opinion looks better than the Tall Yamaha Screen. If you take a look at my Avatar picture you will see that the Puig is as high as the Tall Yamaha Screen.

I'm 5' 9" and the air never touched me, I recently cut my Puig down for a more sporty look and now catch the wind right at the faceshield.

FazerNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
Man up, go NAKED!!!

Just kidding ;) The Puig Double-Bubble is about 3 inches higher and provides alot of shelter, and in my opinion looks better than the Tall Yamaha Screen. If you take a look at my Avatar picture you will see that the Puig is as high as the Tall Yamaha Screen.

I'm 5' 9" and the air never touched me, I recently cut my Puig down for a more sporty look and now catch the wind right at the faceshield.

The air never touched you? I'm 5'7 and after a week with the Puig, I threw it in the garbage -- well not really in the garbage, I sold it for 1/2 price. You will get blasted with wind on the Puig - how much depends on your riding posture and height.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the puig db "touring" screen. The taller one. I'm 6'. The wind hits me around the shoulders/head but it's not intolerable. It's only slightly better than the stock screen in this regard, IMHO. With the stock screen, I felt the wind right at the chin/upper chest (and up), and now it flows/hits a little higher.

For perspective, you might try taking your screen off completely and then going out for a ride. Get a real good feel for what a full-on wind blast feels like. Then put the screen back on and bask in the realization of how much even the stock screen helps. Perspective, that's the ticket... ;)

I like the tinted appearance of the screen over the stock clear.

Here's a pic I provided for a similar discussion. It's intended to show the difference in the height of the stock and db touring version.
View attachment 16255

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Simple test, ride with the screen, put your hand in front of you about 6 inches and move it up and down, you will see where the protection stops.

The air never touched you? I'm 5'7 and after a week with the Puig, I threw it in the garbage -- well not really in the garbage, I sold it for 1/2 price. You will get blasted with wind on the Puig - how much depends on your riding posture and height.

Wow! That sucks, I rode with this screen for 17,000 miles, I sit pretty upright and the wind rarely touched me. Did you have the Double-Bubble? I have since cut the screen down 3 inches for looks and definitely feel the wind on my helmet.

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a lot of info from everyone here, thanks a lot. I will be doing some testing as advised by you'll the FZ6 Guru's out here and get back with a decision soon. Meanwhile please share and post pics if you can.

sycamoredave

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the taller OEM screen on my '95. At 6'3", I found it to be less than adequate, and added the Laminar Lip. The Lip is made for the short screen, so it is not a perfect fit, and I could not get comfortable with the attachment. I ended up using plastic license plate bolts to attach the thing. The air flow is still not perfect, but much smoother, and the helmet buffeting is much less. Hopefully someone will come up with a better solution, but for now, this is as good as it gets.

gearheadstu

Reaction score
Visit site

QFT. Steve's really onto something here.

If nothing else, you really owe it to yourself to unbolt the stock screen and go for a ride.

It is easy to think that taller == better. Maybe for some, and if that's you, great.

Some will find that the exact opposite is true. Its certainly been my experience. I tested the "screenless" format a while ago and expect that I'll never go back to something even as tall as OEM.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
QFT. Steve's really onto something here.

If nothing else, you really owe it to yourself to unbolt the stock screen and go for a ride.

It is easy to think that taller == better. Maybe for some, and if that's you, great.

Some will find that the exact opposite is true. Its certainly been my experience. I tested the "screenless" format a while ago and expect that I'll never go back to something even as tall as OEM.

I bought my 06 FZ6 with the taller Yamaha touring screen already fitted. I'm about 5ft9in and thought that I would be getting some good protection. However, I've noticed that the wind seems to hit me right in the face and as a result my helmet noise is pretty high. I did a couple of tests, raising your hand in front and actually standing up as well to experience the wind hitting my chest more. The helmet noise was reduced by loads!!!!!

As a result I've just ordered a new Puig double bubble. As said above, this really does seem to be a very individual choice! I thought being shorter and having a taller screen would be good, but I've found the contrary to be true!

Ashbone

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I can get pictures for you no problem, it cost me just over $100 US and is in excellent condition, it was put on at the end of the season last year and taken off again the start of this season so maybe done 100 ks or less, there are a lot of threads about these screens and I am going to be honest with you it did not work for me and I have gone back to the original but everyone is different so what works for one may not for another, just a word of warning when purchasing!
If you are still interested PM me and I will take a couple of pictures of it, please note the picture is not my bike but does demonstrate the screen really well.

Cheers:thumbup:

my bike is an 04 will it fit?Whats the condition? do u have pics ?