Best quote from a cop about motorcyclist

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish it was under different circumstances, but there was another motorcycle fatality here in Vegas over the weekend involving a FZ6R. Typical car pulling out a business and the rider was travelling down the right lane, which is not the best lane to be in just becuase it allows a zero buffer zone.

I'll spare you the pictures & video, but quoted in the media was from an accident investigator by Metro. I thought this was one of the most complementing quote I have ever came across from a LEO.

Here's the quote:

"Metro says with traffic accidents like this, everyone wants to blame the motorcyclist, but it's actually their fault only 10-percent of the time.
Detectives say motorcyclists are among the safest on the road because they know in a battle versus a vehicle, they'll lose. That's why they're extra cautious."

Let's not make him eat his word, everyone be careful out there and ride responsible.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
from here today:

A rash of motorcycle crashes, including two fatalities, is prompting police to issue a wake-up call to riders.

On Saturday, three accidents involving motorcycles occurred. Two people died and four others were injured; all within a 24 hour span.

In one incident, police say a 37-year old man was riding his motorcycle down Anthony Henday Derive when he lost control of his bike. He slammed into a girder and was thrown off his bike, falling 10 feet from the overpass to the road below. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Minutes before that accident, emergency crews and STARS Air Ambulance were called out near Lake Wabamun, where a man on a bike was killed. A third crash involving multiple motorcycles was reported east of the city; injuring three people.

Bill Busch, a motorcycle rider in training, happened to drive by the scene of the Henday accident; witnessing first hand the consequences of what could possibly go wrong while riding. One day later, Busch is back on his bike. But he says it's not a popular decision.

"My family really doesn't want me on a motorcycle," said Busch.

Witnesses say the driver of the motorcycle in that crash was speeding excessively, prompting police to issue a warning to all motorcyclists.

"You are not invincible," says Sgt. Brad Manz with the Edmonton Police Force. "These things do happen and nine times out of 10 they are speed related."

Word of the crashes has motorcycle instructors at NAIT questioning how ready some riders are to be on the road.

"There is a possibility that maybe they did need more training," said Trina Hennig. "Maybe they did need more experience, maybe they weren't quite ready to be in that situation."

Staff says that in the end, despite how much training and experience you have on a bike, bikes are only as safe as the people riding them.

"We can't teach safety, safety is an attitude," says Tyler Tong. "You could be the best rider in the world but if you don't ride properly, under the conditions, you could still get in trouble."

Still, instructors point out for every crash, there are hundreds of safe rides.

As for Bill Busch, despite what he's seen lately, he's still eager to ride, but will carry the images from the accident with him.

"You're not going to catch me speeding," says Busch. "You're not going to catch me doing things that contribute to non-bike safety. I've got too much to lose."

As do I. Family needs me. While I am the first to advocate legal limits are silly, speeding is also silly. And I mean unsafe speeds....not 75 in a 60....

Be safe peeps.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot to add that the driver fled the scene. Turned out to be a Hit n Run involving a fatality. Now the misdemeanor turns out to be a felony. Some people are so stupid.

But thanks to good police work, they found the vehicle nearby in an apartment complex.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Detectives say a minority of motorcyclists are among the safest on the road because they know in a battle versus a vehicle, they'll lose. That's why they're extra cautious.

Fixed it for a more accurate picture IMO.

In my own experience riding around this weekend, 9 motorcyclists out of 10 were wearing shorts and t-shirts (either on their Harley or Gixxers) here in SoCal... not sure how that translates into "we're the safest and we're extra cautious"....

Unfortunately I think the safest/extra cautious motorcyclists are a minority... at least around here.... which explains our image and the first quote "everyone wants to blame the motorcyclist"... I don't blame them when I look around!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fixed it for a more accurate picture IMO.

In my own experience riding around this weekend, 9 motorcyclists out of 10 were wearing shorts and t-shirts (either on their Harley or Gixxers) here in SoCal... not sure how that translates into "we're the safest and we're extra cautious"....

Unfortunately I think the safest/extra cautious motorcyclists are a minority... at least around here.... which explains our image and the first quote "everyone wants to blame the motorcyclist"... I don't blame them when I look around!

You make a great point David. I agree.

But I'll still take the compliment and it's something that is rarely seen these days, especially from a cop. So it was kind of refreshing to see this, but under horrible circumstances.

Maybe he was referring more of a mental capacity. The use of our eyes and mind on the roadway. But again I know there are a lot of riders out there who ride with a very poor mental stategy.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Just yesterday, I was driving my bus in downtown Portland, and as I was getting on the I-205 in traffic, I seen 2 bikes riding with traffic, waiting their turn, and then 3 crotch rockets went by splitting the lanes, and cutting cars off to ride on the shoulder. Makes you wonder why people see bikes as the problem.

For those that don't know, it is illegal to split lanes and ride on the shoulder in both WA and OR.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have found the biggest factor in slowing me down on the road is simply...the thought of my kids not having their dad!

Not everyone has kids to make them "think".

A big arguement that is being used in Oz at the moment, in adressing the road toll, and speed, or reckless riding, or driving being a factor, especially amongst young riders/drivers, is 2 things....1. driver/rider training, and 2. There needs to be more facility's about the place, where people can take their cars/bikes, and drive/ride fast in a safer environment...ie: race tracks!

But my problem with this though, is Bravado....a lot of people go way too fast because it serves their ego, especially when riding/driving in a group situation....it's like my friends are watching, i will show them how good/cool i am!

It aint so cool when you kill your friends driving/riding like it's a racetrack....crossing onto the wrong side of the road to get that "racing line", drifting around corners, drag racing, etc...

It doesnt matter how good you are...on the roads, there is an "X factor" potentially looming around every corner!!!

Human nature is hard to train, and as such, no matter what is done, people will harm themselves...no matter how good their intentions are!!!

And it doesnt matter how experienced you are....even World Champions die in simple traffic accidents....Mike Hailwood, Norick Abe are bleak reminders of this!!!

As others have said, please be careful....

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Damn shame about the rider :(

But wow, what a thing for a cop to say, under any circumstances! Basically the rider did nothing wrong, or was at least not negligent.

We got a similar issue here though, easy to say "buffer zone", and we all get it i think. But how do you get to those guys who don't think that way yet?

Sometimes i think you could just chat to them, point out the "obvious" stuff?

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's pretty sad the people who don't ride with proper gear or ride crazy. You have to pretend you are invisible and expect the unexpected all the time you are riding. It seems the cops are mostly on our side. But there is too many riders that give us good guys and girls a bad name. Alway have fun but be as safe as possible!

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Just stumbled across this. We've just suffered through a rash of accidents that killed motorcyclists. In all three instances a car crossed the centerline. To be fair all three bikers were not wearing helmets, but I don't know that under the circumstances that they could've survived a head on collision with a car.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.779298,-91.205837

Darken Dioxen

Reaction score
Visit site
We have to many Squids in upstate NY, I think the actual number of courteous, safe and PREPARED drivers is 1 in 20. I have almost been creamed while RIDING by some ass crotch rocketing through heavy traffic...subsequently I have had very few near death incidents with Cagers...maybe it is because I can SEE THEM when they are doing stupid stuff. Even as a rider I don't expect some dip to come ripping through traffic at double the traffic speed.

As with anything, the few loose cannons make the responsible people look bad and have to defend their right to ride.