Best place to get tires replaced?

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
I have about 7500 miles on my original tires and am about to get them replaced. Im guessing it will be the Michelin Road Pilots. Besides just going to the dealer and getting it done do I have any other options? What is usually the most cost affective route?

Thanks,

Clay

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're planning on riding long term, I would invest in the stand and bead breaker to do it on your own. It's not terribly difficult, but it will require you to be diligent about doing it yourself for it to make financial sense.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Clay, if you're in the twin cities area, I have about a dozen friends with tire changers nearby. They change tires for beer and the hilarity of watching someone new try their hand at it. The only specialized tool is the 19mm allen socket for the front axle, which you are welcome to borrow from me. :thumbup:

Otherwise, Simply Sportbikes in Eden Prairie and Midwest Cycle in S. Mpls have reasonable rates, more so if you bring in just the wheels, rather than the entire bike. Midwest does add a charge if you don't buy the tire from them, which kinda sucks, since their prices aren't all that competitive.

Dennis Kirk has good prices and orders over $100 are shipped next-day for free. For what it is worth, I've been very happy with the Bridgestone BT023 which is typically a fair bit cheaper than the PR3 and PR2. 9300 miles on the last rear.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're planning on riding long term, I would invest in the stand and bead breaker to do it on your own. It's not terribly difficult, but it will require you to be diligent about doing it yourself for it to make financial sense.

+1

You don't even need to invest in much really. I break the bead using a 2x4 and my shed.

If you are creative, own tire levers, some basic tools/materials this can be done in your back yard very cheap.

Want to do it really quick and easy? Cut the old tires off with a sawzall (or similar) and install them using this method (that I'm personally trying in the next few days for kicks.... Mount a motorcycle tire without tools

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks grainbelt. I think I will take the advice and just order tires. Then maybe have someone help me or try it myself. I am a fairly accomplished garage mechanic but have only been riding for a year or two. I wanted to have someone look the bike over to see if there is anything I have been missing.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
If I may ask all of you do it yourselfers, how do you balance them accurately? Just wondering if the old "heavy spot" method works or what?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site

I have my own setup. I have the HFT motorcycle tire attachment and my own bead breaker. I even went for the Mojo blocks and MojoLever. I just did tires last Friday. News flash: It IS terribly difficult. I told myself next time I am taking the wheels off and bringing them in to the shop

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
News flash: It IS terribly difficult. I told myself next time I am taking the wheels off and bringing them in to the shop

In my experience it is all about technique and lube. You can make up for shoddy technique with adequate lubrication.

As for balancing, you need to buy a balancer and some sticky lead weights to do it right. heavy spot at the valve stem is a good start, but (at least on a street bike) I balance mine.