Best place to buy

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I'm starting to push my bike harder, i'm noticing how slow the suspension is through corners. My brother has a gsxr 600 and it is incredible the difference in handling. I feel like I can take corners on his bike at the same speed as mine with my eyes closed. I'm not really up for doing the r6 forks just yet.

So I'm thinking about doing springs and oil.

So for those that have gotten the racetech springs, 15wt oil and emulators, where did you get them?? how much?

Thanks!

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Racetech springs were tested by a few members here with great results. You can choose the one for you based on your riding style & your weight. There is a calculator on their site. I also found some 'Prgressive' brand on ebay, but I have never heard about them on this forum. Hope this helps/

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Race Tech or Progressive or really any spring will be an improvement over the stock fork spring if you weigh 160/165 lbs and up. 15 wt oil is a good place to begin, 10 wt will work well too. Emulators will make a very big difference in damping and the smoothness of the fork

If your goal is to have your suspension respond like an SS bike, skip the Race Tech route and convert to R6 forks. The difference between a stock fork with Race Tech and an R6 fork is night and day. Also with the R6 you will have external adjusting screws for damping and preload.

The FZ6 rear shock is not bad, but not great. Better than the fork. An Ohlins will make a huge difference in performance and comfort. Like the R6 fork, the Ohlins will allow the rear suspension for follow the bump/dip, and not cause the wheel to hop. They both have a smoother action, less stiction, so the ride is more comfortable too.

Race Tech Inc.

For Ohlins several of us have bought from Hard Racing. I paid $710 for a remote shock shipped. I think DI paid about $680 You will need to email them to get the most current pricing. With the dollar being stronger now the price may have come down.

They sell three different models for the FZ6 so check the charts out to make sure you are looking at the right thing.

OHLINS MAIN

One final thought, our rear suspension is linear, not linkage. It will never be as good as a linkage system, but with the Ohlins is it pretty darn close.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Last edited:

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
With the technology these days, I dont believe that hardly anyone on this forum will be able to push the fz6 to its full potentials and acutally need all of these mods. (cep maybe defy)

If you think about how hard and how fast people rode in the late 80s early 90s, and what kinda tires they had on them. A 140 rear tire, and they went faster than most guys now a days. Crap suspension, heavy, sport touring tires, a lot of those guys rode them to the max, with only maybe a bolt on for noise.

Hell, I have the racetechs, but it still amazes me what can be done on a stock bike.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
With the technology these days, I dont believe that hardly anyone on this forum will be able to push the fz6 to its full potentials and acutally need all of these mods. (cep maybe defy)

If you think about how hard and how fast people rode in the late 80s early 90s, and what kinda tires they had on them. A 140 rear tire, and they went faster than most guys now a days. Crap suspension, heavy, sport touring tires, a lot of those guys rode them to the max, with only maybe a bolt on for noise.

Hell, I have the racetechs, but it still amazes me what can be done on a stock bike.

It's easier to ride hard on a bike that is more capable. It's not that I'd ever exceed the bikes capabilities.

gonecrazy

Reaction score
Visit site

coming from a road racer point of veiw it would be fairly easy to ride a stock fz to it potential. I cant even stand to ride on a bike with stock suspension now that I have got acustom to bikes that have been very well set up.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
coming from a road racer point of veiw it would be fairly easy to ride a stock fz to it potential. I cant even stand to ride on a bike with stock suspension now that I have got acustom to bikes that have been very well set up.

I agree, once you've ridden a bike that is set up for you, you become spoiled!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well yes and no. My race bike had a 100 on the front and a 130 on the back. Stock was a 90 and a 110. I was stylin'! The tires were pretty good then, Michelin Hi-Sports were the hot tire. Warmed up quick and stuck well.

The suspension was okay. My RZ350 had Progressive Suspension fork springs, a fork brace, and tapered roller bearings in the stear tube. The forks were only 34mm, and I had a stearing damper. The rear suspension was good, a linear one. I used a Fox remote shock with the stock spring.

The frame was a fairly stiff for the day. Pre Delta Box but it was good.

Just like today we fiddled with the set up all the time, trying to get it jsut right for the day, or the track.

The FZ is much, much easier to ride fast in certain respects. It is about 140 lbs heavier than my RZ, the throttle (FI) is so damn touchy when trying to gently roll it on. So it's not perfect, but good.

I've always felt that the more adjustablity one has the better, whether you are on the track or the street, as you can set up the bike however you like it so it is more comfortable and easier to use.

Just because a better technology exists doesn't mean one should pass it up to be hero.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Well yes and no. My race bike had a 100 on the front and a 130 on the back. Stock was a 90 and a 110. I was stylin'! The tires were pretty good then, Michelin Hi-Sports were the hot tire. Warmed up quick and stuck well.

The suspension was okay. My RZ350 had Progressive Suspension fork springs, a fork brace, and tapered roller bearings in the stear tube. The forks were only 34mm, and I had a stearing damper. The rear suspension was good, a linear one. I used a Fox remote shock with the stock spring.

The frame was a fairly stiff for the day. Pre Delta Box but it was good.

Just like today we fiddled with the set up all the time, trying to get it jsut right for the day, or the track.

The FZ is much, much easier to ride fast in certain respects. It is about 140 lbs heavier than my RZ, the throttle (FI) is so damn touchy when trying to gently roll it on. So it's not perfect, but good.

I've always felt that the more adjustablity one has the better, whether you are on the track or the street, as you can set up the bike however you like it so it is more comfortable and easier to use.

Just because a better technology exists doesn't mean one should pass it up to be hero.

Yes, setting it up for the track you will need to change it up quite a bit. But the average canyon carver rode the snot outa stock bikes. My dad shows me pics and tells me storys about guys who had mediocre bikes that would be able to beat guys on supersport bikes nowadays.

He has pictures from palomar in late 80s early 90s when the gsxr 1100 was the bike to have. He road a hurricane 600 to its limits. I just wish I could see how fast he was! He can still beat me on his 07 Tiger 1050. And with the saying the older you are the faster you were... I can only imagine.

I have great respect for riders 20 years ago. Im impressed with what they could do with the machines they had.

gonecrazy

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on that. I have logged 22 years street riding under my belt with 10 yrs of track also. man I remmeber my old hurricane

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, we have totally T/J'd. Sorry Lattin.

So a 91 GSXR1100 is a very capable bike yesterday and today. There is always a crazy dude on Palamor or Angles Crest, or the Rock Store who could spank a lot of people. All that means is they are a faster rider on the street, and perhaps a bit too dumb to be going that fast on the street. I've seen those same type of folks get on the track and crash all of the time because they had to prove something to someone. My friend Crazy Mike was like that. He was the fastest dude up and down Angles Crest for years and he did it on a BMW R100GS, the big Enduro bike. Mike was dumb with a capital "D". When he finally got on the track with a Duc 916, he crashed so hard that he spend about two months in the hospital and his arms and one leg are still all jacked up today.

Point being if someone wants to make their bike better who cares? Our fork sucks, period. It is really a bad fork and if a person is beginning to ride faster it is wise to improve it.

I had one of those old bikes, an '81 GS1100, and it was scary as hell to ride fast. I'll take my FZ any day, and if I can make my FZ better I will.

View attachment 10488

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You have the voice of truth and reason there my friend. Boy could those guys ride.
Unfortunately you have missed one small detail. They had talent to make up the shortfall in the technology.
Most of us on the other hand lack the talent so require the technology.
I am just joshing with you.
I whole heartedly agree with you. Who really has the ability to push the bike beyond its technological limits.
I for one have already had my bum puckering moment when the FZ6 wants to really get going lol.
Great post.

Nelly

Last edited:

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I'll be ordering everything shortly. As far as I'm concerned, I feel that the more I ride my bike and the harder I push it, the more I can feel the lack of responsiveness in the suspension. I'd like to just simply put a couple hundred into the front end and make it feel more planted in the corners.

I went on a nice ride with my brother this weekend. When he was leading through the curves I was just cruising behind him, no stress, taking it easy. He's on an 05 gsxr 600 btw. He's been riding for 10 years now.

When I led, I was taking corners at what I thought was a comfortable speed, not pushing too hard to scare myself, and I was leaving him in the dust. When we stopped he told me that I didn't need a faster bike because I was outriding him easily on mine right now!

So when I rode his, I was taking the corners at the same speed I did on my bike and just felt absolutely planted to the ground and i could push it much much harder with ease. I know that his is built for racing and taking corners moreso than our bikes, but I'd just like to have a little better feel up front and eventually in the rear. My season is over for this year but I'll be signing up for track days whenever possible next year.

Thanks again for the help