berkeley to san diego route?

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks,
So I'm heading down to San Diego next week. It's a little over 500 miles. I could fly, but I'm thinking of riding down instead. I don't know if I can endure 500 in one day...yeah, I'm a wimp. Maybe if I think of it as five 100 mile rides...

Got a friend in Santa Barbara I haven't seen in forever, though I know it's not really the halfway point I'll probably stop there Wednesday night, then ride down to San Diego Thursday. Spend the night after my event, then head back to Santa Babs Friday morning, then home from there on Saturday.

When I google map the destination, google maps wants to put me on 5. Um yeah, I don't think so. So I think 101 is a better option, or is it?

If there's anyone in the San Diego area who might be willing to let me drop my bags while I go to the event, please let me know? I'll be traveling with a soft tail bag so I won't want to leave it on the bike while it's on it's own -- though I suppose I could carry a light cover (out of sight, out of mind).

Anyhow, thoughts, comments, and advice would be welcome.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you getting hotel? If so, even if you check out, you can keep your bags checked in at the bell desk, or front desk.

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
The 5 travels much much straighter than the 101. Needless to say it's "safer". You're more likely to suffer fatigue both mental and physical on the 101... but yeah, it's a prettier ride.

KG

If I were you, and you're not sure if you can do 500 in one day, I'd take the 5.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you choose other than the 101, I would recommend that you not take I-5/ I-405 / I-5 all the way down (LA). You should try to cut over to I-15 to the I-805 or wherever you are going to SD. Consider taking the 210 through Pasadena or cut over before then to get onto I-15.