Bent handle bars

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed today that my handle bars were slightly out of line. Like very slightly. But it’s definitely bothersome when just sitting on it.

I am a beginner so I’m wondering if anyone had any handle bar suggestions? I don’t really know what I like just yet so any suggestions would be great. I saw they had the oem handle bars for $37 and figured I might just go with that for ease of installation.

I attached a photo of where the left side of the bar is bent and the paint kinda chipped away.

isaw Some other threads discussing other bars to use (like R1 bars) but I’m not sure if that will be beginner friendly.

Attachments

• 882F70D4-4FEC-4242-8EA2-3BC6CD00E0DE.jpeg
    882F70D4-4FEC-4242-8EA2-3BC6CD00E0DE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hard to tell if they are bent in the pic.

Personally, I installed a bar from a FZ1. It is flat (no rise) and they are straight at the ends. The grips do not angle back. i find these more comfortable for my wrists.

There are lots of choices, but some general advice, get steel bars not aluminum. Steel bars do a better job of dampening vibrations than aluminum, and lord knows the FZ6 can generate some nasty vibes.

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
Hard to tell if they are bent in the pic.

Personally, I installed a bar from a FZ1. It is flat (no rise) and they are straight at the ends. The grips do not angle back. i find these more comfortable for my wrists.

There are lots of choices, but some general advice, get steel bars not aluminum. Steel bars do a better job of dampening vibrations than aluminum, and lord knows the FZ6 can generate some nasty vibes.

gotcha. I see some FZ1 handle bars that are straight that I like. Will I need to get 1” risers for it? And will I have to drill a hole in the bar for the shut off switch?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
gotcha. I see some FZ1 handle bars that are straight that I like. Will I need to get 1” risers for it? And will I have to drill a hole in the bar for the shut off switch?

Risers are another personal choice. I got the FZ1 bars because I wanted a more leaned-over riding position, so not only do I not have risers, my bars are angled down as far as possible without hitting the tank.

As for the holes, I chose to remove the pins from the controls, so no need to drill holes. I can tell you that when screwed tightly, the controls do not rotate without the pins.

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
Risers are another personal choice. I got the FZ1 bars because I wanted a more leaned-over riding position, so not only do I not have risers, my bars are angled down as far as possible without hitting the tank.

As for the holes, I chose to remove the pins from the controls, so no need to drill holes. I can tell you that when screwed tightly, the controls do not rotate without the pins.

Ahhh I see. So the FZ1 handle bars are more sporty. If I add 1 inch risers with the FZ1 bar it will place them higher up giving me a more stock bar placement height feel?

and if I ever want a more sporty leaned forward style of rising I just take the risers off?

thanks for the tip on the controls…really didn’t want to have to drill things so that’s reassuring!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Mr Green, I have a set of risers that are up for grabs. All you need pay is shipping if your interested.
I checked a few months back and a ten day turnaround is $24 Australian( just under US$18)via post.
I think the risers are 15mm up and 20 mm back.
It might be a cheap option I think new risers go around the $50 mark.
Let me know and I'll confirm postage if you are interested
cheers
Adrian

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Mr Green, I have a set of risers that are up for grabs. All you need pay is shipping if your interested.
I checked a few months back and a ten day turnaround is $24 Australian( just under US$18)via post.
I think the risers are 15mm up and 20 mm back.
It might be a cheap option I think new risers go around the $50 mark.
Let me know and I'll confirm postage if you are interested
cheers
Adrian
Thank you. I’ll definitely let you know in the coming days.

D1ck3y0da

Reaction score
Visit site
I came home a few weeks ago to my bike taking a nap. From the security camera across the street it looked like my cover caught the wind like a sail and pulled the bike over. I clicked it out of gear when I moved it to mow my grass. Bars are slightly bent but its hardly noticeable. Would be cool to know what you decide to go with and how you like them compared to stock. One of the reasons I like the fz6 is because of the relaxed seating position with similar grunt as a super spot. I ride it like I'm running from the boggy-man tho and practically lay on the tank.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are some (myself included) that don't like the angle of your wrists with the stock bars. I ended up installing the FZ1 bars which are much easier on the wrists but don't have the rise of the stock bars. Certainly not like clip-ons, but lower than stock, which is what I wanted.

Whatever you do with replacements, I recommend steel bars (like the stock or FZ1s are), not aluminum. The steel bars do a better job of dampening vibrations. And the FZ6 can certainly generate some buzz.

D1ck3y0da

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually don't mind OEM bars either. Especially when my wife rides with me its nice to be in an upright position. I've ride +1 on gsxr750 and it was the worst thing ever!! I felt that 30 min ride for days.
This winter I plan on blacking out all the silver (triple tree, rearsets, radiator side cover thingys, handle bars) and I guess if it starts to bother me them being bent ill replace them mostlikly with a set of stock bars. Currently waiting for my r6 forks and a guy to get back to me about a spacer kit.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Stock bars are threaded at the end to accept the bar-end weights. These weights do reduce vibration. I'm strange...I happen to like the OEM bars.

Liking the stock bars does not make you strange....... there may be other reasons though :)

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
I came home a few weeks ago to my bike taking a nap. From the security camera across the street it looked like my cover caught the wind like a sail and pulled the bike over. I clicked it out of gear when I moved it to mow my grass. Bars are slightly bent but its hardly noticeable. Would be cool to know what you decide to go with and how you like them compared to stock. One of the reasons I like the fz6 is because of the relaxed seating position with similar grunt as a super spot. I ride it like I'm running from the boggy-man tho and practically lay on the tank.
"
I ride it like I'm running from the boggy-man tho and practically lay on the tank."
Same, I ride my FZ6 hard, eats rear tyres thou .. ah well!

Veloce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A nice middle ground between the stock and the FZ1 is the FZ6R bars. They’ve got the rise of the stock bars, with the angle of the FZ1. They come with the holes already there for the controls, and the stock bar ends thread perfectly into the ends.