Bent Bolt

Lagerhead

Reaction score
Visit site
So, i finally took some picture after my accident. I went down on October 1st while taking a left hand turn. I had just got new tires that day and decided to take the bike out for a spin. It was cold and wet out, not very optimal conditions. (Oh, btw i have only been riding for 4 months, and I had just purchased the FZ a week earlier). I leaned hard left into a turn, low speed, maybe 15mph. I think i may have leaned to much, because the next thing i saw was the pavement and my bike sliding and sparking away from me. As i got up and started walking towards the bike i left a great pain in my ankle, picked it up pushed it out of traffic. Luckily i didn't hit anyone/thing and no one hit me. Minimal damage, thanks to the frame sliders. Bent bars, bent clutch lever, scratched plastic, scratched stator cover, and broken turn signal. Got back on it and drove it home only to realize the extend of my injury, i had broken my ankle. To the ER..

Anyways, I was looking at the bike today, the frame slider that saved my bike from extensive damage is missing, not a big deal but the bolt is bent. I tried to remove it by hand, and it was catching. I was wondering if i go at it with a wrench, will it strip my threads? I was going to buy new frame sliders, but this may be a bigger problem then i thought. Should i just leave it? Any thoughts are appreciated.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
It should be fine. Iv taken bolts out like that before probably would help to heat it hp just a tad tho or maybe so lquid wrench

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have done the same as you and the bolt was bent at about 30 degrees.
I also had the same dilemma?

I was going to saw it down and use mole grips to unscrew it. In the end I just used a socket and wrench.
I had no problems removing it or installing new one's.

Good luck with your decision.

Nelly

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
No dont try to heat it up just put a wrench on it and go slow, and it should be fine.

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind, although that bolt may be in the thread you shouldn't be relying on the shoulder of that bolt to hold the frame to the engine. The engine is an integral part of the frame work so all the engine to frame bolts should be assembled correctly by binding the frame to the engine. The head of that bolt against the slider spool was the binder and if the spool is gone so is the bind of the frame to engine.

We've seen cracked frames because of loose bolts. Just saying...

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at this picture confirms the bolt is not holding the frame to the engine. I would not ride the bike like this. Replace the bolt with a shorter bolt and washer that will mate against the counter bore to bind the frame to the engine!
Maybe you have the original bolt and washer?

39109d1320946934-bent-bolt-010.jpg

Lagerhead

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't ride it anyways, broken ankle. Thanks for the imput, I am waiting for a new set of frame sliders to come in, I am assuming the new bolt/puck should hold everything together.

PipBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
How would you guys suggest I go about removing this bolt? This happened in a similar incident a couple months ago. It bent at a pretty severe angle though :( Going to go with the name brand sliders next time i think

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can still manage to get a wrench on the head of the bolt then I would put a wrench on it and slowly back it out, if you have some penetrating oil like kroil, pb blaster, or liquid wrench kroil being the absolute hands down best spray it first let it sit for a min or two then try to back it out. If you can't get a wrench on it try a pair of vice grips, worse case senerio you might have to grind some flat spots on the head to get a better grip on it

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How would you guys suggest I go about removing this bolt? This happened in a similar incident a couple months ago. It bent at a pretty severe angle though :( Going to go with the name brand sliders next time i think

That's a pretty severe bent bolt that's ground into the frame.

I don't see anyway of spinning it out the way it sits...

I personally would take the smallest grinder/cut off wheel I could find, and then grind JUST THE BOLT going very slowly so as not to weaken the frame further.

If you can see the center of the bolt or find it after some grinding, I'd center punch it, drill it out (get rid of any steel bolt that will hit the soft aluminum frame) and use an "easy out" to remove what's left.

If your not comfy with attempting it, it might be worth your while to bring it to a machine shop to limit further damage....

Hopefully there's enough frame left to bolt a new slider thru

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

That bolt is all but broke off right now. Get a 16oz or bigger hammer and knock it back the direction it came from. When it snaps off (and it will) then you deal with the next step of the problem which is getting it out. After this hopefully you can remove the rest of the slider and then vise grip the broken bolt out.

You could tape up the frame to protect it and hack off the remains of the slider first but it might actually help protect the frame.

Worst case is it breaks off deep inside. Which could end in pulling the frame halves apart but lets not got there yet....

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to take a 2nd look after reading the other 2 comment I didn't realize it was 90* from the frame! So after realizing that if it won't come out with vice grips or something similar I would try a easy out

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to take a 2nd look after reading the other 2 comment I didn't realize it was 90* from the frame! So after realizing that if it won't come out with vice grips or something similar I would try a easy out

Hopefully he gets a clean break and a rotary file on a pneumatic die grinder can be used to grind it down to a point where it is no longer eccentric. If the vice grips fail, then center tap, drill and extract (left hand bits), if that fails . . .

Lets not discount welding another bolt to its head as means to extract it. A couple of tack welds might be enough to get it out. << I do this before drilling and taping if the grips fail. . .

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually this might be your best option if you have access to a welder or know someone who does and if there is enough of the bolt that is fairly straight. Basicly if you have both of those you would go ahead and remove the rest of the slider and cut the bent part of the bolt off, then you find a nut just big enough to slip over the end of the bolts shank and weld it on (after disconnecting the battery) and pow put a wrench or socket on the new nut and it should back on out