beginners bike?

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
Not necessarily a fz6 but not a scooter, i would like a real bike you know what I mean? Hopefully I can find something and be able to learn :D

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry no pics yet, I got a little excited at the Honda/Yamaha dealership and I forgot to ask one of the guys to take a pic of me next to a bike :D, anyway I got excited because I got hopes I try a Honda CBR250 still a little tall and heavy for me, then the guy recommend a Rebel CMX250 and I was abel to almost flat foot and I was wearing super flat shoes so I am thinking with a 2" heel boots I will be ok and I was able to handle it better :cheer: He told me that the bike is 26.6" from the seat. What do you think of this bike to start (of course not buying it new!!!) He told me it is a city limit bike no faster than 65 mph but I guess to start I don't need anything faster then that and maybe never :(

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry no pics yet, I got a little excited at the Honda/Yamaha dealership and I forgot to ask one of the guys to take a pic of me next to a bike :D, anyway I got excited because I got hopes I try a Honda CBR250 still a little tall and heavy for me, then the guy recommend a Rebel CMX250 and I was abel to almost flat foot and I was wearing super flat shoes so I am thinking with a 2" heel boots I will be ok and I was able to handle it better :cheer: He told me that the bike is 26.6" from the seat. What do you think of this bike to start (of course not buying it new!!!) He told me it is a city limit bike no faster than 65 mph but I guess to start I don't need anything faster then that and maybe never :(

Excellent starter bike. He's right.. 65 is about as fast as you'll want to go on it. It has very usable low end torque. Fun bike to ride. We have them at our school.

D

Dave.TX

On another forum (TWTex) some guys have gotten the Honda CBR250 and love them. Now the newest Ninja 300 is coming and replacing the Ninja 250. Lots of people ride the 250's and never move up to a bigger displacement and are happy. Everyone is different: size, skills, needs, etc. The 250's get wonderful mileage that you just can't beat. The Honda CBR250 has great styling. As for the Rebel it's a good lighter cruiser. Some will move up to a 600 or 650 cruiser and live with those, still getting good mileage. Insurance for the smaller displacements is less too. I don't fault anyone for riding something they love (except Harley riders). Just being on two wheels and seeing the world is a wonderful thing.

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
I will soon post a photo, I have been really busy at work and some fam things going on but as soon as I can I will post it!!!

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
First of all to Purple... When i took my safety class a guy came in on a monster (yes he already had his endorsement) and he wasnt allowed to use it for the class. The instructor said we cant use anything over 300cc. so just something to keep in mind, i would hate to hear you get a bike and not get to use it.

So i am doing a test drive on a 2004 FZ6 tomorrow and was planing to get it for my first bike. So i was wondering if you guys think it would be ok for me but let me explain why.

-I have been riding mountain bikes for a long time so after getting a feel for the clutch (gears were nth new to me) i really flew thru the class. I got the figure 8 the first time and i only got points for lower my throttle on the swerve (after doing it flawlessly every single time before that...)

-I was told by my mom's friend and by my safety class instructor that i should get a 600cc bike. Iam 5'11'' and about 190lbs but i will be on the highway a lot after i am ready for it so my instructor said a 250 is really not safe when i was originally looking to get a KLX250sf

-Insurance for me is cheaper for me for the '04 FZ6 then it is for a new ninja 250... 4 times cheaper....

-So at the end of the first day my instructor said it would be ok if i tried out one of the bikes (im pretty sure it was a fz6) it was a 600cc yamaha and i only did a few rounds on the lot with it but, the power that you could just feel it was capable of scared the crap out of me but i knew to respect the bike and i really felt comfortable on it. Sure i still need a lot of practice but i feel like i have a lot of experience on two wheels.

-I know i will drop it eventually but the plan is to get sliders(i know it wount save much) and its a used bike so im will only cry for a few days when i drop it for the first time.. also im planing to pay around 2500-2800 for it so its not like im going out and buys a bike i could lose a few grand on...

Any input would be great so let me know if u have the time.. also dont feel like u are being harsh just let me have it as it is... ill post soon about how the test goes and try to figure out for sure what bike it was that i tried out...
thxs guys!!!

FazrDan

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone should start off with wheelies, you know the shoes with wheels in them. Then you should ride a skateboard for at least a year. Then (under supervision of course) get a good used tricycle. You can generally get your money back out of those on Craigslist. If at that point you feel it is for you then get a small bike with training wheels. Make sure it's used because you WILL lay it down at some point, everyone does. Only after you've mastered bicycles should you even consider getting a minibike. Most people should stop there and be thankfull if they still have all of their appendages.

Being facicious of course but I really do think people worry too much about this topic. I know I was really confused and concerned when reading all of the articles prior to getting my bike. The first street bike I ever rode was my FZ6 and I haven't had any problems. My next bike will be the Ninja 1000. Fast and sporty but keeping the upright seating position.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First of all to Purple... When i took my safety class a guy came in on a monster (yes he already had his endorsement) and he wasnt allowed to use it for the class. The instructor said we cant use anything over 300cc. so just something to keep in mind, i would hate to hear you get a bike and not get to use it.

So i am doing a test drive on a 2004 FZ6 tomorrow and was planing to get it for my first bike. So i was wondering if you guys think it would be ok for me but let me explain why.

-I have been riding mountain bikes for a long time so after getting a feel for the clutch (gears were nth new to me) i really flew thru the class. I got the figure 8 the first time and i only got points for lower my throttle on the swerve (after doing it flawlessly every single time before that...)

-I was told by my mom's friend and by my safety class instructor that i should get a 600cc bike. Iam 5'11'' and about 190lbs but i will be on the highway a lot after i am ready for it so my instructor said a 250 is really not safe when i was originally looking to get a KLX250sf

-Insurance for me is cheaper for me for the '04 FZ6 then it is for a new ninja 250... 4 times cheaper....

-So at the end of the first day my instructor said it would be ok if i tried out one of the bikes (im pretty sure it was a fz6) it was a 600cc yamaha and i only did a few rounds on the lot with it but, the power that you could just feel it was capable of scared the crap out of me but i knew to respect the bike and i really felt comfortable on it. Sure i still need a lot of practice but i feel like i have a lot of experience on two wheels.

-I know i will drop it eventually but the plan is to get sliders(i know it wount save much) and its a used bike so im will only cry for a few days when i drop it for the first time.. also im planing to pay around 2500-2800 for it so its not like im going out and buys a bike i could lose a few grand on...

Any input would be great so let me know if u have the time.. also dont feel like u are being harsh just let me have it as it is... ill post soon about how the test goes and try to figure out for sure what bike it was that i tried out...
thxs guys!!!

#1 things I would suggest: Instead of replying to this thread, start your own.. especially since, according to Yasko, this thread was started by an imaginary person :rof:

Seriously though, used FZ6 sounds like a very good fit for you. And it's absolutely NOT necessary to drop your first bike, but as you stated it'll hurt a lot less if it's used / cheap (emotionally, that is).

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
#1 things I would suggest: Instead of replying to this thread, start your own.. especially since, according to Yasko, this thread was started by an imaginary person :rof:

Seriously though, used FZ6 sounds like a very good fit for you. And it's absolutely NOT necessary to drop your first bike, but as you stated it'll hurt a lot less if it's used / cheap (emotionally, that is).

lol sorry im a noob... ill just copy and paste and start my own.. i just signed up for this forum so idk if u guys have that rule that i have to reply to so many topics before i can start my own but sorry for my noobness... lol

and i have been skateboarding since i was about 10... idk if you are serious tho...:confused:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
#1 things I would suggest: Instead of replying to this thread, start your own.. especially since, according to Yasko, this thread was started by an imaginary person :rof:QUOTE]

How hard is it to get a photo of a 5ft 98lbs female next to a sport bike???????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

She said she had been bike shopping....:rockon:

I hope it's real so we can get the story of her pulling it off... It will be kool to see a 98lbs person on a FZ6(1st bike)...:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How hard is it to get a photo of a 5ft 98lbs female next to a sport bike???????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not arguing with you at all. If she had said "I have nothing to prove to you" that would be one thing, but since she said she'd post a pic and it's been ages.. yeah.. I don't really get it, but who cares really?! This was a good, useful thread!

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Not arguing with you at all. If she had said "I have nothing to prove to you" that would be one thing, but since she said she'd post a pic and it's been ages.. yeah.. I don't really get it, but who cares really?! This was a good, useful thread!

No arguing from this side... I really like your help Erci, and I think you bring a lot to this site...:thumbup: I know for sure I'll need your help again very soon.:cheer:

I just hope she'll post photos...:rockon: I really would like to see her get a fz6 as her 1st bike....:thumbup:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I would not argue against the FZ6 but you do need to be careful. It can bite quickly. The throttle can be hard to modulate and the clutch engagement zone is narrow. Just make sure that you take the time to get used to the clutch and throttle. I accidentally pulled a pretty big wheele yesterday on the way home from work - was leaving a stop sign and too much throttle, too quick on the clutch and not forward on the bike. I was tired and a little agrivated, it did get my attention - have put over 35,000 miles on the FZ6.