before the FZ there was the RZ- and I bought one to restore

speedfrk

Custom Painter
Reaction score
www.nationalsuperbike.com
I've had FZ's and love them, but back in the day, the bike I always wanted to have but never got around to was a RZ350. Something about a smoker that still reminds me of the race track. So, when a friend told me he knew someone selling an ugly but awesome running RZ, I had to buy it to make my life complete ;) I'm reassembling it now but it was a frame up job. I started by changing the front tire valve stem that was leaking and pretty soon the whole bike was in pieces, lol. You can follow along on my website if interested- I'm getting ready to paint the body work and do the graphics. It is going back to a stock scheme since it was originally a Canadian bike and they are rare. This will be sort of a hybrid since it will be a US cafe style instead of the Canadian R model.
tn_WP_000624.jpg

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Absolutely love it. When I was young I thought I would always be riding 2 strokes. My first three bikes were a KH400, GT550 and a RD400. I had planned to get a RZ at the time but got a good deal on a GPZ550 then the 2 stroke's disappeared. You must post a video when you're done.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you should post. Just saw a faired RZ350 today, I assume Canadian spec as it was here in Toronto. Seeing that puff of blue smoke as it started and hear the quick revving motor gave me a chub

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always wanted to ride a 2 stroke street bike. Only ridden 2stroke dirt and 3/4 wheelers. Looks light too! whats that thing weigh, and hows it pull when its on the pipe?

speedfrk

Custom Painter
Reaction score
Absolutely love it. When I was young I thought I would always be riding 2 strokes. My first three bikes were a KH400, GT550 and a RD400. I had planned to get a RZ at the time but got a good deal on a GPZ550 then the 2 stroke's disappeared. You must post a video when you're done.

Absolutely will... here is the rolling frame and with the motor installed...
tn_IMG_0069.jpg

tn_IMG_0078.jpg

speedfrk

Custom Painter
Reaction score
I've always wanted to ride a 2 stroke street bike. Only ridden 2stroke dirt and 3/4 wheelers. Looks light too! whats that thing weigh, and hows it pull when its on the pipe?
Not sure what it weighs... well under 400 though. It is pretty entertaining to ride. No one home below 6000 rpm but after that, it's a hoot. This one was raced and has a lot of work done so I think it makes considerably more than the 59 HP that they rated the stock bike.

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice!!! I do love a nice RZ! have myself a 250 project bike that will end up around 421cc and of its tree when finished. Best part is the engine parts are mostly the same as banshee stuff :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very, very cool... Nice work BTW! :rockon:

I bet that thing would sound awesome with open expansion chambers!! ( super loud too!)

Makes me miss my 1975 RD 350(first street bike), (wrecked by a SW making a left in front of me in 1977).

Wasn't there an RZ 400 or 350 with the proverbial Yamaha , bumble bee yellow and black paint scheme? A US version maybe?

speedfrk

Custom Painter
Reaction score
Very, very cool... Nice work BTW! :rockon:

I bet that thing would sound awesome with open expansion chambers!! ( super loud too!)

Makes me miss my 1975 RD 350(first street bike), (wrecked by a SW making a left in front of me in 1977).

Wasn't there an RZ 400 or 350 with the proverbial Yamaha , bumble bee yellow and black paint scheme? A US version maybe?

Yep, there was a Kenny Roberts signature model in 85 that came in both red/white/blue or yellow/black with the Yamaha strobe stripes. The RD's are quickly becoming collector items- too bad you dodn't have yours anymore. This bike has DG pipes, so it is plenty loud and sounds awesome but they are 80's vintage stuff and really don't fit well- they touch the frame in places and the hangers just don't line up. So, I need to do some bracket mods...
tn_IMG_0091.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, there was a Kenny Roberts signature model in 85 that came in both red/white/blue or yellow/black with the Yamaha strobe stripes. The RD's are quickly becoming collector items- too bad you dodn't have yours anymore. This bike has DG pipes, so it is plenty loud and sounds awesome but they are 80's vintage stuff and really don't fit well- they touch the frame in places and the hangers just don't line up. So, I need to do some bracket mods...
tn_IMG_0091.jpg

Wish I still had it too. It was totaled when I "T-boned" him coming home from college. I just about died in that crash(literally). Took me several years before I got on a bike again, 5 years before another street bike, a 1980 Yamaha ((of course)) XS, 650 twin(Triumph look alike)..

I know any of the old parts, NOS or otherwise, are VERY expensive nowadays. I'd be very concerned about the middle, inner crankshaft seal. I'm not sure if the crank needs to come apart for the replacement. Very simple engine to work on thou.

I'd snag a restored/mint, yellow and black (bumble bee) RZ in a minute for a Sunday driver!! Loved the looks of that bike!!!

Last edited:

speedfrk

Custom Painter
Reaction score
You may want to take the "boost bottle" off all they do is crack intake boots. Do a search on banshee hq and you will find they do nothing for performance.

Well, I would have to put something back in it's place to fill the holes... I still have the factory tube in a bin but from what I can see, it is just as likely to crack the intake rubber. Plus, these carbs are not US or Banshee spec, they are Canadian/Japanese models. I can play around with it down the road but it runs perfect as is and the previous owner spent many hours on the jetting with a guy who owned/raced several RZ350's and now has a RZ500, Suzuki T500, Can Am 250 and an ultra rare 78 Hejira/Rotax GP bike- (I painted all of them- quite the nice collection!) Here's the tank for the Hejira- hand made aluminum.
tn_IMG_0022.jpg

speedfrk

Custom Painter
Reaction score
"I know any of the old parts, NOS or otherwise, are VERY expensive nowadays. I'd be very concerned about the middle, inner crankshaft seal. I'm not sure if the crank needs to come apart for the replacement. Very simple engine to work on thou."

The engine parts are generally available since they made RZ's into the 90's in other parts of the world. Plus, a lot of the Banshee parts crossover. The cosmetic and body parts are getting really hard to find and very expensive. You can probably find a nice RZ on ebay or CL if you just keep looking. They aren't cheap, but they are around and they are probably as good an investment as anything...

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Good God. I didn't see this. Very nice firecracker bike. Damn, now I want another bike. Has to be one of my favorite all time bikes.

Last edited: