BD43's mod saved my butt today!

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
You have given a great example here, but you are failing to realize that riding a motorcycle is all about preplanned defensive as you call it, which requires using your mental skills first.

You never want to rely on your physical skills first, you should rely on your mental skills to know where and what to look for first so that you never put yourself in a dangerous position. That means, you may have to cover the brakes, cover your horn, etc. But of course, you can also slow down, adjust your position, so that it never gets to that point.

"suddenly someone darts out from a connecting room without looking" As a rider, you should know where and what to look for so that this never happens. This is your mental skills kicking in. So you made a mental error and overlooked what you should have seen, now you have to rely on your physical skills, now in this case the horn will not stop any moving mass as it's too late. Hope your physical skill is good enough to get you out of that situation.

If your physical skills fail, what do you have left? Tjhess74, do you know the answer to this very simple question?

ok, you started off great, then dribbled into lala land. if you go back to the very beginning of this entire thread, you will see that 'my example' that you say is 'impossible' happened to the op. it just so happened that he was seen by the offender at the last possible second and he EVADED around her just in time. it was reactionary, not a preplanned event. lets not lose sight of his reaction to her 'suddenly appearing'. yes you can try to preplan as much as possible, but there will be times when people just dart out from seemingly nowhere.

as good as you think you are and as good as i believe me to be, i know that noone can ever see everything coming. if that were the case, there would be no accidents, cars bikes or otherwise. we also wouldnt need insurance.

as for the answer to your question, i do have a simple answer to your simple question...if your mental skills missed something, and your physical skills fail, or if the situation just gets the best ofyou, you do have something...its called a collision. some you can walk away from, others arent so fortunate.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, you started off great, then dribbled into lala land. if you go back to the very beginning of this entire thread, you will see that 'my example' that you say is 'impossible' happened to the op. it just so happened that he was seen by the offender at the last possible second and he EVADED around her just in time. it was reactionary, not a preplanned event. lets not lose sight of his reaction to her 'suddenly appearing'. yes you can try to preplan as much as possible, but there will be times when people just dart out from seemingly nowhere.

as good as you think you are and as good as i believe me to be, i know that noone can ever see everything coming. if that were the case, there would be no accidents, cars bikes or otherwise. we also wouldnt need insurance.

as for the answer to your question, i do have a simple answer to your simple question...if your mental skills missed something, and your physical skills fail, or if the situation just gets the best ofyou, you do have something...its called a collision. some you can walk away from, others arent so fortunate.

I don't think Vegas really went to Lala land on this. Well he does visit our beloved Los Angeles that is refered to as LaLa Land.

My answer to the question would be as is yours but you forgot the word Grace or a random number generated by the "Massa Confusa" (Massa Confusa) that says you will cruise through this situation with out a scratch!

And still!!!!:hijack: Hahaha!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
All these posts because some member decided to post up saying that the Horn is absolutely useless. This is a public forum, and sometimes there is very bad advise given and some of us have to respond and correct it. Just because somebody may find it useless and don't know how to use it doesn't mean it's worthless. It's there for a reason. Learn how to use it before the fact, not after it! Yes, we cannot rely on our horn all the time, I will agree to that so you better be able to rely on your physical skills as well. But relying soley on your physical skills first rather than your mental skills is absolutley the wrong way to go about riding a motorcycle.
100% agree. Having the quck presence of mind (mental skill) to alert or remind (horn) another of your presence is something not everybody practices. I've seen it where a motorist overreacts by uneccessarily swerving which, in itself, may lead others nearby to panic.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Incorrect!

Yes, you end up crashing, but the question was? If your mental and physical skills fail, what else can you rely on? And it' ain't no horn.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, i give up, whats the answer to the riddle? if its not the horn as you just said, then you are i are on the same page. when someones aiming for you, i thought you were a honk first, evade later kinda guy! is the answer luck?!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, i give up, whats the answer to the riddle? if its not the horn as you just said, then you are i are on the same page. when someones aiming for you, i thought you were a honk first, evade later kinda guy! is the answer luck?!

Anyone want to provide the answer?

If your mental skills fail, you then have to rely on your physical skills to get you out of the situation. If you your physical skills fail, then what is the last thing that we can rely on?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone want to provide the answer?

If your mental skills fail, you then have to rely on your physical skills to get you out of the situation. If you your physical skills fail, then what is the last thing that we can rely on?

Massa Confusa?!?! Massa Confusa :rof:

meditate.gif