Bay Area commuter advice

Roaddawg

Reaction score
Visit site
Calling out to all my fellow riders who commute in the Bay Area(Nor Cal). I'm going to start commuting into San Francisco from Napa on my bike come July and I'm looking for any advise or tips. I'll most likely take Hwy 80 over the Bay Bridge, as that is the most direct route. My exit is 9th Street off Hwy 80. I work 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday, so, yeah, I'll be right in the middle of commute time both directions.:( (Hence, why I got a bike) Just looking for anyone's advice and experiences riding in this area. Thanks.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't commute but I've ridden/driven from napa to SF many times.

The quickest way to get to I-80 is to take 29 down to Vallejo and then onto I-80 south. You shouldn't experience much traffic for this portion and if you do it's not much of a problem.
Then just follow I-80 to the bay bridge and into the city.

The bridge tolls you'll hit are Bay Bridge Southbound, and Carquinez Northbound, but you can use the carpool lanes during certain hours to go toll free.

It should take about an hour in perfect conditions. Of course during commute hours it's going to take longer, so get comfortable with lane splitting if you aren't already.

Hopefully someone else knows more realistic commute times.

On a side note, you're in napa? We should go for a ride sometime.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No experience riding this route, sorry. But, you are in California, so you should get comfortable with splitting if you're up for it. It will save you lots of time in stopped traffic. I started with filtering through traffic at red lights. From there, I moved up to traffic that was moving faster and faster. Hope this helps.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't commute but I've ridden/driven from napa to SF many times.

The quickest way to get to I-80 is to take 29 down to Vallejo and then onto I-80 south. You shouldn't experience much traffic for this portion and if you do it's not much of a problem.
Then just follow I-80 to the bay bridge and into the city.

The bridge tolls you'll hit are Bay Bridge Southbound, and Carquinez Northbound, but you can use the carpool lanes during certain hours to go toll free.

It should take about an hour in perfect conditions. Of course during commute hours it's going to take longer, so get comfortable with lane splitting if you aren't already.

Hopefully someone else knows more realistic commute times.

On a side note, you're in napa? We should go for a ride sometime.

Hey SovietRobot,
Thanks for the response. I know the routes there and have drove there in my cage many times. Riding a bike through there is the new part. I was looking for advice as to riding in that traffic on a bike and just general advice. "If you ride in the morning, look out for this area....Make sure you bring....Stay in this lane...", advice like. I'm working on my lane splitting. A few of the reasons I bought the bike was to get better MPG, free toll and car pool lane use during commute hours, and lane splitting. Thanks for any info.

As for Napa, yep, live here. Just went on a ride yesterday afternoon over Dry Creek Rd down Oakville Grade to 29, to 128, up into Berryessa north on Berryessa-Knoxville to Pope Canyon Rd into Angwin and back down the Trail to Napa. Great ride and tons of twisties. Passed by a lot of cruisers/Harleys but no sport bikes up in Berryessa. I was the only one up there in the evening.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey SovietRobot,
Thanks for the response. I know the routes there and have drove there in my cage many times. Riding a bike through there is the new part. I was looking for advice as to riding in that traffic on a bike and just general advice. "If you ride in the morning, look out for this area....Make sure you bring....Stay in this lane...", advice like. I'm working on my lane splitting. A few of the reasons I bought the bike was to get better MPG, free toll and car pool lane use during commute hours, and lane splitting. Thanks for any info.

As for Napa, yep, live here. Just went on a ride yesterday afternoon over Dry Creek Rd down Oakville Grade to 29, to 128, up into Berryessa north on Berryessa-Knoxville to Pope Canyon Rd into Angwin and back down the Trail to Napa. Great ride and tons of twisties. Passed by a lot of cruisers/Harleys but no sport bikes up in Berryessa. I was the only one up there in the evening.

When I ride freeways I usually stay in the carpool lane, because it's legal and usually not full of cars.
Lane splitting is very important in bumper to bumper traffic(which happens a lot during commute hours). I usually lane split if traffic is moving under 30~mph on the highway, and I never leave 1st gear.

The best advice I can give you is to treat every car as if they're going to cut you off or pull out in front of you. You are smaller, less protected, and less noticable. Plus there are some people out there who will cut you off on purpose.
It helps to know how wide your bike is and what you can fit through. In some parts of the freeway they add lanes without actually widening the roadway, which means less room in between cars.

Also, don't be afraid to show some courtesy to people who move over and give you room!

Dry Creek Rd, Oakville Grade, and Monticello are some of my favorite roads.
If you ever want someone to ride with I'm up for it.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're going to park on the street, buy a meter-feeder from SFmuni.com. MC parking is $0.25/hour ($2.50 all day) where I work at the end of Market Street.

sfcali86

Proud Dad
Reaction score
Visit site
just be carefull on the bridge especially after the tunnel going into the city id stay away from the far right lane as cars merge, might be hard for them to see you carefull with the lanes also since theres construction on the bridge, alot of bumps and especially that wind sometimes hold on tight, in the city all i can say is caredull when you split, alot of cars, alot of people in a rush I80 is solid to me just watch for CHP since they allways look for carpool violators so dont speed to much haha thats all i can tell you

GoGreen09

Reaction score
Visit site
when going home, really look ahead around the curves. traffic around pinole, hercules, and cummings skyway seem to stop for no reason. also, around the richmond area, watch for potholes and uneven pavement around the curves. oh yeah, when coming off the carquinez, fight the urge to shoot out of the toll booths. i've seen chps on bikes hiding right in front of the booths waiting for speeders. in fact i've already seen two unfortunate guys on bikes get tickets this way.

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest advantage you will have is Lane Splitting. This is a good thing if you are prepared if you are not it's going to bite ya some day.
What to do?
Make yourself as noticed as you can. Modulating headlights are really annoying to drivers but they do know you are there. A high vis vest with relector strips, Air horn used to ward off - not to get out of your way.
The above is a $300 investment --- cheaper than a medium priced helmet!
Do,Do,Do know how to use your "front" brake --- go to a parking lot and practice, practice and practice some more!
Always remember to have an escape route...there is no excuse for a motorcycle to be "rear ended"; you know when suddenly everything comes to a sudden stop. Yes you want to stop but somewhere down the line (split) so that sleepy driver behind you runs into the back of .... well not you! Don't forget escape also means the emergency lane if you really get caught flat footed --- do remember though, if you cross a SOLID line you are subject to a ticket.
Be careful of the "open" space; this means if there is a gap between cars anticipate some one is going to fill it, oh and if they don't see you, you are a gap!
Remember you will be getting to your destination sooner than most, DON'T GET SUCKED IN TO CHALLENGING YOURSELF, KEEPING UP WITH ANOTHER SPLITTER, BRAGING, WHAT EVER... and getting yourself hurt! There is no shame in being normal and wait a few more .....seconds, knowing your ability is limited to... 20 mph... I myself have been out there for a long, long time and limit myself to 45 and slowing all the time because I know along with long, long time my reation time is slow, slow, slow = brains, brains,brains!
You will loose evey time if you tangle with a cage!
If it helps!
Ed
Oakland

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
is there a way that people practice splitting? I am a new b(about 1500 miles riding) and have never split before. I find it really intimidating looking down that tunnel between cars especially given stories of people opening car doors and such.

did people start in a parking lot with cones or just go out and do it?

Roaddawg

Reaction score
Visit site
is there a way that people practice splitting? I am a new b(about 1500 miles riding) and have never split before. I find it really intimidating looking down that tunnel between cars especially given stories of people opening car doors and such.

did people start in a parking lot with cones or just go out and do it?

I'm with you on this. I'm a newb with about 1500 miles also. I've started splitting by passing two to four cars at the traffic lights when I see a good opening. Anytime I come up to a light, I see if there's enough room to split. I'm up to about 10-12 cars at the traffic lights and feel ok. I'm still working my way up to the splitting in stop-n-go traffic. I've found it funny how I'll split to the front of the light and when it turns green, I'll have one of the cars next to me "race" me and pass me up. It's happened a couple of times. I just laugh. People are such retards.:Flip:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I was scared of lane splitting/filtering too, but one day I was sitting in traffic and just jumped in head first.

It's just like everything else about riding a motorcycle, it's learned, and it never hurts to practice.

People to tend to get jealous, especially when you filter up to the front at a stop light, and they'll try to block you or beat you. Your best bet is to get out of their way, as they will win if you hit them.

Sometimes during long lines of cars, the light will turn green before you get to the front.
When this happens I look for a gap and use my turn signal and merge back in line.

My biggest fear about filtering was stalling the engine or not being quick enough with taking off. So if you don't have excellent clutch/throttle control, work on that first!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No experience riding this route, sorry. But, you are in California, so you should get comfortable with splitting if you're up for it. It will save you lots of time in stopped traffic. I started with filtering through traffic at red lights. From there, I moved up to traffic that was moving faster and faster. Hope this helps.

Great advice here...like Travis said, if you're up for it, take advantage of it. Practice when the vehicles are stopped at red lights and go from there. Just becareful of the GAPS! Always be aware that's it's an open invitation for a cager.

There are several lane splitting video's on this forum. Try a search and see what you come up. I think Wavex had a nice clip for his commute in Southern Ca. Make sure you are aware of all the rules for splitting.

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey you new to riding and new to splitting are starting to scare me. Mainly you are at just that place I use to be and what I know now vs what I didn't know then ---all I can say is I'm Lucky!
Best advice is if you can find a mature rider/splitter and spend some time with them both in the class room and then out on the road.
If you can't find this person; an I mean don't follow anyone in hopes of learning, sit yourself down and make a list of what you think are the issues that will get you in trouble. "Close your eyes" and imagine those events and figure out what you will do "if"..... Trying to figure it out when it happens is 1/2 second too late! Mentally you have to go to every possible situation and create a routine in your mind from the basics to extreme. Now remember since you are new to this there are things you wouldn't even be able to prepare for because you just don't know... this where the experienced rider comes in..... gee, wow.... I didn't even think of that.... Way to much to list here.
Per the last thread, if you all only have 1500 miles of total experience, stay Normal, you are not anywhere near ready to split lanes and will be a statistic in the next 1000 miles! Example like you said cut line to the Light and when it turns green you're off ---- SMACK you just got plowed by the vehicle who miss judged the yellow light and it was full Red when they entered the intersection. You so focused on those cars on either side of you think you need to scoot like a dragster --- oppps, guess I should have looked both directions and that opposite direction left turn only lane!!!!! Speaking of which you should be doing that at every intersection you cross, parked car, dog off leash, pick up truck with something that may fly out etc...
Now with all this I know you are going to do it anyway... JUST START SLOW AND EASY!
Ed

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to commute across the bay bridge to redwood city so I sorta know this route. The folks who've chimed in have already hit most points, here's what I'd repeat for effect and add:
-- Stay in the carpool lane as much as possible. I tend to stay in the far left side of the lane.
-- As has been said, just pretend that no one sees you and if they do, they don't like/respect you. I love the "...if they don't see you, you're a gap...". Brilliant.
-- Get a fastrak unit for your bike. I've got mine mounted up, inside the fairing and it works just fine. You might miss commute time on your bike and it just kinda blows to have to stop, take off glove, fish out wallet...
-- Work on lane-sharing in less tense settings than bay area morning commute traffic. And then when you do attempt it during your commute, start by taking small steps. Pass a few cars at a time, then get back into the flow.
-- Don't get complacent when you're not filtering. If I've been riding along in heavy traffic, staying in the same lane, I'll move from side to side in the lane just to help remind those around me that I'm there. Just be certain that you check for other motorcycle riders before making such a shift as someone may be near and not ready for your move.
-- Some folks like headlight modulators. I think they're a good enough idea though I don't have one and don't know that I'd bother. I have gotten into the habit of turning on my high beams whenever I start splitting.
-- As has been said, practice front brake stops. And, though I know it's not taught in the msf course, I ride always with two fingers on the front brake lever.
-- I'm like vegas, in that I keep my left thumb on the horn at all times. I'll use it to wake up drivers who're about to do something stupid -- you know the ones: you see them with their phone plastered to their ear, you see them glance in their mirror to see if there's room in the lane next to them, but you know full well that they did not see you -- toot, toot, wake 'em up...
-- Scan, scan, scan, scan, and scan some more. Do not allow your mind to wander while lane-sharing. When I arrive at a destination after having spent time filtering through traffic, my mind is super alert/awake. My eyes go back and forth from car to car. You may find that, in time, you can "read" a great deal of driver intent through the "body language" of their car. You'll see what I mean...
-- Scan, scan, scan for "outs." Don't get going at such a high rate of speed while splitting such that the speed differential, between you and the slower car traffic, is too high. I'm sure that it's written into the law and since I don't know it, I won't guess. I know that there's a limit to how much faster we can travel than slower traffic. If you find out what it is, let us know. In any case, don't be stupid or greedy about speed.
-- Expect drivers to not use their signals when lane changing. And if they do use it, it'll be one of those "start to change and then turn on the signal" sort of moves. YOU don't exist...
-- Know the width of your bike and the space it'll fit through. Even though I lane-share all of the time, I touched mirrors with a truck just last week. Really minor, didn't even change the position of the mirror. But it still happened. Not good. I've ridden with my mirrors pulled in before and even did it right in front of a cop (though he wasn't a chp).
-- There are some drivers who will just hate on you for your ability to keep moving. There are a number of reasons why folks might try and block you from lane-sharing. I don't know 'em all and so won't try to cite them. If you get behind one of them, take a breath, and wait 'em out. You'll eventually get past them. Don't get aggro.
-- I like to acknowledge nice drivers who make space. It's your call how much attention you want to divert from your forward travel, forward-looking, attention. I usually just give a quick wave when folks make a little room for me.
-- Keep the bike on the power -- low gear, like soviet suggests. I don't stay in first, but you'll have to find your groove.
-- Definitely don't allow ego to factor into your lane-sharing. If another rider comes up on your tail while splitting, move out of the way and let them pass.

Finally -- Fast reflexes come from a relaxed body. Don't ride flat-footed, keep on the balls of your feet. Breathe and do a quick mental scan of your body from time to time as you're riding. Are you super tense in your arms/neck/shoulders? If so, take a breath, allow those muscles to relax. Smile inside your helmet, you're riding!

You'll do fine.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to commute across the bay bridge to redwood city so I sorta know this route. The folks who've chimed in have already hit most points, here's what I'd repeat for effect and add:..
SNIPPED

...Do not allow your mind to wander while lane-sharing. When I arrive at a destination after having spent time filtering through traffic, my mind is super alert/awake. My eyes go back and forth from car to car....

SNIPPED

I didn't need to keep the entire quote, but this is a great post! I agree with 95% of what you wrote, in particular the comment about being "awake" after enduring a long lane-splitting session.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest advantage you will have is Lane Splitting. This is a good thing if you are prepared if you are not it's going to bite ya some day.
What to do?
Make yourself as noticed as you can. Modulating headlights are really annoying to drivers but they do know you are there. A high vis vest with relector strips, Air horn used to ward off - not to get out of your way.
The above is a $300 investment --- cheaper than a medium priced helmet!
Do,Do,Do know how to use your "front" brake --- go to a parking lot and practice, practice and practice some more!
Always remember to have an escape route...there is no excuse for a motorcycle to be "rear ended"; you know when suddenly everything comes to a sudden stop. Yes you want to stop but somewhere down the line (split) so that sleepy driver behind you runs into the back of .... well not you! Don't forget escape also means the emergency lane if you really get caught flat footed --- do remember though, if you cross a SOLID line you are subject to a ticket.
Be careful of the "open" space; this means if there is a gap between cars anticipate some one is going to fill it, oh and if they don't see you, you are a gap!
Remember you will be getting to your destination sooner than most, DON'T GET SUCKED IN TO CHALLENGING YOURSELF, KEEPING UP WITH ANOTHER SPLITTER, BRAGING, WHAT EVER... and getting yourself hurt! There is no shame in being normal and wait a few more .....seconds, knowing your ability is limited to... 20 mph... I myself have been out there for a long, long time and limit myself to 45 and slowing all the time because I know along with long, long time my reation time is slow, slow, slow = brains, brains,brains!
You will loose evey time if you tangle with a cage!
If it helps!
Ed
Oakland

yes & thanks...I need to practice & learn to ride our freeways & highways