Battery tender: diconnect battery from bike electronics or not?

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Hello, just a quick question here. (after searching the forum for a while)

When I put a battery tender on my bike, do I need to unplug the battery from the bike's electronics first? or can I plug it on the battery just like that?

I just want to keep my battery in good shape without having to reset the FZ6 computer. (which happens when you unplug the battery I think)

Thanks for your inputs.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No you don't need to disconnect the battery, which is a good thing considering where on the bike it is located!

I have an Optimate 3 Plus and the tender cable is permanently connected to the battery terminals. The cable is inside the frame and when I need to use it I just pull the end out of the hole in the right side of the frame behind the fairing.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Thanks guys!

It's been 3 weeks since i have ridden my bike due to snow and freesing temps :(
Indeed winter's in Belgium.

Last edited:

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys!

It's been 3 weeks since i have ridden my bike due to snow and freesing temps :(
Indeed winter's in Belgium.
Its been pretty cold in the UK too, please can you make sure its nice and warm in June as a few of us are coming to Lepur for a long weekend to see the war graves, battlefields and test the belgian beer ! :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a good question considering there is usually a symbionic relationship between the charging system and the battery. The battery also acts as a capacitor, filtering alternating current ripple. This means that if you have a charger without the properly designed electronics (error detection and shutdown) with a bad battery, you could expose your electronics to damage.
Most of what I've seen in these tenders have been good design with protective circuitry. Cheap battery chargers have no protection and if you have a bad battery and/or hook the charger at reverse polarity.....? :eek:
So use a known well designed tender/charger.

Another tip in case you don't know this: You can jump start your bike from a car but Don't have the car engine running! This can damage your regulator.
Wear protective eyeware when working with batteries. Batteries that are not healthy can gas and ignite. They will produce hydrogen and oxygen and spark it off. When it explodes it showers you with sulfuric acid on top of the projectiles!
Check this out: Battery Safety

Be safe and healthy and have lots of fun!!!! :rockon:

Dad

Last edited:

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
That's a good question considering there is usually a symbionic relationship between the charging system and the battery. The battery also acts as a capacitor, filtering alternating current ripple. This means that if you have a charger without the properly designed electronics (error detection and shutdown) with a bad battery, you could expose your electronics to damage.
Most of what I've seen in these tenders have been good design with protective circuitry. Cheap battery chargers have no protection and if you have a bad battery and/or hook the charger at reverse polarity.....? :eek:
So use a known well designed tender/charger.

Another tip in case you don't know this: You can jump start your bike from a car but Don't have the car engine running! This can damage your regulator.
Wear protective eyeware when working with batteries. Batteries that are not healthy can gas and ignite. They will produce hydrogen and oxygen and spark it off. When it explodes it showers you with sulfuric acid on top of the projectiles!
Check this out: Battery Safety

Be safe and healthy and have lots of fun!!!! :rockon:

Dad

Thanks Dad,

I will purchase one of these and put it on the battery until my first ride :thumbup:
RAD | Optimate OPTIMATE 4 (accessoires, helmen, moto, motorfiets, motorhelmen, motorijder, motorkledij, motowinkel, online winkel, RAD, scooter, shop, uitrusting, wisselstukken) | Moto kledij, helmen en accessoires

And indeed, A battery can be quite the grenade if short circuited :eek:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a powerlet socket just inside the fairing. Now I can either power my GPS/cellphone etc or plug my battery tender in to the same socket.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Oxford 600 optimizer. It has a plug which is permanent, so like the others is very easy to use.
My only complaint is that the battery connection bolts are to short to keep both the optimizer and my external power outlet in place. I will have to purchase longer bolts. Or can I wire the power outlet else where with ease?

Nelly